Boy do I feel like an idiot! Any info - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Boy do I feel like an idiot! Any info

Hey everyone I was cleaning the bike last night and was taking the gas tank side pieces off and stripped out a screw. ended up having to drill it out; the operation was a success though. But now I am one screw short to put the piece back on. I was wondering if these could be bought at an auto parts place or do I need to get from the dealer. If any one has input please let me know.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM

You might be able to find it at a well stocked local hardware store. But you're going to be looking for a stainless steel, metric, pan head cap screw. Locally, we have ACE hardware that carries a very wide assortment and I've bought a few replacement screws for the V there. I'd say try them, or something similar.

Corey
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:31 PM

I found that the threads are just off enough that our local Jerry's (like an Ace Hardware) metric pan heads would not work! Had to order from the dealer (like $3 screw, or I got screwed, either way) but it worked perfectly.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
I found that the threads are just off enough that our local Jerry's (like an Ace Hardware) metric pan heads would not work! Had to order from the dealer (like $3 screw, or I got screwed, either way) but it worked perfectly.
Take one of the other matching screws to Lowes and match it. I think it is an M8 80 but if you take it with you you can match it exactly. That's what I did.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
I got mine from Bike bandit. Go to the OE parts. I went ahead and got 12. just so I would have them. I think the same ones fit the windshield. I had them in four days.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
Interesting. Maybe someone chucked an american screw in the metric bin? The bike definitely uses metric screws and they're standardized so I don't know why they'd be 'just off enough' but either way, sounds like you got the problem solved.

Corey
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info really appreciate it.
Golfmuch Thanks for the info on bikebandits.com in the future if I have any mishaps will go there for parts.
Great site.

Last edited by JERRYES; 08-25-2008 at 06:26 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 PM

Yeah, I kinda thought metric was metric, but I had two guys tell me (one was a dealer, so take it as you will) and the other was a guy from a local nuts & bolts shop (which I do trust a lot) and they said the exact same thing: sometimes they tend to be off just enough so you have to buy from the dealer. And I'm positive they weren't standard.

Odd, but oh well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 AM

Pitch? Coarse/Fine?

I believe you might have been bitten by the thread pitch or coarse/fine thread issue.

I've not googled or looked at a book, but I recall something like 1 and 1.25 thread pitches. One of those two being the fine and the other the coarse.

Cheers,

BBM
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's an M5 with 0.8 pitch (not 0.9)... Use a quality #2 Phillips screwdriver, and push in much harder than you turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode