If you could change the way your V runs... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you could change the way your V runs...

what would you do? What do you currenty not like about how your Versys runs? please specify what model - year.

i'll start. I have a '15 650lt. I would like more power below 4000, it's really vacant there.

Your turn - Steve

Last edited by Steve in Sunny Fl; 02-17-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm not that picky. My bike runs great IMO. I just twist the throttle harder when I want more ump in any gear.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
what would you do? What do you currenty not like about how your Versys runs? please specify what model - year.

i'll start. I have a '15 650lt. I would like more power below 4000, it's really vacant there.

Your turn - Steve
Why is it lacking power under 4,000 rpm? What type of gasoline and engine oil are you using? is your air filter dirty and/or overoiled? Are you too heavy?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Thought It

Quote:

Your turn - Steve
That issue has been addressed by me, that is the nature of the beast, because we have a closed loop, the only way you will get better response is to change the map, at 3000 RPM it really doesn't like it, my 07 I could leave in 6th and take it to 2500 RPM , sure cranking it didn't lift the front wheel, but it didn't feel like the 2015 feels at 3000 RPM like it is going to die or suffer a heart attack. I have played with the TPS and posted my results elsewhere. Really curious to see how it performs now that the valve shim is done.

FYI , I frequently hit the rev limiter, if that indicates how I ride, typically never go below 4000 RPM except coming to a stop, typically hit 6000 plus in first and second gear, then drop down to 4500 to 5000 RPM in the remaining gears, cruising is usually around 5500 RPM, no matter what the sped limit, that is if I am in a reduced speed limit, I will be in 4th or 5th at 5500 RPM.

Last edited by onewizard; 02-17-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Your turn - Steve
I would improve the suspension quality and perhaps ad a slipper and assist clutch most newly designed bikes have these days to lighten clutch lever pull.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Here's a video I did on slipper clutch function. I agree, it would be nice on the versys, although I haven't a downshift lockup yet which is scary on a big bike.

Fuel octane / oil has nothing to do with low rpm power being vacant. Onewizard is right, it's mapping. I don't have any experience on earlier than '15 versys, but I've read that they are much stronger below 4k.

as far as riding below 4k - if the power was there, we'd do it. Plus the exptra power is nce if you mess up gear selection and need some power.

It isn't necessary to accept what the factory gave you all the time. the TPS adjustment and the balance hose for the earlier bikes proves that. Steve

Old 02-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have an 08 and if there is one thing id change it would be an endless gas tank so i dont have to keep filling it up =p

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Old 02-18-2017, 12:27 PM

With the 15' the one thing I really have trouble adjusting to is throttle. It is sooooo touchy it's hard to maintain a steady speed especially at low speed. Other wise it runs great and adjusting to the power band is easy enough.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
....i'll start. I have a '15 650lt. I would like more power below 4000, it's really vacant there....
Having had two Gen 1s, plus a Gen 3 - NO question that the Gen 1s are WAY better below 4,000rpm, but I believe the Gen 3 suffers because of the change in the cams. On the other hand - WAY-Y-Y better fuel mileage on my '15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Why is it lacking power under 4,000 rpm? What type of gasoline and engine oil are you using? is your air filter dirty and/or overoiled? Are you too heavy?
It's the nature of the "beast".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
With the 15' the one thing I really have trouble adjusting to is throttle. It is sooooo touchy it's hard to maintain a steady speed especially at low speed. Other wise it runs great and adjusting to the power band is easy enough.
Have you ensured that your throttle cables are properly adjusted? I have NO problems w/ my '15, EXCEPT below 4,000 in the higher gears (NOT a touchy throttle).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
More bottom, more mid, more top..More everywhere, but no more weight!
Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Yep, the cables are adjusted properly (according to the PDF manual) although it does "loosen" up a bit at the handlebar end and requires "checking" on a regular basis. Maybe just a softer spring and more HP than what I was used to with the 1500 Vulcan.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
As others have mentioned, loose throttle cables, play in throttle, will make the throttle a lot more touchy. Lube cables also. There should be no play in properly adjusted throttle.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in