Radiator Fan Switch - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Radiator Fan Switch

Just want to throw this out for a discussion and see what ya all think.

So riding in Oregon, on my normal commute and little rides, has been very wet this winter. I don't really ever see the rad fan kick on unless I'm sitting for a long time. The other day after going thru the drive-thru and long wait at a light, my high temp light came on. But as soon as I was able to get up to speed, the air flow cooled it back down in just a few seconds. After some looking, the fan motor is basically seized. I believe this is due to getting wet once or twice a day and never running.

I've ordered a new 'used' fan for $70 on flea-bay to solve my short term problem but I suspect this will happen again if the fan never gets to exercise itself.

The question is: What if I wire up a little switch to manually exercise the fan motor? I think it would be simple to send a ground signal to the relay, through a diode. Then I could just flip the switch when I'm getting close to my destination and the fan would run for a few seconds and possibly fling and the water and grime out of the motor. It would be even better if the switch has some sort of timer set for something like a minute that would auto shut off so I could just randomly mash the button as I'm riding around in the liquid sunshine.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i had the same problem when i first got my versys so i installed a used ninja fan and havnt had an issue sense, i think its mostly the openness of the fan motor that causes them to go out, mine got packed up my sand sized rocks, i dont think you really need to have an inline switch just replace it and ride

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
2 things come to mind:
a) fender extender
b) temperature sensor

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
2 things come to mind:
a) fender extender
b) temperature sensor
a) Check - One of the first things I ordered and installed
b) Temp sensor is on the list. The problem is my list is growing faster than I can afford to buy things.

The new fan will be here this week so in the mean time I'll avoid the long drive thru lines.

Thanks for the feedback

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i doubt your temp sensor has gone bad (your over heat warning light came on right?) just replace your fan and fuse (even if it didnt blow id still replace it) go for a ride then let the bike sit and idle if the fan kicks on your golden if not then worry about more things down the chain (sensors and relays and wires)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode