Nice article on Traction Control Systems - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice article on Traction Control Systems

Hey Guys,

Don't know if this is on Versys yet, but sure it will be soon enough.
TCS's are complex but this article I found online from 2009 was the best
and very helpful. The site asks you to join like that's the only way to get
the article but I found I could just click on the blue, "Download PDF text"
on the right and my PC sucked right down, no probs.

link here:
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...or_Motorcycles

Enjoy!

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The Versys 1000 comes with Traction Control. I just keep it in the minimal setting. You can turn it off but when you shut off the engine and start it back up its back on.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

So, if the TCU is on when the bike is turned off does it remember that setting when the bike is re-started?

There seem to be 3 levels of TCU's out there:
1. Remembers nothing, always returns to default "ON".
2. Returns to previous settings if it was "ON" before engine switch-off.
3. You can set it and forget it if wanted.

Also, supposedly it's very helpful for more sporty riding. Supposed to work with ABS to improve safety.
Does your experience say otherwise? (And thanks for replying).

Just curious,

Andrew

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I keep it on setting #1 only turned it off a couple of times. When i had it off and shut the bike off then re-fired it it went back to setting #1..........https://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/te..._3-mode_e.html
Haven't had any issue with it. I nailed the throttle in a slick spot once and i could feel the TC kick in for a brief second...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:18 AM

Garage
The TC on the Versys remembers the setting on restart if it was on when you last ran the bike. If TC was off, it defaults to setting 1 on restart.

Generally the TC is pretty hard to notice when it kicks in. I have not noticed any noises or feedback at the controls when it kicks in like ABS. It generally just feels like you're suddenly short on power.

It doesn't say in the page weljo links to but it also controls or reduces wheelies. The front wheel will float a bit on hard acceleration in setting 1 but setting 3 is supposed to pretty much prevent wheelies.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The only time I kicked in the traction control on the Concours was a scary situation. I was pulling out from a gas station going right. Had to cross some new construction for lane widening to the usable road. As I was pulling out, I noticed a Dodge Charger pulling out from the street before the gas station and knew he was going to get on it because of approaching traffic on the main road.

I gave it some throttle to stay out in front of him and the rear tire lost traction a little on some sand that was on the road. Without traction control, the tire would have found solid road and I would have been gone. With traction control the throttle was chopped and I was losing forward momentum. The problem was that I didn't truly understand how the Kawasaki traction control was implemented and what I needed to do. I finally closed the throttle which disengaged the traction control and allowed me to accelerate the hell out of there.

This all happened in a second or two, but felt like minutes when it was happening because so many decisions had to be made.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't mind having ABS (I wouldn't intentionally buy it though), but I don't believe I would buy a bike with traction control. Just doesn't seem "right" if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm a bit too old fashioned, or maybe just too old.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I don't mind having ABS (I wouldn't intentionally buy it though), but I don't believe I would buy a bike with traction control. Just doesn't seem "right" if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm a bit too old fashioned, or maybe just too old.
I'm not that old fashioned or old but I didn't want a bike with TC until I rode the Africa Twin for a day and it was really quite nice on a low enough setting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode