• 2 Post By chid
  • 2 Post By chid
  • 1 Post By Motojunkee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Headlights

Years ago I spent several hours over a few days setting the headlights on both of my Gen 1s. I've also done some work on my Gen 3, but can't say that I'm as happy w/ its lights as I am w/ the '08s. I try to NOT ride at night, but had to (on my '08) for a meeting Wednesday night, which is why I'm starting this thread.

PROPERLY set-up, I get VERY good coverage on LOW-BEAM that seems to cover somewhat MORE than 90 degrees laterally (I can see both ditches, as well as 'critters' in them, quite well, probably as close as 15 to 20 yards ahead) w/ a sharp "cut-off" just below the rear-window on vehicles I'm following, as well as VG distance coverage. When I go to HIGH-BEAM it seems to 'drill' a circle at the center of the "cut-off" w/ about 1/3 ABOVE the "cut-off", so gives me a fairly long view of the road. The light (stock H7 bulbs) is very "full" through-out.

Now for the Gen 3: [The following is by recollection, as I haven't ridden the Gen 3 at night for about 3 months.] The lateral parts of its low-beam appear to have several distinctly separate portions, probably as a result of the headlight 'lens' itself having 'creases' (for want of a better word...) much like the old round headlights that cars had, and I do NOT have the same 'sense' that the coverage is as good, or as extensive as on my '08, on which the headlight 'lens' is clear plastic, w/ NO 'creases'.

Just some thoughts for you.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting thread eddie. We just paid a deposit for a building lot out of town, so I've been considering how the short commute will go once I'm riding outside of the city. I'm a shift worker, so alot of my work rides are in the dark.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I couldn't stand the poor light from OEM headlights....
here are 2 photos wit ONE projector HID, totally dark road.
Now I have the second balast, I can hardly wait to see them both in action.....in the spring
HID projector has a much wider "pattern", covering almost 180.
I love riding at night!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg High beam HID.jpg (46.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Low beam HID.jpg (43.1 KB, 91 views)
Urbanengineer likes this.

Versys 2015 Green

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
what I found throughout the years:

a) best way to adjust is by aiming a tad too high, ride (sitting, luggage and wind effect), and modulate the front brake to dive the fork and view the center spot moving on the road to find your favorite depth. Adjust until you don't have to hit the brake to have your chosen angle.

b) too much light is blinding myself. depending on how new/reflecting is the road signage, I might ride on low beams! I will never use HID (mostly illegal anyway, and I'm not that much of a prick). Entirely satisfied with sylverstar ultra II.

c) it's never been about surrounding light, always been about how deep ahead I can reach. If I needed flood lights, I would get an aux kit.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Interesting thread eddie. We just paid a deposit for a building lot out of town, so I've been considering how the short commute will go once I'm riding outside of the city. I'm a shift worker, so alot of my work rides are in the dark.
I try NOT to ride at night, but IF it's necessary - I have no qualms about riding the '08....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:03 PM

I don't use HID in a halogen reflector, I installed 2 projectors that put the light exactly where it's needed.... on the road.
This is not the cheap chinese HID that you install in your halogen mirror and puts the light all over the place

here is the cutoff and second photo is on the road, you can clearly see where the light goes, I never had somebody flashing me because of the lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cutoff HID projector.jpg (32.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg low_beam spread.jpg (55.1 KB, 93 views)
quexpress and Urbanengineer like this.

Versys 2015 Green

Last edited by chid; 01-14-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:53 PM

I found this comparison between HID in a halogen mirror and a HID projector....it speaks volumes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hid-light-setup-projector-vs-nonprojector.jpg (33.1 KB, 84 views)
quexpress and Urbanengineer like this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread Eddie, I won't post anything again

Versys 2015 Green
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
With one low and one high beam bulb you can never get the night time illumination you get in a car, even if you upgrade to extra bright bulbs. I found the best solution was to add some aux LED lights. These put out enormous amounts of light connected to the high beam circuit and draw very little power. Very happy with the result. I bought these off of AliExpress for $90 for the pair. A Denali mount for the bike cost $40 used. The addition was well worth it for riding at night in areas with no street illumination. Lots of threads on this site on "aux lights".
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread Eddie, I won't post anything again
chid - keep it up - you did NOT "hijack" my thread...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here is what mine looks like. with PIAA led driving lights and Rigid long range night killers. I also am running the Silvania h7 bulbs.

Buffalo_Bob likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
Here is what mine looks like. with PIAA led driving lights and Rigid long range night killers. I also am running the Silvania h7 bulbs.

Please don't run those with oncoming traffic, you are blinding other road users.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
...PROPERLY set-up, I get VERY good coverage on LOW-BEAM that seems to cover somewhat MORE than 90 degrees laterally (I can see both ditches, as well as 'critters' in them, quite well, probably as close as 15 to 20 yards ahead)....
Rode the other night, so I will change the ABOVE line to:

(I can see both ditches, as well as 'critters' in them, quite well, probably as close as 2 or 3 yards ahead!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode