charging system/headlight issues - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
rbl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
charging system/headlight issues

Any suggestions appreciated!

When I started my bike this morningt I noticed the headlamp was out, no low or high beam and no high beam indicator. Still have all my other lamps working. Once I got to work I checked fuses for headlamp - ok, tested at the headlamp harness - no power. Doing what comes natural, I tried to start the bike just to play with the switches etc but it barely cranked over. It will start and run with a jump, but cranks very slow and clicks without a jump.

The only fuse I have yet to check is the main fuse under the left side panel, but I am thinking it should not run at all without that fuse.

I have the battery on charge and will test the charging system at lunch. Thoughts?

Yesterday I FINALLY ordered my givi e21's and rack, and it just never fails that when I spend money on non-essentials some vital part craps out! And just out of warranty too!

And of course I have an overnight trip planned for this weekend.

Thanks!

Richard

RBL

07 Versys, orange.
givi e21's & pelican 1550
warm&safe dual heattroller
fender extender (unknown brand)
rear hugger
madstad bracket
vario windscreen
handguards (dr650?)
klr front and rear signals
hb crashbars
flatfoot
lowering pegs
ctech fuse panel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:53 AM

As I understand it, the headlight does not have power until you start the motor. When you turn the key, the tail and "side" lights come on. When you depress the starter and start the motor, the headlamp will light. I view this as a good feature since most bikes have a "load-shed" relay to shut the headlight off while you are starting the motor. This system save one power up of headlight bulb each time. Particularly nice with my HID setup.

Anyway, are you sure you do not have power to the headlight harness even after the motor is running?

-- Hank.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 PM

You may have already done this, but it's not listed above so I'll throw it out there. Step one should always be to check your battery connections. A loose one can mimic other problems and cause you to spend money needlessly.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
rbl

Fortunately I work for a shop and we have a very nice midtronics charging system tester. Here is what I found: Battery tested at 145cca after charging - which is ok. Battery terminals both tight and clean. Cranking voltage is good (9.76v), but there is no charging voltage (0v). Checked all the fuses including the main, checked for power at the headlight harness with bike running - none.

There was another thread on whining noises - I have noticed it lately but took it to be the fuel pump. No whining noise today!

On the very bright side, turns out my in service date was last October, not last August like I thought, so I still have warranty. My BCAA+ membership covers towing so it is off to Burnaby Kawasaki first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the input, I'll update here once it is fixed.

RBL

07 Versys, orange.
rear hugger
madstad bracket
vario windscreen
handguards (dr650?)
hb crashbars
flatfoot
lowering pegs
ctech fuse panel
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Sorry to hear it was nothing simple. I hope it's not too bad on the checkbook.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 PM

My bet is on a faulty Regulator/Rectifier. If that is the case, make sure they check the stator too, as running with a faulty R/R can cause problems in other components.

Gustavo
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
rbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Sorry to hear it was nothing simple. I hope it's not too bad on the checkbook.
Glad it is still under warranty! First warranty claim I have ever made on any vehicle. It could have been much worse, I was planning a long ride up into the interior on Friday and Saturday - better for it to crap out at home.

RBL

07 Versys, orange.
rear hugger
madstad bracket
vario windscreen
handguards (dr650?)
hb crashbars
flatfoot
lowering pegs
ctech fuse panel
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
rbl

on the road again

Finally got my bike back today! The regulator/rectifier had failed (broken clip is all they would tell me) and also fried the headlamp relay (which is part of a relay block which is replaced as a unit). It would have been over $600 were it not still in warranty.

I had hoped to pick up my e21's and rack today but it didn't work out. Givi sent the dealer the bags and side racks, but said the tail rack was backordered indefinitely. Dealer wanted me to take the bags and rack until I explained it was useless without either the tail rack or a fitment kit. Then they wanted me to buy a fitment kit for $50 to use until the tail rack shows up. Kind of disappointed, but now there is a tail rack being shipped from the USA.

As an aside, my dealer has a novel way of stopping the fairing buzz! Simply assembly the pieces incorrectly. I had taken the time to install foam tape and padding throughout to prevent any buzz, but when the tech put the bike back together he didn't clip the instrument surround into the area above the headlight or into either side panel. I didn't notice it until I was halfway home and couldn't be bothered to go back. I must say, it looks like hell but it doesn't buzz. Gives me something to do this afternoon.

RBL

07 Versys, orange.
rear hugger
madstad bracket
vario windscreen
handguards (dr650?)
hb crashbars
flatfoot
lowering pegs
ctech fuse panel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode