Turn Signals as Running lights? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Turn Signals as Running lights?

I've searched for, but haven't found, information on running lights. I'd like my turn indicators to function as running lights to increase my visibility. Is it possible, and if so, how is it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Basically your front signals are currently a 2-wire system.

You need to convert it to a 3-wire system.

Where you get the power for the "always hot" line is up to you.

You will have to change out the bulb socket to a bulb socket made for dual-filaments. Again, the stock one is a single filament.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 AM

I myself have ordered these LED strips so i can use them as running lights.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Newes...ryId=200000226

Plan is to attach them to the Barkbuster Storm wind deflectors.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Basically your front signals are currently a 2-wire system.

You need to convert it to a 3-wire system.

Where you get the power for the "always hot" line is up to you.

You will have to change out the bulb socket to a bulb socket made for dual-filaments. Again, the stock one is a single filament.

I did this with the rear lights on a Suzuki C50......the fronts were already running lights. It is a PITA and I couldn't find any plug and play stuff. I had to manufacture everything. Did I mention it was a PITA?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I bought a pair of "Bullet lights" from somebody in England (around $20, near as I remember), and set them up to be ON w/ the key to ignition. Here's a couple of pics.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good tips. I don't have any experience with wiring. Plug n play is more my speed.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:29 PM

Garage
There are converters you can hook up inline with your turn signal to make it a running light. Here's one for $25 bucks.
Blinker Genie for Run and Turn with LED Signals on Motorcycles ? Custom LED

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Kisan may make something; I think its Signalminder has an option to convert to running lights. Custom Dynamics sells a lot of different lighting products; could have something. I'm certain Signal Dynamics has something -- they make lots of that kind of stuff.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

That Blinker Genie looks like the ticket. Thanks for the tip Zirc!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 03:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I bought a pair of "Bullet lights" from somebody in England (around $20, near as I remember), and set them up to be ON w/ the key to ignition. Here's a couple of pics.
Those look good fasteddie! Do they put any extra light on the road, or just strictly to help you be seen? I'd like something that adds a little more light at a wide angle -- to better see into curves and watch for deer on the roadside.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Garage
Well, this is a bit of a hijack of the original thread subject.

These are a pair of 10w LED lights from superbrightleds.com. They offer this one with with a choice of 10, 30, 60 or 102 degree beam angle. They were about $35 each. I got one 10 and one 30 degree.
Superbrightleds has wiring harnesses as well but they are made for cars so they have panel mount switches and about a mile of wire. Go to Harbor freight and get some wire, connectors and heat-shrink and it should be pretty easy to make your own sub-harness.

Twisted throttle has light bars to mount driving lights to different versions of the Versys as well as some generic mounts to mount to forks or other points. The light bar for my Versys 1000 was about $75, iirc.

The V1k is wired for accessory lights so no relay is required. You just need to build a sub-harness and find a decent handlebar switch. The switch I got from Amazon for $18 is a piece of junk so I won't recommend it. I just ordered a new one from Touratech but it's stupid expensive at about $45. Whatever, I guess you get what you pay for.

The lights seem to be nicely built. They are very solid and come with stainless steel hardware and waterproof plugs to build your harness with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0383.jpg (61.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.jpg (50.3 KB, 55 views)

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Garage
Kawasaki offers a driving light kit for the big Versys for a bit over $500. I put this setup together for around $200 including buying two switches. These two pictures (if I got the links right) show the low and high beam against my garage with no LEDs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.jpg (18.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.jpg (21.7 KB, 34 views)

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:56 PM

Garage
The lights definitely fill in around the regular headlights and the color is very white. They make the stock lights look very yellow. I'm still messing with the aim of the lights to see if I can run them without getting people flashing their brights at me. I don't know how much that really bugs me though since every other car is running driving lights and every third car is running with high beams in traffic here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.jpg (27.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0394.jpg (24.9 KB, 22 views)

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freubel View Post
I myself have ordered these LED strips so i can use them as running lights.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Newes...ryId=200000226

Plan is to attach them to the Barkbuster Storm wind deflectors.
And the result

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 07:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
And the result

Looks great, what size did you use? 6, 8, or 10 LED?

Can you post a picture in the daytime? Thats when we really need the extra visibility.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:38 AM

Garage
I installed the lights from superbright that Forrest shows in his post. I used the harness from superbright also. Installed the switch in the dash panel. They work great and I have them aimed out to the sides just slightly and they are paying dividends spotting deer in the am on the way to work. I just need to wire the trigger for the relay to a hot source only on at ignition vs hot from battery like now. As far as running lights, I bought 4 of the small amber pods from superbright and mounted a pair on the sides of the body work at the tail. I'm going to put the other 2 in a location that won't be covered up when I throw on bags. I wired those into the parking (city) light circuit in the tail (cable for the plate light). I need to take some pics of the running lights but they give a nice glow out to the side. Those strips mounted on the hand guard shells are an eye catcher for sure...nice job!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light-mod (6).jpg (51.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg light-mod (8).jpg (52.5 KB, 46 views)

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
Those look good fasteddie! Do they put any extra light on the road, or just strictly to help you be seen? I'd like something that adds a little more light at a wide angle -- to better see into curves and watch for deer on the roadside.
STRICTLY to be seen.

I HAVE a pair of Denali DM spots to go onto my Gen 3 when I get back to BC next April. I'll use wide on the right, spot on the left.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post

Can you post a picture in the daytime? Thats when we really need the extra visibility.
I used the smallest one's available (6 LED), will post a daylight picture in the morning
If i used anything bigger it would wrap around the handguard, didn't want that since you're looking into the leds when driving, would have been to distracting.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Newes...608.0.0.5bZiQZ
I have been riding around for 4 days with the lights and i really have the feeling it helps being more visible, we had some bad weather recently and filtering traffic has been easier, cars pull to the side way more then before i had the lights. Not sure if it's just wishfull thinking but it really seems to help day and night.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post

Took a while, sorry. But as promised a picture of the lights in daytime.
Kinda hard to capture with a camera though.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Close up Pictures

Quote:
Took a while, sorry. But as promised a picture of the lights in daytime.
Kinda hard to capture with a camera though.
Here's the electrical guy asking if you could post some close up pictures of the mounting and wiring. I can see where if possible it would make even more visibility if yellow were also available, you could then add those above and tie into your turn signal.

One observation I have made is, the distance between the Barkbuster , gives a much wider field of view for a car driver, the height is about equal to the top of a hood of a car, a quick glance by a car driver would definitely be more visible than without the light strips.

Looks like I am going to have a really busy winter, only problem is we keep getting warm spells, next week looks like another ride day, low of 5'C and high of 8'C with plenty of sunshine, on Tuesday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode