In 2003 I installed an AudioVox CCS100 vacuum cruise control on my Valkyrie
and never looked back.
Having used this set-up from 2003 to 2015, I feel that it was the most useful and appreciated farkle on my bike.
The cruise control spoiled me. While touring I often like to use the cruise control to lock in the permitted speed, and then enjoy the road, the scenery, etc. without worrying about speed limits, etc. Whether I’m going uphill or downhill does not change anything. The cruise control module will either speed up or down to maintain the selected speed.
Note: I’m sure that it has avoided me more than a few speeding tickets.
The AudioVox has already been installed on generations 1 and 2 of the Versys 650. However I did not find any information about the CCS100 for the 2015 Versys 650.
Close examination of my 2015 650 immediately showed me the lack of space to install the CCS100 module and an accompanying vacuum reservoir.
I therefore started watching eBay for Rostra 250-1223 Universal Cruise control units. I eventually purchased one.
Note: These are standalone electronic cruise control modules (without any vacuum reservoir).
Description (copied from Rostra vendors)
“The Rostra Cruise Control kit is designed to add a cruise control system to those vehicles which did not come with one from the factory. Set your speed with a touch of your finger--once selected, your Rostra cruise control constantly measures changes in the engine loading and vehicle speed to maintain a constant speed on the highway. Easily set the controls and avoid unintended speeding. Slow down or accelerate--you don't have to touch the throttle”.
Universal Installation Instructions
The Rostra 250-1223 manual can be read and/or downloaded here
What’s in the box?
- Cruise Module A
- Cruise Wiring Harness B
- Cruise Cable C
- Module Bracket D
- Cable Bracket E
- Hardware package (nuts, bolts, washers, etc.)
Mounting the 250-1223 Rostra Control Module
After receiving my 250-1223 Rostra Universal Cruise Control, I eagerly examined my 2015 Versys for possible places to install the module.
Lack of space prevented me from installing the unit under either the left fairing or under the seat. I therefore decided to attach it to the bracket behind the left Shad sidecase of my Versys (near the rear tail).
Waterproofing the wires, etc.
Since the module and wiring harness are exposed, I decided to protect them as much as possible with shrink tube.
The wiring connector on the module was then covered with Spider Patch Wrap It Tape (self-fusing sealing silicone tape).
Routing the wiring harness
A hole was drilled and a grommet inserted under the tail section of the bike. The wiring harness was then passed through the grommet to end up under the seat.
Routing the throttle control cable
The modified Rostra mounting bracket attached to the Shad sidecase bracket on my Versys permitted to point the Rostra throttle cable in towards the front of the bike.
From the left side of the bike, the cable crosses over the swingarm to the right side. On the right side, it then continues towards the front of the bike (i.e.: towards the bike’s throttle bellcrank).
The above is a throttle cable bracket that I had left over from my AudioVox cruise control parts.
Note: A Rostra 250-3700 Cable Bracket as shown below could have been used by cutting off part of the L portion and then bending the end at a 90-degree angle in order to receive the Rostra snap-in adaptor.
On the right side of the bike, just below the rear shock top bolt, there is a small hole where 2 frame tubes had been welded together by Kawasaki. I drilled the hole a bit larger to permit anchoring the cable bracket to the frame.
Throttle linkage (Throttle body bellcrank)
The Rostra cruise control requires 41 mm of travel to operate smoothly. The diameter of the Versys bellcrank is too small to permit full cruise control travel to wide open throttle. To get closer to the desired 41 mm, a piece of aluminum strap was attached to the bellcrank. This decreases the sensitivity of the system and therefore permits smoother accelerations, etc.
The bellcrank had previously been drilled and tapped. Small machine bolts were used along with blue Loctite and nyloc nuts.
Note: The strap is 2 ¾ inches (7 cm) long. Spacers are placed under the strap to standoff from the bellcrank a bit. 3 or 4 beads of chain were used. My objective was to leave no more than 1/16 inch of cable slack because too much slack causes slow engagement.
Note: The above bellcrank control arm idea was copied from bscott
Very little throttle slack is needed. Too much slack would result in more throttle engagement time. The cruise control unit will then try to compensate and you could then experience throttle surging.
FYI Images have been moved to the How To Forum to protect copyright
Part 1 of 3 (continued)