Rostra Electronic Cruise Control (250-1223) on 2015 Versys 650 ABS - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Arrow Rostra Electronic Cruise Control (250-1223) on 2015 Versys 650 ABS

Introduction :

In 2003 I installed an AudioVox CCS100 vacuum cruise control on my Valkyrie and never looked back.

Having used this set-up from 2003 to 2015, I feel that it was the most useful and appreciated farkle on my bike.

The cruise control spoiled me. While touring I often like to use the cruise control to lock in the permitted speed, and then enjoy the road, the scenery, etc. without worrying about speed limits, etc. Whether I’m going uphill or downhill does not change anything. The cruise control module will either speed up or down to maintain the selected speed.

Note: I’m sure that it has avoided me more than a few speeding tickets.

The AudioVox has already been installed on generations 1 and 2 of the Versys 650. However I did not find any information about the CCS100 for the 2015 Versys 650.

Close examination of my 2015 650 immediately showed me the lack of space to install the CCS100 module and an accompanying vacuum reservoir.

I therefore started watching eBay for Rostra 250-1223 Universal Cruise control units. I eventually purchased one.

Note: These are standalone electronic cruise control modules (without any vacuum reservoir).

Description (copied from Rostra vendors)

“The Rostra Cruise Control kit is designed to add a cruise control system to those vehicles which did not come with one from the factory. Set your speed with a touch of your finger--once selected, your Rostra cruise control constantly measures changes in the engine loading and vehicle speed to maintain a constant speed on the highway. Easily set the controls and avoid unintended speeding. Slow down or accelerate--you don't have to touch the throttle”.

Universal Installation Instructions

The Rostra 250-1223 manual can be read and/or downloaded here.

What’s in the box?

250-1223 Components
- Cruise Module A
- Cruise Wiring Harness B
- Cruise Cable C
- Module Bracket D
- Cable Bracket E
- Hardware package (nuts, bolts, washers, etc.)

Mounting the 250-1223 Rostra Control Module

After receiving my 250-1223 Rostra Universal Cruise Control, I eagerly examined my 2015 Versys for possible places to install the module.
Lack of space prevented me from installing the unit under either the left fairing or under the seat. I therefore decided to attach it to the bracket behind the left Shad sidecase of my Versys (near the rear tail).

Waterproofing the wires, etc.

Since the module and wiring harness are exposed, I decided to protect them as much as possible with shrink tube.

The wiring connector on the module was then covered with Spider Patch Wrap It Tape (self-fusing sealing silicone tape).

Routing the wiring harness

A hole was drilled and a grommet inserted under the tail section of the bike. The wiring harness was then passed through the grommet to end up under the seat.

Routing the throttle control cable

The modified Rostra mounting bracket attached to the Shad sidecase bracket on my Versys permitted to point the Rostra throttle cable in towards the front of the bike.
From the left side of the bike, the cable crosses over the swingarm to the right side. On the right side, it then continues towards the front of the bike (i.e.: towards the bike’s throttle bellcrank).

The above is a throttle cable bracket that I had left over from my AudioVox cruise control parts.

Note: A Rostra 250-3700 Cable Bracket as shown below could have been used by cutting off part of the L portion and then bending the end at a 90-degree angle in order to receive the Rostra snap-in adaptor.

On the right side of the bike, just below the rear shock top bolt, there is a small hole where 2 frame tubes had been welded together by Kawasaki. I drilled the hole a bit larger to permit anchoring the cable bracket to the frame.

Throttle linkage (Throttle body bellcrank)

The Rostra cruise control requires 41 mm of travel to operate smoothly. The diameter of the Versys bellcrank is too small to permit full cruise control travel to wide open throttle. To get closer to the desired 41 mm, a piece of aluminum strap was attached to the bellcrank. This decreases the sensitivity of the system and therefore permits smoother accelerations, etc.

The bellcrank had previously been drilled and tapped. Small machine bolts were used along with blue Loctite and nyloc nuts.

Note: The strap is 2 inches (7 cm) long. Spacers are placed under the strap to standoff from the bellcrank a bit. 3 or 4 beads of chain were used. My objective was to leave no more than 1/16 inch of cable slack because too much slack causes slow engagement.

Note: The above bellcrank control arm idea was copied from bscott.

Very little throttle slack is needed. Too much slack would result in more throttle engagement time. The cruise control unit will then try to compensate and you could then experience throttle surging.

FYI Images have been moved to the How To Forum to protect copyright
Part 1 of 3 (continued)

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-01-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Copyright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Nicely done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Rostra Electronic Cruise Control / Polaris Regulator Install

Holy cow superman, you should be able to install a Polaris regulator blindfolded and one hand tied behind your back!

So something to think about, I haven't looked at the circuit, but I have done this before, using multiple diodes and one relay, brake /clutch circuit.

I had considered it for my 07, then the vacuum style was discontinued and my understanding the whole aftermarket line, after some research it would appear they are still available, about $289 USD

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 09:59 AM

wow! I was thinking at your cruise control this summer when I went to the states!
Maybe I'll do something like that, I'll come see you

Versys 2015 Green
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
NICE work and "write-up"...!

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Holy cow superman, you should be able to install a Polaris regulator blindfolded and one hand tied behind your back!
Not quite LOL! For my Polaris regulator installation, I had an advantage. A wizard showed me the way!

Quote:
So something to think about, I haven't looked at the circuit, but I have done this before, using multiple diodes and one relay, brake /clutch circuit.
I'm sure that this would not be a problem for you.

Quote:
I had considered it for my 07, then the vacuum style was discontinued and my understanding the whole aftermarket line, after some research it would appear they are still available, about $289 USD
That's quite high .... especially with our Canuck dollars. They sometimes pop up at lower prices.

Thank you

I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
wow! I was thinking at your cruise control this summer when I went to the states!
Maybe I'll do something like that, I'll come see you
Anytime you wish sir. Just cross the bridge to south shore with your Versys. We could then exchange notes, lies, etc.

I just shuffle slower.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
Nicely done!
Thank you!

I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

-
Thank you

I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
First Time Multi-Quote in 2 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Not quite LOL! For my Polaris regulator installation, I had an advantage. A wizard showed me the way!

I'm sure that this would not be a problem for you.

That's quite high .... especially with our Canuck dollars. They sometimes pop up at lower prices.

Thank you
Yes I have a hard time justifying spending $400 Canadian for something I might use a few times a year, however it is the challengethat interests me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

-
I agree , what a awesome posting, hope you got my email, next is to solve Chrome.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
hmmm...
we normally get tickets because we failed to slow down in a lower limit zone.
cruise control "really" doesn't help there.

good project though, but I will stick with gocruise2

I know it's not a regulator, just a throttle lock, but I only need steady speed on flat straight surface which work fine,
otherwise it's removing the fun of motorcycling; if I wanted to do nothing, I would take a bus.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
hmmm...
we normally get tickets because we failed to slow down in a lower limit zone.
cruise control "really" doesn't help there.
Sorry I disagree. When you are riding for long lengths of time in 70 KPH zones, or on main highways at 100 KPH, it is VERY EASY to go overboard and get hit by LEOs. I have been touring for long enough to know that.

Quote:
good project though, but I will stick with gocruise2

I know it's not a regulator, just a throttle lock, but I only need steady speed on flat straight surface which work fine,
otherwise it's removing the fun of motorcycling; if I wanted to do nothing, I would take a bus.
MANY riders use electronic cruise controls. None of them want to do nothing. They simply enjoy the convenience. Different strokes for different folks.

I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 04:57 PM

Quexpress, excellent write up.

I've decided to follow in your footsteps. I have installed an Audiovox unit on my c-10 Concours so I'm aware of the project in front of me.

The Rostra arrived today. The control unit will not go where yours is as I have the LT bags. My thought is to install the unit in the fairing on top of the headlight housing.

I do have a question on that diode installed near the clutch relay. Is it required? Also, any particular rating or specification for that diode?

I plan on starting this undertaking tomorrow, yeehaw.

Thanks for the superb write up and any info on that diode.

Later, SteveJ

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Quexpress, excellent write up.

I've decided to follow in your footsteps. I have installed an Audiovox unit on my c-10 Concours so I'm aware of the project in front of me.
Having installed a CCS100, you will certainly find this to be a cleaner installation (less parts).

Quote:
The Rostra arrived today. The control unit will not go where yours is as I have the LT bags. My thought is to install the unit in the fairing on top of the headlight housing.

I plan on starting this undertaking tomorrow, yeehaw.
Cool!

Quote:
I do have a question on that diode installed near the clutch relay. Is it required? Also, any particular rating or specification for that diode?
I'm quite sure that it was not necessary. However, since I was not 100% sure, I installed one.
I used an Epoxy Rectifier Diode (3 Amp/400 PIV). I believe that I purchased mine years ago at Radio Shack. They are very inexpensive.

Quote:
Thanks for the superb write up and any info on that diode.
Later, SteveJ
You are most welcome! Just trying to give back to fellow Versys owners/forum members. Good luck!

I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Quexpress, after looking at things a bit I may do something a bit different on the throttle pull hook up.

I'm thinking put a screw in the tang that's at about 10-11 o clock on the bell crank. I think it closes the flies?? I plan on having the probably #8 screw stick out about 3/4" and attach the pull there. I will use the clutch cable holder bolts to hold the cruise cable bracket. There is plenty of travel for the cruise to pull. Should work.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quexpress, after looking at things a bit I may do something a bit different on the throttle pull hook up.

I'm thinking put a screw in the tang that's at about 10-11 o clock on the bell crank. I think it closes the flies?? I plan on having the probably #8 screw stick out about 3/4" and attach the pull there. I will use the clutch cable holder bolts to hold the cruise cable bracket. There is plenty of travel for the cruise to pull. Should work.
Since the Rostra throttle cable will be coming from the front of the bike, that should/could work.

Note: Make sure that the throttle cable properly anchored on the throttle bracket. I had to reattach mine because it was not done properly the first time.

Another note: The Rostra unit might/could fit under the left side fairing where the Evaporative Emission Control System canister is located for CA bikes, etc.

I just shuffle slower.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:21 AM

I'm liking that left fairing idea, though for some reason I wound up with a Cali bike. The unit "will fit" over the headlights, but ain't real purty. As an aside, the less weight on/in the fairing, the better. I picked up a GPS dash from SW Motech that mounts on top of the meter cover and it does have more heft to it than I anticipated. Aluminum bracketry for that would have been preferable.

I located a post from Alaska Jeff on how to re-plumb/remove the evap can, will be charging forward.

This bike is gonna wind up being on the lift for quite a while as I keep adding things to do while it's apart. I just added checking the valves to the list as it has almost 11,000 miles on it. Maybe I'll hang on to the KLR a bit longer...

Thanx for your continuing posts/help/contributions.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm liking that left fairing idea, though for some reason I wound up with a Cali bike. The unit "will fit" over the headlights, but ain't real purty.

I located a post from Alaska Jeff on how to re-plumb/remove the evap can, will be charging forward.
Quote:
The control unit will not go where yours is as I have the LT bags.
I have not examined an LT closely but am puzzled. Is there not available space in the same area as where my Rostra unit is located?

Quote:
Thanx for your continuing posts/help/contributions.

I just shuffle slower.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I have not examined an LT closely but am puzzled. Is there not available space in the same area as where my Rostra unit is located?
Sorry about the late reply, i've been busy in the top part of this thread utilizing your pics and such. The LT bags use the space where your Rostra is mounted. The bag is molded to take advantage of that space and utilize it for more interior room. The left fairing is plenty roomy and will work perfectly.

I have all of the mechanicals hooked up, kicked my butt. I put the bike back together yesterday for a 250 mile ride to meet about 25 similarly minded motorcyclists at The Yearling in Cross Creek, FL:

And got to listen to Willie Green, way cool:

I'll get the electicals "next time in".

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 11:42 AM

The electricals have happened. My throttle bell crank is a bit shorter by about .25" sl I needed a bit of extra play in the cruise throttle cable. The cruise was slow to engage with 7,8, & 9 switches in the off position. I turned #9 to on, all is good.

thanks again for all of the help and this marvelous tutorial.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode