Common Problem: Buzzing from the cowl and gauges - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Common Problem: Buzzing from the cowl and gauges

This is just a FAQ reference for this issue.

It appears to be one of the most common Versys problems.

In short, it seems to happen eventually with almost all Versys models. Kawasaki put out a fix in June of 2007 which involved placing some foam dampers on the affected parts. Newer bikes appear to come with this foam, but the problem still seems to crop up again over time.

The quick fix is to install new foam (or 'damping' material) on the affected parts. Some dealers will do this for you under warranty, but it's a pretty easy DIY project.

Previous discussions on this forum:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=487
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=553
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=430
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=290
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=112
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1625

Discussed on other sites (registration may be needed to see pictures):

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=2927.0
http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...5&topic=1500.0
http://www.subirimagenes.com/imagen-...l-1923009.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM

Does there seem to be a time frame when this buzzing and vibration starts. I've got 450m on mine and haven't heard a thing yet. Of course I could just be hard of hearing (my wife definitely thinks so ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Does there seem to be a time frame when this buzzing and vibration starts. I've got 450m on mine and haven't heard a thing yet. Of course I could just be hard of hearing (my wife definitely thinks so ).
For me, it took about 1,000 miles. Good luck!

post #4 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:47 AM

just today

Mine just started at precisely 880 miles this A.M. Cheers.......Lefty.
post #5 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 06:11 AM

Yep, right around 1000+ Kms. I notice it more when the bike revs around 4500rpm.

"A coward dies a thousand deaths...a soldier dies but once." (Tupac Shakur)
post #6 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:05 PM

I bought my bike last month (june) and it had the buzz from the start. After removing the side panels and reinstalling them it got better but is still there. My bikes date is Sept, 07.
post #7 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 PM

Mine did it from day 1
post #8 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 PM

I have a 08..Did it from day one
post #9 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 05:04 PM

I finally got a Buzz , no not that kind . Right at 750 miles buzzing just above the headlight. Following some of the suggestions listed on this forum I was able to silence it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 PM

Buzzing Noise

I changed my air filter the other day and took off the side panels on both sides of the gas tank. I also unsnapped the plastic that goes around the instrument panel and snaps onto the gas tank. While I had this undone I rode to the local bike shop to buy some oil for my air filter. After unhooking these pieces where they snap on the tank I had a buzzing noise. When I put my finger on it the buzzing stopped. You might one to check this out on your gas tank. You will have to take the side panels off though. Then when driving just put your finger on this plastic where in snaps onto the gas tank.
post #11 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:18 PM

problem located & fixed!

The buzzing on my V started at 1200 km. It was always around 3200 rpm. Today I fixed it. I narrowed it down to the black plastic cowling that surrounds the instrument cluster , it comes down and tucks into the plastic headlight bezel. I removed the fairing on either side of the tank and the windshield. This allowed me to pop loose the cowling in question and expose the tabs that buzz. I discovered the factory had already installed some foam(see photo). The foam was quite thin and had become compacted, allowing the space which created the buzz. I peeled off the factory foam and installed pieces I had cut to fit. The extra 2 mm thickness in the foam was the charm!
Some points to consider: I measured the allen key I used to remove the screws holding the fairing in place. My old tape measure showed 4 mm. The nuts on the back of the windshield require an 8 mm wrench to hold them in place while the same 4 mm allen key works for the screws in the front of the windshield. The black plastic cowling that buzzed is in held in place by plastic press-in "screws". they came out easily with help from a small flat-head screwdriver.
I hope this helps others. I really took my time with it and was done in 1 1/2 hours (including drinking coffee, staring fixedly, revving engine alot!) If anyone wants some foam, I could cut off a chunk and mail it to them. Its lightweight and you won't need much. I have about 7.5 meters left over!

post #12 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 AM

Mine did it from day 1 also. I thought I had it fixed following the above posts, but it came back. When I was working on it this weekend I noticed that it came with some foam installed on the top of the headlight and some small rubber pads on the outer cowling where they contact the inner cowling. All but one had fallen off. I replaced these and the buzzing went away. You need some really thin pieces so that you can get the inner cowling to slip into the retaining tabs on the outer cowling. This time I also put foam around the headlight.
post #13 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:18 PM

If you look at the V parts diagrams on the OEM parts sites you will see numerous "dampers". I noticed that they had fallen off of mine, so I guess that is why some get the buzz at different times. I had the biggest success adding foam to the tab above the headlight and foam pads to the upper inside edges of the side cowlings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowling Before.jpg (60.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Cowling After.jpg (58.2 KB, 31 views)
post #14 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I started buzzing right at 500 miles. This weekend I will be foaming all the areas suggested. Thanks for the detailed pics and post yall
post #15 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 03:29 AM

buzzing

Dealer going to fix, under instruction from Kawasaki ( They've told me now that the noise was only coming from the ER-6n's ). A one time fix, mechanics said they got pads or something, from Kawasaki, that are for the ER to stop this noise, and can adjust them for the Versys.

I just don't see why we should have to go to trouble & expense, as doing any drilling or modifications that can void the warranty.
post #16 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn View Post
I just don't see why we should have to go to trouble & expense, as doing any drilling or modifications that can void the warranty.
There's nothing irreparable done to fix this problem (no drilling or cutting). This shouldn't void anything. All you're doing is adding material between plastic pieces and perhaps where plastic meets metal.

We're just stuck with the situation until Kawi realizes there's a problem on Versys and produces a permanent fix.

At the moment, this is something that can easily happen if you take the cowlings off for any maintenance or just wait long enough. Things vibrate loose. It's a motorcycle - that will happen.

So - if your dealer does your maintenance, you'll find the problem on the ride home... Go back, fix, ride, repeat. While I like my dealer, I don't like wasting time explaining trivial things and then waiting around having to leave my bike (for a trivial fix!) And, a lot of dealers will just say "that's normal".

At least if you understand the problem, you can fix it yourself.
post #17 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Yet another buzzing source...

Many have reported the side cowlings can get noisy too. In those cases, they've had to re-apply foam that has gone missing where the side cowling touches the gauge shroud and tank. Also, the foam can get compressed so that it doesn't help.

And, I've noticed Kawi put foam in places where it doesn't even touch anything (the large patches on the left and right of the headlight).

In my case, I added some nylon washers between places where things bolt on.

Maybe earplugs will help. ;-)
post #18 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 AM

Speedo/Tach - Source of BUZZZZZZZZ

After riding around for 1200 miles with an invisible 400 pound mosquito I decided to investigate the annoying buzzzzz coming from the front of the V.
First I removed the side cowlings, the plastic panel surrounding the instrument cluster, (which is the same piece with the tab that slides in above the headlight, that is supposedly one of the culprits).
I started the bike and revved it to 4000-4200 rpms and the buzz hadn't changed....
It was coming from the speedo/tach housing. It appears to be a 2 piece (top/bottom) set-up and if I squeezed the housing top to bottom the noise dissapeared.
I didn't want to disassemble the housing nor did I want to strip the screws on the back of it trying to see if tightening would help to reduce the racket but it seems a proper fix would entail Kawasaki internally installing a rubber seal/gasket between the top and bottom of the instrument cluster to permanently take care of the problem.

For now, I ended up putting 1/4 inch closed cell foam w/adhesive backing around the speedo/tach housing where it meets the plastic surround, as well as putting a small piece on the front tab above the headlight and although there is still a slight buzz around 4k it seems to be much better.

With any luck Kawi will address this soon and we can enjoy a buzzless ride.

Cheers,
John
post #19 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 PM

Just a thought, does anyone know how to get in touch or e-mail kawi to drop them a line about some of the problems that come up with the v. Some thing besides the dealer who at times cares and at time does not. I have the same problems that most everyone else is having. The first which for me started at around 700 miles is the buzzing noise. Which for me is not that bad yet. It seems to be worse when it is cool out. Not as much when the plastic is hot. May have something to do with exspansion of the parts when they warm up in the sun. The other is the left hand mirror which keeps loosening up and turning in on me when I get up to 70 or 75 mph. Which is about the worst time for this to happen. I have tightenend this down and it held for about a week and then the other day it happened again.
And we all know about the seat. Just thought if everyone could talk with or e-mail kawi about these problems that pop up that maybe they could expedite a fix or possibly directions on a quick fix.
post #20 of 179 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYES View Post
Just thought if everyone could talk with or e-mail kawi about these problems that pop up that maybe they could expedite a fix or possibly directions on a quick fix.
I'm hopeful they'll pay attention... Unfortunately, there are multiple sources of noise (headlight, gauge cluster, left/right side cowlings). It won't be just one fix. The headlight seems to be the worst source, but the others can become annoying too.

As for the seat - I think Kawasaki must botch them on purpose so there's a market for aftermarket parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode