Broken gas nozzle overflowed tank. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Broken gas nozzle overflowed tank.

After owning and riding bikes for over 35 years, this finally happens.

On the third tank of gas ever pumped into the tank, the nozzle stuck on when filling the tank. As the fuel got to the top of the tank and I realized the thing wouldn't shut off, I whipped the still-flowing nozzle away from the bike and shut off the pump. I stopped it before it actually flowed over the top of the tank but I still sprayed gas across the bike and fairing and gas did go into the overflow and presumably into the carbon canister. And believe me, the poor employees at the station got an ear-full from me about the broken nozzle.

I have ridden several hundred miles since this and had no problems with fuel delivery or any running issues. However, I notice now when the bike is parked in the sun, black colored gas drips from a hose under the bike and the gas cap hisses. It occurred to me today that the black gas is most likely due to the overflow.

I hadn't really planned on yanking the carbon can on this bike but will if it might damage the engine to leave it as is. I certainly won't put out the cash to replace the carbon can if it could be an issue.

So, finally the question:
Is there potential for polluted gas to flow back into the tank and be run through the engine?
Are there any other potential issues from gas in the canister or shall I just keep running it as long as no symptoms emerge?

The urge to buy terrorizes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't believe you have anything to worry about...........the overflow is there for just that purpose. Did you wash the bike with soap and water after giving it the gasoline bath? That's about all you need to worry about.

Not being a California bike I don't think the Versys has a carbon canister......if I'm wrong some one will surely correct me.

Gas will not flow back into the tank except from the FI overpressure and it should be as clean as the gas in the tank.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My understanding was that all 50 states' bikes had carbon cans now. I could be wrong, it happened once before.
I've had several bikes through my garage over the last few years, none of the CA bikes, that have all had carbon cans on them (at least when they came into the garage).
Now you have me curious though so I will confirm that one way or another as soon as I have a chance on the V1k.

I didn't wash the bike at the time since I was probably 100 miles from home at the time and on my way out. It was a hot day and by the time I could have washed it the gas should have long since evaporated. By the time I got back to the bike with paper towels (none at the pumps) there was nothing to wipe off the bike and the gas on the ground had mostly evaporated as well.

I guess I can only hope no permanent damage was done to anything. It does need a good wash and wax for the winter now anyway.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:51 PM

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:08 PM

Wondering what the hissing out of the gas cap is from? Have a brand new 2016 650 with 300 miles on it and the gas cap hisses when the bike is warm or sitting in the sun. Is there no relief valve?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaride View Post
Wondering what the hissing out of the gas cap is from? Have a brand new 2016 650 with 300 miles on it and the gas cap hisses when the bike is warm or sitting in the sun. Is there no relief valve?

I solved it on mine........

P1010532 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010533 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:08 PM

Aftermarket gas cap! That thing looks good! Will it got the mk3 and where did you get it?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Aftermarket gas cap! That thing looks good! Will it got the mk3 and where did you get it?

Got it off Ebay will fit all years of the Versys 650's & 1000's.... 1/4 Turn CNC Keyless Racing Quick Open Gas Fuel Cap for Kawasaki ZZR1400 | eBay .Only took about a week to get from china. Have had a keyless gas cap on all 3 of my last bikes all from china and no issues. The tube that is attached to the vent nipple needs to be removed or cut short. BTW it come with an extra rubber washer so its not needed for installation

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Venting under Left Side Fairing

Quote:

Nothing should be coming from your gas cap unless it isn't mounted properly. Left side faring, go to page 3-6 service manual, shows the venting on the 2015-16.Possible pinched vent line, look at the picture , 3-6 service manual
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=running
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:16 PM

Awesome thanks all gotta check on that.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
THE HISSING IS NORMAL!!!!
You are worrying about nothing.

This is a built in pressure relief venting the hot air from the tank, as hot air expands it has to go somewhere - you don't want to be blowing any seals of the tank... especially the pump seals which are at the bottom!!!

In California the charcoal canister is there as by law any fuel venting has to be filtered.

If you have spilt fuel all over your bike... just pour water over it
make sure that you close the fuel cap. and pour water over the cap area... there is a gap that let water down under the cap ring (but not inside the tank) and wash that overflow area and you will see water draining out of one of the black pipes under the engine. This is normal. if no water is draining... you have either pinched your drain pipe when lowering the tank in place or it is blocked with junk. lift tank and slowly blow some compressed air to clear the hose. or just replace hose.
onewizard and Urbanengineer like this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
That is the fuel tank relief valve you're hearing. Pressure is released as gasoline fumes are produced.

Last edited by invader; 11-01-2016 at 04:27 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:34 AM

If the relief valve is in the fuel cap then how is it passing through the charcoal canister? (I'm in CA) getting some conflicting info here.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
If the relief valve is in the fuel cap then how is it passing through the charcoal canister? (I'm in CA) getting some conflicting info here.
Gasoline fumes are still released from the fuel tank through a relief valve beside the fuel cap, where it's then channeled to your charcoal canister... You hear it whistling when air pressure in fuel tank overcomes relief valve resistance, so it's not exhausting freely and constantly.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by invader; 11-01-2016 at 04:28 AM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
This subject has got to be one of the
A) Most ask about
B) Most confusing to understand by newbies
C) Most misunderstood by seasoned riders with Zero mechanical aptitude
D) And for the last frigging time! hissing or whistling sounds at the tank, especially when hot out are NORMAL!!

Thanks Invader and Gigitt for bringing some common sense sane explanations about people thinking their tank is about to explode or a mystery whistle somewhere. Yes this is an exaggeration but I get newbie question fatigue sometime. Don't get me wrong, questions are great, that's how you learn, but after years on bike forums and hearing the same crap over and over, wears on the brain. Okay, rant over, I feel better.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I don't believe you have anything to worry about...........the overflow is there for just that purpose. Did you wash the bike with soap and water after giving it the gasoline bath? That's about all you need to worry about.

Not being a California bike I don't think the Versys has a carbon canister......if I'm wrong some one will surely correct me.

Gas will not flow back into the tank except from the FI overpressure and it should be as clean as the gas in the tank.
On the carbon or charcoal canister thing, I Googled around a bit and checked my shop manual.
The EPA has required motorcycles to have an evaporative emissions control system with the charcoal canister on all US market motorcycles since 2006.
My Kawasaki shop manual shows the evap system including a charcoal can for my 2015 V1k. Note that the manual specifies non-CA models. It is nicely stashed away inside the fairing but it is there.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouVersys View Post
This subject has got to be one of the
A) Most ask about
B) Most confusing to understand by newbies
C) Most misunderstood by seasoned riders with Zero mechanical aptitude
D) And for the last frigging time! hissing or whistling sounds at the tank, especially when hot out are NORMAL!!

Thanks Invader and Gigitt for bringing some common sense sane explanations about people thinking their tank is about to explode or a mystery whistle somewhere. Yes this is an exaggeration but I get newbie question fatigue sometime. Don't get me wrong, questions are great, that's how you learn, but after years on bike forums and hearing the same crap over and over, wears on the brain. Okay, rant over, I feel better.
Perhaps a mod can add this subject to the stickies to help alleviate your frustration.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info Forrest....................learn something new every day. My last bike was an 05'.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I think the manufacturers are getting better at hiding them. On my past few bikes they have hung off the side or been mounted somewhere that just invites them to be removed.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 06:33 PM

I just looked the bike up on RonAyers site and the evap system on the 2015 KLE650 is only on California bikes according to them. I'll have to go browse thru the electronic repair manual to see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode