HB side case carrier doesn't fit right! 2016 V650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HB side case carrier doesn't fit right! 2016 V650

I bought the Hepco Becker 42l side boxes and the bike specific"side case carrier" for them on my 2016 V650.

While installing the mounting bracket to the right side foot peg it wouldn't fit. The bracket was marginally too small. On comparing the right side to the left side it was clearly visible that the holes were not matching and the right side was a few mm smaller than the left which fit perfectly.
I took it to a friend's machine shop and milled the hole a bit bigger to match the one on the left side.
Once that was done the mounting bracket went on like it should and I thought all was good.
After that I was busy with work for a couple of months so all my rides were limited to a day or two and didn't need the panniers.
All that was left to do was to bolt the side racks to the centre "c-bow" and mount it on the bike using those"lock-it" bolts.
Assembled them together at home and took them down to put on the bike.
Left one went in perfectly but the right side was again a few mm off.
Tried forcing it in and got a few scratches on my grab rail where the rack sits into.
The nut part of the lock-it in the side rack got worn and the bolt was turning all the way round as opposed to just 90 degrees.

I somehow managed to make it stay and did a 300 km ride out with no issues. 50kms into the return of that ride the lock it bolt came loose and the right side rack was dangling.
So stopped at the side of the road I took of the boxes and unbolted the right side rack from the c-bow and mounted it independently into the grab handle on top and forced the lock it bolt in again. It sat a bit better than before since it was freer to move without the c-bow holding it in place. Then tried bolting the c-bow to the right side rack but only one of the two holes were matching so rode back home with only 1 bolt instead of two.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the right side rack or its because the position of the right side foot peg bracket has slightly changed after milling it out.

All in all its been a nightmare and not something you expect after paying top dollar for what is supposed to be a quality German product!

I know of one other rider who has faced the same issue with the same rack and bike.
So I know it's not a one off and it's not my lack of skills. I did doubt both those things.

Is any one else using this setup? What are your experiences?

And please DONT buy a H&B side anything for your 15-16 V650. It doesn't fit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Contact Supplier

I don't know where you purchased it from, if it was Twisted Throttle, they would stand good almost a year later, if explained like you did. I would contact the supplier and explain what you just posted, if nothing is done please post that also, explain you are on a forum of over 54,000 members, bad publicity is far worse for sales than any possible advertising can correct.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have done that at an earlier stage with limited results and now when I get the time just want to work on it a bit to make it fully functional

Very interested in knowing other people's experiences. Is it just a two off?
I'm sure somebody on this group has bought it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode