Mirrors bolts tore threading - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mirrors bolts tore threading

Any had an issue with the bolts that hold the mirror and clutch assembly together, ripping out their threading?

The threads in part 13280 completely ripped out when I was unscrewing it.

2015 Kawasaki VERSYS 1000 (KLZ1000BFF) Handlebar | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

I cleaned it out, lined it up to put it back and it just totally ruined the rest. The bottom bolt started to do the same thing but I was able to correct it.

Now I have to wait till the 10th-15th for replacement parts.

I was just sitting there thinking Id go put new handlebar grips on, which requires me taking the stock handguards off and run into this. About just kicked the bike over and said forget it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
tough time of year to miss a single weekend on the bike, yeah, those blind tapped aluminum mounts can be a problem.

rather than park the bike until the new clutch holder arrives, swap the problem OEM socket head fastener for a M6x25 hex head, then set that fastener with JB weld...the mount is ruined anyway. you'll be able to twist that hex head off when the time comes, ride the bike while you wait for the part.

alternately, i can Priority Mail you the same parts from the 650 for the cost of postage, when you're done using them, mail them back...threads intact please.
Appreciate the offer. I actually was able to make it quite secure. Theres a few threads left in the top, and the bottom was actually more secure than it looked. Combine that with the handguard mount keeping it locked down and its on their pretty good. I was not able to move it (without putting 230lbs of weight on it haha).

I will wait for the part and ride it like this for now, if I notice it coming loose I will have to stop of course. I cant seem to find someone local who sells heli coil kits.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
tough time of year to miss a single weekend on the bike, yeah, those blind tapped aluminum mounts can be a problem.

rather than park the bike until the new clutch holder arrives, swap the problem OEM socket head fastener for a M6x25 hex head, then set that fastener with JB weld...the mount is ruined anyway. you'll be able to twist that hex head off when the time comes, ride the bike while you wait for the part.

alternately, i can Priority Mail you the same parts from the 650 for the cost of postage, when you're done using them, mail them back...threads intact please.
Could I use red locktite?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
You COULD, but I WOULDN'T.... Of course, JB WELD will be even tougher than red....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
I cant seem to find someone local who sells heli coil kits.
I have never seen a hardware store that does not carry these kits. I bought my current one at Home depot, but have bought at Harbour freight as well in the past.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Another Option

Quote:
Just a thought, helicoil requires a certain amount of surrounding material to work. This is a blind hole, generally the depth of the threads is equal to or greater than the length of the threads on the cap screw. So here is a suggestion, get a M6X30mm:
M6/M8 304 Stainless Steel Hex Socket Set Screws with Cup Point Grub Screw DIN916

Buy two M6 nuts, you can also buy two acorn nuts, the set screw gets loctited into the part you have on order, they become studs, running them in until they bottom out, the nuts can also be blue loctite, and the acorn nuts cover the exposed thread , or you can cut the thread flush with the tightened nut. I have done this many times when there was insufficient material to drill out for the heli-coil, if you are really courageous, get a bottoming tap and carefully thread to the bottom of the blind hole, I don't suggest this unless you are skilled and have the tap, plus there is a good chance the thread already exists to withing 1 1/2 threads of the bottom of the hole.Trying to add 1 1/2 threads can very easily strip all the threads, been there done that, especially on aluminum.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-02-2016 at 10:17 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Ive got it on there pretty good now with the handguards adding a tighter and more secure fit. So I will just have to wait for the new part.

You will hear from me when the part comes in as I have no idea how to take all that crap apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode