Lithium Ion Batteries - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Lithium Ion Batteries

These things keep getting cheaper. Has anyone tried one on their Versys? The appeal of 66% less weight, especially weight up high is appealing. Advantages/disadvantages? My main area of concern is do I need to buy a new battery charger or will my old lead/acid trickle charger work OK?

Lithium Ion Batteries
kiwi69withBoys likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
These things keep getting cheaper. Has anyone tried one on their Versys? The appeal of 66% less weight, especially weight up high is appealing. Advantages/disadvantages? My main area of concern is do I need to buy a new battery charger or will my old lead/acid trickle charger work OK?

Lithium Ion Batteries

I came close to getting one for my 09 when they came out. It was a Shorai but it said you needed one of their chargers at that time. So i went with a GEL Battery instead..... Info....Frequently Asked Questions - Shorai Lithium Batteries

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
And as an added feature, they don't explode too very frequently. Come to think of it, that might be a clever bit of advertising. Rather like Tesla's early advertising, "$100,000 and they don't catch fire too often."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Lithium Ion Batteries
I've had one in my '08 V for the past one an a half years. I bought an inexpensive Li charger at the same time, on Amazon Prime. They both work great. Much smaller and lighter than a stock battery. [I'm on a "add lightness" kick]. My V is normally kept in the garage. Unless I'm on a trip, of course. I've heard that some of the earlier version Li batteries could have difficulty starting when it's below 45 F. Mine works fine at 45 F, though. It's a second or third gen design.
twowheels likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM

I put one in my old Beemer...my only complaint would be that because it was soo much smaller than the original battery it was kind of hard to fit...I needed a bunch of foam pieces...otherwise it's been great...you don't have to hook it up to a charger..as it will hold a charge for a year...I have a charger that I use (anyway)..and I've left it off a couple of times for weeks with no change in the battery charge...when the battery gets old in the Versys (damn thing is 3 years old now and going strong) it will get a Lithium battery too...
I've heard about the hard to start if the battery is cold...namely it may not start on the first push of the button if it's been really cold...mine worked fine after a night of 30 degree temperatures...they say you "may need" to "warm" the battery up first..by turning on your lights or something similar...it's only supposed to be a momentary thing if it happens at all...
trialsguy and twowheels like this.

Last edited by chadams66; 09-20-2016 at 02:30 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I've had one in my '08 V for the past one an a half years. I bought an inexpensive Li charger at the same time, on Amazon Prime. They both work great. Much smaller and lighter than a stock battery. [I'm on a "add lightness" kick]. My V is normally kept in the garage. Unless I'm on a trip, of course. I've heard that some of the earlier version Li batteries could have difficulty starting when it's below 45 F. Mine works fine at 45 F, though. It's a second or third gen design.
That seems to be an issue for other small battery tech too. I had an '00 Duc ST4. It never had a problem starting. Got an '03 ST4s with a new lightweight gel battery and that thing wouldn't start for crap in cooler temps. Had to replace my FJR battery. Tech suggested going with a lighter, cheaper gel. Once it got cold, same story.
As cold weather is part of living in Ohio, I'll be sticking with big, heavy, lead acid cells...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
...my only complaint would be that because it was soo much smaller than the original battery it was kind of hard to fit...I needed a bunch of foam pieces...otherwise it's been great...
Mine came with lots of extra foam pieces, that were easily trimable. It didn't take long to fit the pieces in. I also used double stick tape to attach part of a softer foam piece to the top of the battery. When I put the seat on the bike, that piece of foam is trapped between the bottom of the seat pan and the top of the battery, and keeps the battery from jiggling when riding on bumpy roads.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
That seems to be an issue for other small battery tech too. I had an '00 Duc ST4. It never had a problem starting. Got an '03 ST4s with a new lightweight gel battery and that thing wouldn't start for crap in cooler temps. Had to replace my FJR battery. Tech suggested going with a lighter, cheaper gel. Once it got cold, same story.
As cold weather is part of living in Ohio, I'll be sticking with big, heavy, lead acid cells...
A gel battery is a much older and different technology than lithium. No comparison.

Also - the newer lithium batteries are built and spec'd much differently than when they first hit the market a few years ago. More performance, higher energy ratings.

Last edited by trialsguy; 09-23-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: grammar
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
A gel battery is a much older and different technology than lithium. No comparison.

Also - the newer lithium batteries are built and spec'd much differently that when they first hit the market a few years ago. More performance, higher energy ratings.
I understand, but still seems like they suffer the same issue.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 06:33 PM

I just installed a Battery Tender Lithium battery and love the weight loss..

Seems to start up fine...click-vroom..

And my butt dyno tells me a positive feel in handling and acceleration..

Only $ 150 bucks..sweet..love the technology...amazing how small and light they are...cheers.

trialsguy and chadams66 like this.

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Suggest checking reviews/ Spec deceiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
I just installed a Battery Tender Lithium battery and love the weight loss..

Seems to start up fine...click-vroom..

And my butt dyno tells me a positive feel in handling and acceleration..

Only $ 150 bucks..sweet..love the technology...amazing how small and light they are...cheers.

I would suggest reading about the warranty on Amazon and negative reviews https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...l&pageNumber=1

From what I see , on the side it states 51.2 Watt Hours, it claims to be equal to 10 to 14 AH lead acid batteries. Doing the math, 51.2 divided by 12 volt = 4.26 Amp Hour big misinformation, it is physically the size of a 5 amp hour battery, they advertise 3 times the life of a lead acid battery, better hope it doesn't fail, if you read warranty claims by others, in 1 year you pay 50% of MSRP. Reports of failing from over voltage Versys have a over voltage problem, naw that shunt regulator works fine, some time around 14.5 to 15 volts it starts to shunt-- what you say, 15 volts is too high for my light weight battery that burnt up, WTF it was only $150 . If it is a weight issue, best to lose a few pounds and buy a AGM battery, my 07 Versys OEM battery lasted 6 years. I doubt the lithium battery would last 18 years, from the many negative reports on the Amazon review, getting two years out of the battery would be doing good.

I am just stating the facts displayed on the battery.

Quick battery 101 here, nothing to do with Samsung Galaxy Note 7 lithium battery issues as it is of different construction.

This is in reference to power tools and the progression from Ni-Cad to Lithium Ion, lots of advances and present day Lithium are pretty reliable , what was missed was in between , there was and still is a battery called Nickel–metal hydride NI MH https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel...ydride_battery equal to the lithium but not affected by the cold, slightly heavier and slightly larger than the lithium.
In reality, in cold conditions, the lithium battery will short out to produce heat, it also is very unforgiving in thermal runaway, that is it is like a nuclear reactor that lost the cooling, once started down that path, self destruction is imminent . I own several power tools all using lithium batteries, awesome , would I put it in my Versys, no, even though I have a series regulator that maintains a maximum 14.2 VDC, even if someone gave me one for free .

In the end I buy and install what I want when I want it, however I research any major purchases and try and get feedback from forums like this. In the end it is your bike and your money. Enjoy your Versys
invader and fasteddiecopeman like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-20-2016 at 10:04 PM.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 PM

One of many such catastrophic failures... Is it worth the breakdown and fire risk? It would in fact be advisable to remove it from your pristine white Versys 650 asap.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...vert-amazon-20
onewizard and BreckRider like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:34 AM

My plan to defeat ISIS: Airdrop thousands of Samsung Galaxy Note 7s to them. #KaBoom
invader and onewizard like this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:50 AM

Garage
I have them in pretty much all my bikes but the V. I replace the started units with them when I kill them (which lately has been about 1 a year cause I forget to put the race bikes on the tender lol)

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:06 PM

I clicked on the Amazon review link shown above. There were 430 positive reviews and 123 critical reviews for this battery. That's a 78% approval rating.

My experience with this battery has been great, for almost 2 years so far.

Perhaps the owners of the failed batteries used the wrong charger on their battery, or they did not mount it correctly in their motorcycle and allowed to bounce around in the battery box.
chadams66 likes this.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Warranty / Rating

Quote:
I clicked on the Amazon review link shown above. There were 430 positive reviews and 123 critical reviews for this battery. That's a 78% approval rating.

My experience with this battery has been great, for almost 2 years so far.

Perhaps the owners of the failed batteries used the wrong charger on their battery, or they did not mount it correctly in their motorcycle and allowed to bounce around in the battery box.
The warranty is really a sham .

No comparison between a AGM and Lithium , you are right, however the rating data on the side speaks volumes , comparing 10 to 14 AH then change the spec to read Watt Hours what afraid to print 4.26AH I said they are prone to thermal run away, no joke, this is for real. The Versys regulator is known to start shunting anywhere between 14.5 to 15 VDC, so talking percentages 15VDC is 25% over voltage on a 12 VDC battery.

Just copied from a safety warning in the Shorai link from Weljo post;

A. Starter batteries of any type contain a large amount of energy. During a short circuit, ALL that energy is released in a matter of seconds, creating an extremely hot arc welder, possibly causing fire or explosion. You MUST be very careful at all times to avoid short circuit of the positive and negative terminals. Do NOT wear jewelry on wrist or neck while handling batteries. INSURE that when installed the positive and negative terminals are properly covered and insulated from the vehicle. Do NOT use carbon fiber battery hold down units, as carbon is an electrical conductor. When replacing a battery, its important to verify that your charging system is working properly and the output voltage is within the recommended range of 13.6-14.4v. At no time should the charging system output be above 15.2v or it can damage the battery. Not a whole lot of difference between 15 and 15.2VDC, then again if you have gone to the trouble of buying a battery at twice the cost of a AGM battery I would guess you went to the trouble of installing a Polaris regulator that has a max. output of 14.2 VDC now you are back in the ballpark.

Like I said before, your bike your money.
invader and fasteddiecopeman like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-22-2016 at 07:37 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
The warranty is really a sham .

No comparison between a AGM and Lithium , you are right, however the rating data on the side speaks volumes , comparing 10 to 14 AH then change the spec to read Watt Hours what afraid to print 4.26AH I said they are prone to thermal run away, no joke, this is for real. The Versys regulator is known to start shunting anywhere between 14.5 to 15 VDC, so talking percentages 15VDC is 25% over voltage on a 12 VDC battery.
In a typical 12v system, the charging system needs to produce more voltage than what the battery currently has. It is also unusual to see a charging system exceed 14.5v. I can't recall ever seeing anything above 14.4v on my Versys's volt meter. It typically drops to ~12.6v at idle.

As I understand most reputable lithium ion batteries sold currently have on board electronics to prevent damage from over charging or two high a voltage. I would not buy one that did not have this feature. That is they are designed to work in a real world environment where the voltage fluctuates.

Watt/hour and Amp/hour are the exact same figure given in different units. Since voltage is constant at around 13v in a static 12v system all we need to do is divide 13 to obtain the amps, since amps is voltage * current.

Amp/hour = [Watt/hour]/13

Rechargeable NI/MH AA batteries are a dime a dozen on eBay. I'm kinda tempted to try making my own.

If you were to built eight 1.5v modules and then wired these in series you would have 12 volts, 9 modules would be 13.5v. Where each module is say 3, 1.5v, AA cells wired in parallel.

Note: wiring any number of cells POS to POS and NEG to NEG is called connecting in parallel - it does not increase the voltage but can increase the available current. Wiring batteries tip to tail increases voltage by the amount of each battery and is called wiring in series.
AdventureSeeker likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-22-2016 at 08:25 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:16 PM

Charging voltage is much more stable with my Compufire series type R/R (same for Polaris series type R/R)... It varied by over 4 times as much and was also higher than ideal with stock shunt R/R at 14.65V~14.90V (14.9V at idle). It's now always between 14.38V and 14.44V (14.44V at idle).
onewizard likes this.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
My plan to defeat ISIS: Airdrop thousands of Samsung Galaxy Note 7s to them. #KaBoom
you stole that from Trump....

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
One of many such catastrophic failures... Is it worth the breakdown and fire risk? It would in fact be advisable to remove it from your pristine white Versys 650 asap.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...vert-amazon-20
one of the red caps for the positive terminals seem to be misplaced...oh oh..I see a shorting problem right there...

trialsguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode