Gear Whine - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gear Whine

I understand there always to be a little noise when straddling an engine and transmission, but mine gets pretty loud under light load around 52-57 mph, it increases and gets higher pitched as speed increases, eventually the surrounding noise, road, air flow, etc.. drowns it out. Shifts fine, zero issues. I researched this topic and it seems just about all of them have it, but some its barely noticeable and others sound like mine, which is a jet engine taking off. Running mobil synthetic oil, about 5750 miles now, oil just changed about 200 miles ago. Pretty much been this way since day one. Any ideas or cause for concern or is it just the way this tranny works? Oh, Stock factory sprockets, chain in good shape and properly lubed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Bueller? Bueller?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Farris reporting in as requested. The noobie here, so just a SWAG. Maybe chain/sprocket noise even though completely lubed? I think with spinning gears, sprockets, chains there are noises that come out particularly noticeable at certain speeds or rpm's. I wear ear plugs all the time, so I don't hear most of them. Thought this needed a bump so some of the long time members get to chime in. Good Luck.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It just aint broken in yet.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Farris reporting in as requested. The noobie here, so just a SWAG. Maybe chain/sprocket noise even though completely lubed? I think with spinning gears, sprockets, chains there are noises that come out particularly noticeable at certain speeds or rpm's. I wear ear plugs all the time, so I don't hear most of them. Thought this needed a bump so some of the long time members get to chime in. Good Luck.
Yea I still Like that Movie!

I know Eddie and others besides yourself wear earplugs, I have never gone that route for fear of getting too separated from the noises around me. But, I have been contemplating it lately. Maybe it is time to step up!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It just aint broken in yet.
So it will improve as it gets more miles on it then? Just a noisy tranny compared to other bikes I've spent/spend time on. BUT, it seems to work and shift flawlessly so I was kind of hoping someone would give some reassurance like you did!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:54 PM

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40?

Make sure your rear sprocket is aligned with the front, with a straight edge or Motion Pro alignment tool on rear sprocket. Was your chain slack checked with rear suspension fully extended?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Yea I got the chain adjusted properly and have the Motion Pro tool. I bought it after reading on here how far the off the ticks can be and was shocked when I finally got it dialed in.

I run 30wt Mobil 1 (auto) I have been thinking of going up in WT as that may help dampen it a bit more.. So thats a Possibility.

Scratch that I think Im using 15-50.. I had it for my Buell.
Geesh I cant remember, and I just changed it last weekend.. Damn Im getting old.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by ronheater70; 09-16-2016 at 08:01 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
EARPLUGS - I have TWO hearing aids, mostly from military noise exposure, worth about $6,000 CDN, so I try to protect what hearing remains, by using earplugs ALL the time I'm riding. W/ them IN, I still am able to hear surrounding traffic sounds, so I recommend you go that route.

BTW - I will NOT listen to music while I ride....
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:13 PM

I have a noticeable whine in third gear, all the others are quiet. I was indoctrinated young about hearing protection in USN - helicopters and jets.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:49 PM

I was outta line on that. I typed it, decided not to post it, big fingers and touch pad..... Deleted it too late after I saw it posted. We will all be a happier lot if I keep my comments to myself and use this board for the good resource it is. Seeya in AZ.
onewizard likes this.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
"Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks...Canadian pesos...a running joke with Senor Eduardo Fast who comes down to Arizona from BC to spend the winter a stones throw from the Mexican border. in turn, he claims i'm fat, i claim i'm just robust. after a case of Blue, we're both rude...but at least still young and full of humor. BS too.

enjoy those other forums, eh.

LINK HERE: V649HP BIKE BUILD "

DESPITE this obnoxious post by "jdrocks" - I do NOT THINK he's fat... - I KNOW he's XXXL sized......., and REAL Canucks do NOT drink Blue (but we [I] can be rude...!)....

BUT, HE does build good stuff (EVEN if he then crashes it...)!

onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
I was outta line on that. I typed it, decided not to post it, big fingers and touch pad..... Deleted it too late after I saw it posted. We will all be a happier lot if I keep my comments to myself and use this board for the good resource it is. Seeya in AZ.
There used to be some pretty petty arguments around here at times as typical when a bunch of enthusiast get together in one setting. Eddy and JD are to great informative contributors here that kick each other occasionally as friends should. Glad you decided to stick around and thanks for contributing.

Subject at hand. I can find no logical reason for the gear box whining. I will just chalk it up to it being the character of the bike. Fresh 50 wt synthetic. Chain and sprockets properly aligned and adjusted. No worries!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

[
Yea, it shifts pretty decent.. I think Im good and possibly it will get a bit better with miles!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I understand there always to be a little noise when straddling an engine and transmission, but mine gets pretty loud under light load around 52-57 mph, it increases and gets higher pitched as speed increases, eventually the surrounding noise, road, air flow, etc.. drowns it out. Shifts fine, zero issues. I researched this topic and it seems just about all of them have it, but some its barely noticeable and others sound like mine, which is a jet engine taking off. Running mobil synthetic oil, about 5750 miles now, oil just changed about 200 miles ago. Pretty much been this way since day one. Any ideas or cause for concern or is it just the way this tranny works? Oh, Stock factory sprockets, chain in good shape and properly lubed.
Have you replaced your front tire? The stock Dunlop front cupped rapidly and created a major amount of front tire noise. I don't know how you could hear anything other than the tire if you haven't changed your front yet. I changed mine when it still had quite a bit of tread left because I couldn't stand the noise. I replaced it with a Michelin PR4 and now it is silent bliss. I think that my 2015 Versys 650 is the most silent motorcycle I have owned yet. I do not hear any noise from the transmission.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
Have you replaced your front tire? The stock Dunlop front cupped rapidly and created a major amount of front tire noise. I don't know how you could hear anything other than the tire if you haven't changed your front yet. I changed mine when it still had quite a bit of tread left because I couldn't stand the noise. I replaced it with a Michelin PR4 and now it is silent bliss. I think that my 2015 Versys 650 is the most silent motorcycle I have owned yet. I do not hear any noise from the transmission.
I have not replaced the front tire, It still has some life left on it at this point, though the rear will need replaced in the next 500 miles or so probably. The sound is made primarily under load and goes away if I pull in the clutch and coast, so I would assume it not to be the tire, but one never knows do they?
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
I have not replaced the front tire, It still has some life left on it at this point, though the rear will need replaced in the next 500 miles or so probably. The sound is made primarily under load and goes away if I pull in the clutch and coast, so I would assume it not to be the tire, but one never knows do they?
The tire would be making racket whenever you were moving. If the noise is primarily under load, the most likely candidate is the chain and sprockets. I lubricate my chain every 500 miles or less with Dupont chain lube. I always lubricate it immediately after riding in the rain - I have found that rain will wash the lubricant off and cause the chain to rapidly corrode. I have only adjusted my chain once since replacing the rear sprocket with a 43 tooth and cutting two links out of the chain. I have about 7,000 miles on my bike now.

Lift your rear tire and rotate it. It should spin freely and silently. If not, you have your problem. If you have it on the stand, you can start it and accelerate through the gears when you are checking for noise.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Chain is lubed and adjusted properly I use Motul chain paste and a motion pro alignment tool. Im just chalking it up to bike character at this point I suppose.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Do you have at least 1.4" of chain slack at its tightest rotating position, with rear suspension fully extended?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Do you have at least 1.4" of chain slack at its tightest rotating position, with rear suspension fully extended?
Yes if anything it's a tad in loose side but I'll double check tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode