Brake pads - is there a difference in brands? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Brake pads - is there a difference in brands?

From what I have read sintered brake pads seem to offer the best performance for street riding. I see there are several companies that make "sintered" type brake pads for the Versys. My question is there much a difference between the products of the same type, when they all use the similar technology. Are there other brands I should consider?

In past bikes I have installed EBC HH sintered pads on 2 previous bikes and noticed a noticeable improvement in lever feel. Less initially grabby but with a more linear relationship in rotor grip to lever pressure which I feel can make them easier to modulate in more extreme braking. As advertised the EBC HH pads are sintered ( composted of metal particles squeezed together under extreme pressure ) but so are a few other brands like Bike Master and DP that claim to be made the same way. DP pads are almost the exact same price as EBC HH while the Bike Master brand is considerably cheaper. My question is, is it simply a mater of paying more for a brand name or is there any real difference? With Bike Master, I would assume they have someone making pads for them as they sell everything from brake levers to 12V accessory sockets under that brand name although I have been happy with the quality of other products I have bought from them. Right now my belief is that I can get the same performance as EBC and save some money with Bikemaster, is my thinking correct?

Prices (in CDN dollars, for right and left brake pad sets for front wheel of Versys)

$78.02 https://fortnine.ca/en/bikemaster-sintered-brake-pads
$102.24 https://fortnine.ca/en/dp-brakes-sta...tal-brake-pads
$107.06 https://fortnine.ca/en/ebc-double-h-sintered-brake-pads

Last edited by twowheels; 09-13-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't really ride hard enough to make a difference. I use sintered metallic on the front and buy somewhat by price, but prefer brand names. The metallics seem to be hard on rotors and noisy scratchy sounding until quite warm. Braided lines and keeping clean fluid make the most difference. I use organic low price on the rear. Organics seem less hard grabbing and make it more difficult to lock the rear. I have never had a bike with ABS. I've also haven't had the V long enough to take it on a fully loaded trip. So our more sporting riders will have their favorites, our high mileage full load tourers may differ in their choices. Compared to the drum brakes we had 50+ years ago just about any disc pads make me happy. This thread will prolly go like an oil or tire thread; many valid experienced opinions, not much consensus.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the Vesrah Sintered Metal Pads on my 09. Was real happy with them.....catalog
JoeFatFUBAR likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
I don't really ride hard enough to make a difference. I use sintered metallic on the front and buy somewhat by price, but prefer brand names. The metallics seem to be hard on rotors and noisy scratchy sounding until quite warm. Braided lines and keeping clean fluid make the most difference. I use organic low price on the rear. Organics seem less hard grabbing and make it more difficult to lock the rear. I have never had a bike with ABS. I've also haven't had the V long enough to take it on a fully loaded trip. So our more sporting riders will have their favorites, our high mileage full load tourers may differ in their choices. Compared to the drum brakes we had 50+ years ago just about any disc pads make me happy. This thread will prolly go like an oil or tire thread; many valid experienced opinions, not much consensus.
What brand of metallic pads are you using? I respectfully disagree with a few of your points based on my prior experience.

1) One of the advertised (by most manufactures) advantages of sintered pads over organics is they are more consistent with regard to differences in temperature from hot to cold and also wet and dry. They do not benefit from warm up unlike organic pads, they perform the same cold or hot, and they are less likely to fade with heat. Can't say I've really noticed much difference in temperature but I don't ride that hard although they do grip better when really wet.

2) With regard to feel, the two installs of sintered pads I've had, have considerably reduced braking force at initial application of the brakes (they're less grabby than organic pads) which makes them more linear in feel wrt lever or pedal pressure. Any brake pad can lock the wheel easily, the difference is in how they respond to lever or pedal pressure. I feel this characteristic is especially advantageous at the rear where it is harder to modulate pressure with your foot than hand and thus it is less likely to lock the rear wheel under harder braking. The more linear feel of sintered pads, at least after you get used to them, allows me to brake closer to the limit without feeling I may accidentally lock the wheel.

3) As for noise I have never experienced squealing or annoying brake sound on any bike with any pads. The sintered pads however do have a distinct very faint sound I would compare to a distant field of chirping crickets.

4) Wear, while sintered pads do apparently wear rotors faster they also last longer. I have not noticed the rotor wear to be significant enough to notice wear on the rotors. Whatever pads you choose, the rotors should theoretically last the life of the bike unless riding track or some other unusual usage.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-13-2016 at 07:01 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm not seeing any areas of disagreement. You have added your impressions in a more detailed fashion.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode