• 1 Post By quexpress
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Gen 3 V650 Cam chain tensioner

I just adjusted the valves on my '15 V650.

FIRST - a 'disclaimer' - I have done the valves on my TWO Gen 1 V650s PROBABLY five times, w/ no real problems.

On the Gen 3, my first issue w/ the tensioner was the removal - basically VERY little room for a wrench or socket, but I "got 'er done", and I had to remove the clutch-cable bracket just inboard of the tensioner, and THAT was another PITA...!

Re-installation...?

It took QUITE a few hours to get it back into the engine, and I called upon a neighbor who rides a BMW and a Duc, for help. We finally had to grind a cheapo 12mm wrench down, as well as drill a "dimple" into the middle of the CAM TENSIONER CAP BOLT to be able to put pressure to the center of it, while turning it w/ the ground-up wrench (the force needed to overcome the 'compression spring' is CONSIDERABLE) to get the threads started.

At this point, despite doing the valves several times on the Gen 1s fairly easily, I may just save-up my $ to pay the dealership to do it NEXT time, especially IF I can get a price quoted BEFORE the job is started....

-
JoeSweatHog likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

" Wow... Timing (camshaft) CHAIN (not change) tensioner. Maybe you meant to say "Change (Replace) timing chain tensioner"? I suppose you could get away with "Replace cam chain tensioner"..."

invader - I'm NOT sure what you're getting at - I thought I was pretty concise.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

"It took QUITE a few hours to get it back into the engine, and I called upon a neighbor who rides a BMW and a Duc, for help. We finally had to grind a cheapo 12mm wrench down, as well as drill a "dimple" into the middle of the CAM TENSIONER CAP BOLT to be able to put pressure to the center of it, while turning it w/ the ground-up wrench (the force needed to overcome the 'compression spring' is CONSIDERABLE) to get the threads started."

Here's a pic showing the "dimple"....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
" Wow... Timing (camshaft) CHAIN (not change) tensioner. Maybe you meant to say "Change (Replace) timing chain tensioner"? I suppose you could get away with "Replace cam chain tensioner"..."

invader - I'm NOT sure what you're getting at - I thought I was pretty concise.
Interesting... I just figured you meant to say "Cam CHAIN Tensioner" or "Remove and Reinstall Cam CHAIN Tensioner" instead of "Cam CHANGE Tensioner".
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

invader - you got me...! I kept reading "chain" rather than "change". GOOD eyes...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What were the results? Did any need adjustment?

Your news of the difficulty to check valves DID NOT make my day.
Mike

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

"We finally had to grind a cheapo 12mm wrench down,..." and here are three pics of it (but I WILL grind it some more, as it is ONLY to turn the CAP BOLT in, NOT to fully tighten it.

Bug Dr. "What were the results? Did any need adjustment?..."

Yes, ALL eight needed adjusting. I try to set mine towards the 'loose' end of the range, which is - .15 to .21mm intake; .22 to .31mm exhaust - but three of my exhaust valves were VERY close (at .225mm), and one was .265, while my intakes were .155, .165 on two, and .145 (OVER tight).

BTW - the adjustment is called for at 24K kms, and I did them at 26,243 kms....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
So Taking Advice from Above

Well after much research I was able to break loose my chain tensioner bolt and came up with a plan. Next problem was finding the tool, one of those things where the metric combination wrenches are 8/10; 11/13;14/15/;17/19, skipping the 12mm. So I got lucky today, my local Canadian tire had a complete metric set @ 40% off, $35 plus tax , since it was too late to call, I don't know if this was clearance for the store or a special unadvertised. I will find that out tomorrow. FYI only the S wrench has a 12mm, but the half moon has a 8mm, bonus! Mastercraft #058-2520

So in all seriousness I need to thank Eddie for the posting and the info over the phone, I am sure there are a chosen few on this forum that would ever attempt this valve shim check, for those with the ability, it is always nice to come up with a means of making things easier. One other thing I considered was buying a cheap 12mm combination wrench and heating and bending it to match a half moon wrench, since this complete set was available, I couldn't resist, including lifetime warranty ( which doesn't mean much nowadays)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160910_173715261.jpg (52.9 KB, 54 views)
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-11-2016 at 09:45 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Well after much research I was able to break loose my chain tensioner bolt and came up with a plan. Next problem was finding the tool, one of those things where the metric combination wrenches are 8/10; 11/13;14/15/;17/19, skipping the 12mm. So I got lucky today, my local Canadian tire had a complete metric set @ 40% off, $35 plus tax , since it was too late to call, I don't know if this was clearance for the store or a special unadvertised. I will find that out tomorrow. FYI only the S wrench has a 12mm, but the half moon has a 8mm, bonus!

So in all seriousness I need to thank Eddie for the posting and the info over the phone, I am sure there are a chosen few on this forum that would ever attempt this valve shim check, for those with the ability, it is always nice to come up with a means of making things easier. One other thing I considered was buying a cheap 12mm combination wrench and heating and bending it to match a half moon wrench, since this complete set was available, I couldn't resist, including lifetime warranty ( which doesn't mean much nowadays)
That's a very good price. I'll check our local Canadian Tire tomorrow.
Will you need to grind the half moon wrench to handle the chain tensioner bolt?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 PM

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Harbor Freight

5 Piece Metric S-Type Wrench Set
onewizard likes this.

2016 Orange Versys 650 LT , 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear Up
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Update Canadian Tire 058-2520 Metric Wrench set

since quoting is almost impossible, this sort of works, price for just the S wrenches is reasonable from Harbor Freight and the only thing required to make the job easier , however for roughly $5 more you get the half moon wrenches which have a 8mm in them. BTW thanks for posting the link.Would be nice if we had a Harbor Freight here in Canada, our Princess Auto carries similar stuff.

Thought I would update , called the store I purchased from and found out I could have purchased them from the Waterloo store for $29.99, so it looks like it is a store specific clearance , not in the flyers .
As to the question of grinding, the only 12 mm box wrench in the set is the S wrench. I tried it and you get almost two full flats in rotation with one stroke, so this is the wrench to use, the 8 mm is in the half moon set and it too will make removing the chain tensioner 8 mm bolts. Considering buying another one.

So if you have more than one Canadian Tire store around, call for prices for 058-2520, FYI as long as you know the price, the stores will price match a cheaper store.

For those wondering, yes I did a full turn of the chain tensioner bolt with my new wrench, ---so this winter I will do the valve shim check, should be up to 10,000 KM by then.
Kzen likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-11-2016 at 10:00 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
since quoting is almost impossible, this sort of works, price for just the S wrenches is reasonable from Harbor Freight and the only thing required to make the job easier , however for roughly $5 more you get the half moon wrenches which have a 8mm in them. BTW thanks for posting the link.Would be nice if we had a Harbor Freight here in Canada, our Princess Auto carries similar stuff.

Thought I would update , called the store I purchased from and found out I could have purchased them from the Waterloo store for $29.99, so it looks like it is a store specific clearance , not in the flyers .
As to the question of grinding, the only 12 mm box wrench in the set is the S wrench. I tried it and you get almost two full flats in rotation with one stroke, so this is the wrench to use, the 8 mm is in the half moon set and it too will make removing the chain tensioner 8 mm bolts. Considering buying another one.

So if you have more than one Canadian Tire store around, call for prices for 058-2520, FYI as long as you know the price, the stores will price match a cheaper store.

For those wondering, yes I did a full turn of the chain tensioner bolt with my new wrench, ---so this winter I will do the valve shim check, should be up to 10,000 KM by then.
Yes it is a store specific clearance. I have checked one Can. Tire in my area. I'll verify others later on today.

I already have half moon wrenches. I'm therefore considering a trip to visit a friend south of the border and at the same time visit Harbor Freight.

Thanks for the grinding + wrench info/tips.

I just shuffle slower.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the links!

invader and Kzen
Kzen likes this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks to ALL THREE of you, Kzen, invader, and onewizard!

As I don't need to do my valves for quite awhile, I just put TWO sets of the H-F "S" wrenches onto my AZ 'buy-list'.
onewizard, quexpress and Kzen like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 PM

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Post has Gone Viral

Thanks Invader, in fact today I got a refund of $5, using price match at Canadian tire. You found many of the ones I found but decided against simply because of the shipping and US dollar. One I did find was in the UK , available in the half moon 12 mm size, again exchange and shipping too much. So I got lucky as CTC regular price is $59.99 .

Invader is something like Google Ca, except for motorcycle related parts and info, better watch they aren't patching into your internet connection
I think next time I am going to send some PM's instead. Sure turned lively. to all that put forward advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode