Fuel overflow even when tank not full - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fuel overflow even when tank not full

PO said he tried everything and so did the dealer. That may or may not be however is this a common known problem? Couldn't find anything in search so maybe it's just mine. If so, any suggestions besides check gas cap for blockage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 01:56 PM

First two things come to mind: 1. Are the overflow tubes attached to the correct fittings? Blue dot hose to forward fitting. 2. Is the fuel sender leaking? Need more info to give any more ideas....

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for trying to help bcalan. Hoses are good I believe but where would fuel sender be leaking? Have a pic please? Not very familiar with the bike yet, just got it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:34 PM

Fuel sender confusion on my part. My '90 Concours has an overflow under the area where the fuel sender unit bolts to the tank bottom so if it leaks the leaking fuel will be directed through a tube to the ground. V doesn't have that. Check this link: http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...8664#sch706784 and you will see both overflow tubes run from the fuel cap area through the tank. I would fill the tank, block the rubber tubes, gently blow some air through each tube (NOT with a compressor) and see if there are any bubbles in the gas, or if I could hear the sound of any air escaping inside the tank. You didn't say if it was both tubes or whether or not it was a continuous leak. I would suspect a holed or disconnected tube. Digging further I would remove the fuel cap and look. Digging even further I would remove the empty tank, take off the fuel sender, remove the fuel pump and look into the tank with a good light carefully checking the internal lines. That's all I can suggest without actually being there.
There is some chance, if the amount of fuel coming down the overflow tube is slight, of evaporation coming down the vent tube. High ethanol gas? Gas cap vent valve not sealing? Gas cap valve tampered with to eliminate the "teakettle" whistle when the vent valve relieves tank pressure? Throw enough stuff on the wall something will stick. I doubt if a dealer mechanic working on commission would give this problem the time it deserves.... Good Luck.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Dang that's comprehensive. Thanks a lot. I have lots of work ahead of me. Will report back on my progress and hopeful resolution of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode