Can we talk about windscreen position? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AdventureSeeker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Can we talk about windscreen position?

I've got the Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen. It's currently mounted in the most vertical presentation possible, but I get an incredible amount of buffeting off the top of the screen. Enough that at highway speeds, even with filtered earplugs in, I can't hear my Sena in a pretty quiet helmet. (Scorpion EXO-1100)

The other day on a longer ride I was experimenting with tucking my head a little bit and WOW what a difference, silence. I want more of that without ducking.

I'm only 5'7", it isn't like my head's up high. Do I...increase the angle to try to get more slice through the wind and less push? Do I try to find some clip-on-top addon? Do I fabricate an extension from some metal or something?

Help?

Edit: Bike is a 2013 650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Zero Gravity Touring and have tried all three positions before the final install (it took a while), 2014 650. Here is how I rate it.

Position 1 (stock) = Good, much improved over stock.

Position 2 (Aft hole up) = Very good, it gets the most height coverage. I'm 5'11" and it is my setting.

Position 3 (both holes up) = This one is a cross of position 1 with a little more under air flow and maybe a tad more air flow height over stock. I don't like it at all! I believe the stock sheild is better at position 1 than this.

If you have it at setting two and it isn't good for you, you probably need an attachment. How you sit, slouch, helmet, body shape, torso height etc. all make a difference in personal effect and preference.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Madstad sells one so you can even adjust it higher - MadStad Adjustable Windshield Brackets

I ended up going balls to the wall and put in 1" rubber spacers for the top of my screen, and put 0.5" of spacers on the lower mount, it has lasted about 3k miles so far.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I wasn't able to get to the bike last night to see exactly where I have it, hopefully I'm just dumb and I have it in your "position 3", Rebel13.

I've looked at the madstad but it doesn't look like the naked bracket is available for the 13? Just the Gen 1's?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Madstad sells one so you can even adjust it higher - MadStad Adjustable Windshield Brackets

I ended up going balls to the wall and put in 1" rubber spacers for the top of my screen, and put 0.5" of spacers on the lower mount, it has lasted about 3k miles so far.
Apologies for the late response---but would you be able to take a picture of your spacers?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:29 AM

Garage
I raised the top shield "guide" bolt assembly above the top of the windscreen brackets. Only the bottom assembly is inside the slides on the brackets.

This did two things for me, 1st the buffeting is abated and 2nd the air in front of me and at least one hands width above my helmet is clean. This in turn stopped most of my noise. To put this into perspective I am only 5'8" tall but it works for me.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 05:42 AM

I use a Puig and it is absolutely the best windshield ever. I can cruise at highway speed in comfort and quiet. The stock windshield was awful. The faster you went the worse it got. Also the higher you raised it the worse the buffeting got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG5279.jpg (57.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG5277.jpg (58.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG5276.jpg (39.9 KB, 248 views)

Versatile Versys
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
I raised the top shield "guide" bolt assembly above the top of the windscreen brackets. Only the bottom assembly is inside the slides on the brackets.

This did two things for me, 1st the buffeting is abated and 2nd the air in front of me and at least one hands width above my helmet is clean. This in turn stopped most of my noise. To put this into perspective I am only 5'8" tall but it works for me.
I think I understand but it's entirely likely that I don't. Are you saying only the lower bolts are screwed in and the upper two are just resting on the dash? I was thinking I might fabricate a taller top bracket...can you help me understand?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:07 PM

Garage
Well you sort of have it right. The top to bolts rest against the top of the windscreen brackets on each side.

The rubber pieces below the windscreen slide pieces are just there to keep rattles away (I didn't have any but put them there anyway. The adjustment knobs on the windscreen hold the screen very tight and there is no flexing. Raising this made all the difference for me. The windscreen now throws the buffeting air well above my helmet.

Hope that helps you some.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the AirFlow from Givi and it is amazing! No buffeting, it creates a "bubble" of air around me, I can listen music at the same level at 30km/h and 100km/h.
I can hear the engine now up to ....... more than I'm allowed, because I don't have the air noise.

I can advertise for them, even though I don't get anything...

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:00 PM

Garage
Get the Puig from Revzilla! Smoke is the best tint. Worth every penny! Also I recommend their rear mudguard in the carbon fiber look. Has helped keep the dirt down and improve the look of the bike a lot!!

Puig Touring Windscreen Kawasaki Versys 650 / 1000 - RevZilla
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Hehe you guys keep showing me stuff that fits Gen 3 bikes, I have a 2013 Gen 2. That Puig is $190 for my 13', not loving that. The Givi looks basically exactly like my ZG. Thanks though!

I picked up some bits and pieces yesterday at the hardware store that I THINK are going let me alter my angle just enough to make it perfect, will know more after this weekend! Thanks everyone.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Garage
I have the same windshield and have it in position 3 with these DIY spacers that give it lift and a tad more angle. I am 6'3" and with the Puig spoiler it's just about right with no buffeting or much wind noise. I do have a Modular Bell Evo Revolver helmet, I found that the bill on a Dualsport helmet was too much. I tried 3-4 different windshields before changing helmets. And with glasses putting on the modular is much easier.
These pictures was with an MRA windscreen, when I fabbed up the brackets. It was still a little short.

This is what it looks like now with the ZG shield

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
NICE pics, Jeff...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is yours a 650? What kind of rack is that? Thanks.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
Is yours a 650? What kind of rack is that? Thanks.
If you are asking ME, yes it's a 2011 650 and the rear rack is a SW Motech

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Hey all. I decided to try to put together brackets w/o having to deal with milling or cutting or any of that fun stuff, and I wanted to be able to "infinitely" adjust angle, and I did it for $11 in parts. Now at 90mph I've got no buffeting issues and can hear my old man audio books. Well, a weeee bit at very high speed but if I duck my chin an inch I'm good, I'll probably fiddle with angle of attack again a little, and go ahead and paint the brackets. Even without ducking it's dramatically improved. I ride VERY upright because of my bad back.

This is 1 package (of 4) "Mending Brackets" from the fence hardware section @ Lowes, 8x rubber washers, and 4x m6 screws and lock nuts. Brackets are zinc and the bolts are stainless. I need to add 4x regular washers too, the bolt head is deforming the rubber washers on the outside.

Order of attachment is bolt head => rubber washer => windscreen => rubber washer => mending bracket => lock nut.

I really should add a regular washer between the bolt head and the rubber washer. I used the original well nuts and bolts for the bottom attachments of the bracket, they fit fine.

I did right at 100 miles with it on yesterday and another 20 this AM, all speeds low to ludicrous, no issues.

Here's the pic:
Rebel13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode