Stator or battery - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Versys John
  • 3 Post By Versys John

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stator or battery

Today while riding my 2008 Versys with 25,500 mi.the motor stopped when I came to a stop.I hit starter button and nothing happened, I then checked all the switches to find out they where all in the proper position. I hit starter button again and got a little buzz from solenoid. I then removed seat and disconnected the battery, I removed the leads for the USB charger a d battery tender, cleaned cable ends and reconnected the battery.I put seat back on, hit starter and bike started, but there was no instrumentation and turn signals where very dim.I started down road towards a safe place, about 40 50 seconds into ride the instrumentation lights came on, went about 4-5 miles they went back out about 3-4 more miles the fuel injection light flashed and bike stopped again, its now at dealer as I purchasd an extended warranty when I got bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
my guess would be stater and or R/R

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Extended Warranty Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys John View Post
Today while riding my 2008 Versys with 25,500 mi.the motor stopped when I came to a stop.I hit starter button and nothing happened, I then checked all the switches to find out they where all in the proper position. I hit starter button again and got a little buzz from solenoid. I then removed seat and disconnected the battery, I removed the leads for the USB charger a d battery tender, cleaned cable ends and reconnected the battery.I put seat back on, hit starter and bike started, but there was no instrumentation and turn signals where very dim.I started down road towards a safe place, about 40 50 seconds into ride the instrumentation lights came on, went about 4-5 miles they went back out about 3-4 more miles the fuel injection light flashed and bike stopped again, its now at dealer as I purchasd an extended warranty when I got bike.
I am just curious about your extended warranty, was this on a used bike or new bike, what was the cost and how long is it good for? Sorry a lot of questions, just curious, every once in a while you get lucky on warranty.
Let us know what they find, the battery I doubt is covered. If they are a good dealer and find the battery gone and the stator, they should replace the stator at NC and you pay for the battery. If they are like my former dealer, under the same circumstances, they would say the battery caused the damage to the stator, and I would pay for everything, except they may throw in a hour labor trying to make me think they are really a great dealer, I know better now.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I bought 2 yr warranty when I purchased bike a out 7mo. ago, tbere reputation is good and writeup guy said sometimes if its a bad rectifier and battery was fried because of that tbey can vet battery covered. I believe its a stator or rotor as battery ne er got hot and seamed to be charging itself a little while it sat. I don't remember what it cost but couldn't have been outrageous or I probably wouldn't have got it, being a pretty fair mechanic with a repair manual and wiring diagrams available to me.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Regulator Failure is Rare

Quote:
I bought 2 yr warranty when I purchased bike a out 7mo. ago, tbere reputation is good and writeup guy said sometimes if its a bad rectifier and battery was fried because of that tbey can vet battery covered. I believe its a stator or rotor as battery ne er got hot and seamed to be charging itself a little while it sat. I don't remember what it cost but couldn't have been outrageous or I probably wouldn't have got it, being a pretty fair mechanic with a repair manual and wiring diagrams available to me.
In all likelihood, it is the stator and it went to ground / shorted , every once in a while there is a single phase condition caused by a bad connection at the stator plug, this usually causes both regulator failure and stator failure, very rare but it does happen, usually on a long ride where you are at 4000 RPM and above for hours on end, enough time to burn the magnet wire and short 1 phase of the rectifier.

Sounds like you made a wise decision on extended warranty. Please post what they did and if possible, if it is the stator, ask to take some close up pictures.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Onewizard,I was thinking stator also, haven't heard from dealer yet.You are worrying me as I usually ride fore 2-4 hours 2-3 days a week, always above 4k RPM.if this continues to be an issue I'll need to rethink how long I will keep the Versys.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Regulator Problem is a Simple Fix

Quote:
Onewizard,I was thinking stator also, haven't heard from dealer yet.You are worrying me as I usually ride fore 2-4 hours 2-3 days a week, always above 4k RPM.if this continues to be an issue I'll need to rethink how long I will keep the Versys.
As the title suggests, root cause is the regulator, Polaris is the solution, I have a detailed how to on this site, if it took a hour, you must have had at least two beers during the process .
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

O.k. haven't seen the polaris regulator post yet I will look it up. Yes it was a two beer wait at a very nice cafe in St. Marks, Fl.(Cooter Stew Cafe great food very reasonable).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
A charging issue will often kill the battery. Although the battery is not the root cause, will undoubtedly be toast or barely hold a charge after this. You can kill a lead acid battery by letting it run down to nothing a few times.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

The write up guy said they would try to get battery cover under warranty also if its determined the charging system was cause.
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Heard from dealer today, actually I went there.they are replacing the stator and regulator, and I think the rotor, he said complete system would be new.
onewizard, weljo2001 and quexpress like this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Extended Warranty Pays Big Dividend

The title says it all, I find it hard to believe the rotor is getting replaced. Like I said before, ask if you could see the stator and get some close up pictures.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Ill try, will probably be difficult as my schedule and there schedule don't align very often. They said 3 to 5 business days to ship parts its already Tues. If they didn't order this afternoon it will probably be next week before they do anything, don't know if they have the warranty authorization yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode