Bold vendors - other than dealers? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bolt vendors - other than dealers?

Gents, looked unsuccessfully for threads on this subject - anyone know where to buy replacement fasteners (in my case, front engine mount nuts 2010V)?

Kawasaki advises to not re-use these fasteners, I suspect they're torque-to-yield. Installing crash bars and discover torque wrench has failed and stripped out the threads on the nut on one side.

M10 x 1.25 is 'just' fine thread metric (a jam nut in this case), so far I would have to buy in a box from online fastener vendors, or $4 @ at dealer - not life threatening, but seems a lot of $ like all OEM stuff, and will take 5-7 business days to get.

Really looking for (1) known good dealer for fasteners from many of you that farkle a lot, and (2) any thoughts on simply using a different SAE fastener (replace bolt and hex jam nut) for about $1 - specifically on another thread some advised some of these fasteners are meant to shear off before something more important breaks - grade 5 perhaps?

Kawasaki doesn't seem to have actual bolt specs available beyond size and thread pitch.

KAW part #s 92015-1188 NUT,LOCK,10MM,BLACK (front nut) and just in case 92210-1081 NUT (lower nut).

Wisdom gratefully appreciated.

Last edited by PHX_Joe; 08-17-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I stripped the heads of a few bolts on my front brakes once. I know I could have bought them elsewhere, but I bit the bullet and paid the crazy Kawasaki prices to make sure I had exactly the same part. For me the peace of mind was worth a few extra bucks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My local ACE stores have a lot of nuts & bolts, as do Home Depot and Lowes.

In my previous city of about 100k people, we had a bolt store that mainly sold to industrial places but you could walk in and buy stuff. Seems they had every bolt & nut size type you could imagine. Maybe a place like that is not common though.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Good advice, guys, thank you! There's a bunch of 'industrial' bolt vendors in PHX, so far all 'whole box only' guys when dealing with fine thread metric jam nuts. Going to try Mark's Bolts in Glendale tomorrow, he's got a cool store, but a bit of a hike away.

Called the dealer again, not sure he really knew for sure but confirmed torque to yield and "the front mounts are harder replace than a new bolt and nut", said the nut did exactly what it is supposed to do when over-torqued and recommended against non-OEM based on "manufacturers don't build to 'best', they build to be 'good enough' for the particular application", said he'd seen guys crank up replacement-from-stock grade 5 or 8 fasteners where unnecessary and end up ripping out threads, or cracking housings and other costly bits.

Looks like he's peddling both fear and wisdom??

Again, $4 nut not the end of the world and super glad mount not broken over my POS Craftsman Micro-Click - where I take the "micro" part to mean the click is so micro, you can't hear it. It's less than a year old, seems to have fully failed. Reviews of it on Amazon tell the whole tale. Ordered a new digital AC Delco in/lb.

Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mcmaster Carr has almost everything you need

2016 Orange Versys 650 LT , 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode