2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Pirelli Tires choice

Im in need of new tires after 1000 miles of street riding. I ride 95 percent street and a little gravel. My pace is intermediate on track and spirited on street. My old bike had the Pirelli scorpions and I loved them on that bike (Honda CB500X). My other bike a FZ09 has the angels and I love them on that bike but it's a 180 rear. Any one have experience with either in the 160 on a versys? Also would I be better to get the A spec which is intended for heavier bikes?

P.S. I ride a 2015 650 LT

Short riders are people too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the midget View Post
My old bike had the Pirelli scorpions and I loved them on that bike (Honda CB500X).
Metzlers are made by the same company and are much cheaper...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the Pirelli Angels on my '13 650 and like them a lot so far. I did not get the A spec for heavier bikes, as I took that to mean 600+ lb cruisers and the like.
Another popular choice is the Michelin Pilot Road 4, they're usually less expensive. Pirelli was having some sort of rebate when I bought them, so they were a better price at the time.
Metzler is the same as Pirelli, as mentioned above, so another good option.

I do no off road, these tires are sport tour. Not sure how good they would be off roading. The Scorpions are more suited to off road use.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The Metzeler Tourance Next and the Pirelli Scorpion 2 are in the same category and both made by Pirelli. The Tourance Next is apparently longer wearing while the Scorpion has better on pavement grip.

The Versys is not considered a heavy weight bike.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 AM

I used to work for Pirelli at the race tracks changing tires for the pro's
I was impressed what racers said about the Diablo II that the super retards were using.

The V needs some new sneakers, SO,
ordered a set of Pirelli Rosso Diablo II from BTO sports (who is employing a local kid on his 450 motocross team.) Benny Bloss.
for $245.00 shipped.
I will install and balance myself, we will go from there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Diablos are an awesome tire. A bit less "tour" than the Angels, methinks, but should still have decent wear and better grip!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I ended up with the Angels's. Have about 400 miles of Deals Gap Dragon on them and love them. Currently running 38 psi rear and 36 front. Think I am going to up the rear to 42 see if that helps tire life.

Short riders are people too!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:03 PM

42 rear seem quite high.... I run 33-36.
Let us know how you feel about the new psi.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the midget View Post
I ended up with the Angels's. Have about 400 miles of Deals Gap Dragon on them and love them. Currently running 38 psi rear and 36 front. Think I am going to up the rear to 42 see if that helps tire life.
42 rear?! Careful with that as it may narrow your contact patch and lead to abnormal wear. I stick with 32F/36R
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
42 rear?! Careful with that as it may narrow your contact patch and lead to abnormal wear. I stick with 32F/36R
I thought 36 front 42 rear was recommended for this bike. I could be wrong. I know it recommended for the V1k per the OM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch71 View Post
I thought 36 front 42 rear was recommended for this bike. I could be wrong. I know it recommended for the V1k per the OM.
I actually just checked my he OM on line for the 650 and it's 32/36
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkitty View Post
42 rear seem quite high.... I run 33-36.
Let us know how you feel about the new psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
When I picked up my '08, the dealer's mechanic recommended 36 psi F, 42 R when I asked him, so I went w/ that. I ran my KLR, my SR500, my Bandit 1200S (as well as THREE V 650s) at those pressures, and then, in his "build thread" jdrocks wrote that he uses those pressures, and NEVER 'airs-down' (as that can lead to bent/ broken rims).

I've ridden some GNARLY stuff w/ jdrocks (the AZBDR on knobbies), also on DS rubber, street rubber, and I GENERALLY get VG mileage from my tires, and I tend to NOT have 'chicken-strips' on my tires, and I TOO never 'air-down'. BTW - I weigh about 178# PLUS gear - ATGATT.

A few AZ riders have ridden w/ me and mentioned the 'pace' that I kept....
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:17 PM

I just bought my first set of Michelin PR4's for my V to replace the stock Dunlops. Cost more but excellent reviews and feedback. Ran one set of Pirellis on a previous bike with no real complaints better than stockers.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
When i bought my 09 650 the mechanic also told me to run 36F 42R so thats what i always did and always got great mileage out of my tires and never had any issues...
quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode