Had a freaky deaky dutch situation during oil change (YIKES) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Out West

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Had a freaky deaky dutch situation during oil change (YIKES)

I was changing the oil on my 2016 Versys 1000 when this happened. This was the 3rd oil change. The 1st two were uneventful. The 3rd one went as usual UNTIL this; warm up engine real well, drop oil, drop filter, let drain, install filter, replace crush washer and drain plug, fill with oil. All well at this point. I did put some oil in new filter but didn't top it off. When I started it the RED indicator light didn't turn off as it usually does in 2-3 seconds. I shut it down. Waited a minute. Started again. Light still wouldn't go out. What the F____K? I removed the oil filter and there was no oil present? I started it for 1-2 seconds and oil started to flow at oil filter location. I shut it down, filled filter to the top, screwed it on quickly, restarted engine, LIGHT WENT OUT. Put heart back in mouth and regrouped from my state of panic. Never had seen anything like this with any other bike I've owned? Anyway all seems well and tragedy averted. What did I learn? For now on and ever more I will FULLY PRE-FILL the oil filter before starting an engine with a fresh oil change. I never want to experience that again!!! Kind of a heads up for all!

Versatile Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 AM

I know on some bikes .Part of the oil change procedure is to burp the bike.I wonder when you took off the filter it did it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I know on some bikes .Part of the oil change procedure is to burp the bike.I wonder when you took off the filter it did it.
Having done motorcycle oil changes for the last 40 years or so, this "burp" procedure was something new to me. I first read about it over on the British V1k site. Anyway, I've never done it and am not even sure I know how, but I always prefill the oil filter before I screw it on and I've never had a problem. I've done 5 oil changes on my V1k now.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Having done motorcycle oil changes for the last 40 years or so, this "burp" procedure was something new to me. I first read about it over on the British V1k site. Anyway, I've never done it and am not even sure I know how, but I always prefill the oil filter before I screw it on and I've never had a problem. I've done 5 oil changes on my V1k now.
I also never had a problem with all the oil changes I have done through the years.But I know on a sportster I owned it was a recommended
procedure.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Funny, I've never put oil in an oil filter and have never had an issue. Just did the oil and filter change on the 1000.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Funny, I've never put oil in an oil filter and have never had an issue. Just did the oil and filter change on the 1000.
It will eventually get there. The light will just stay on longer. No big deal. It's not like there's not oil in the engine. Just takes it a little longer to pressurize.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Well after reading all these responses I have come to the conclusion that if the oil filter isn't pre-filled there is a greater chance that it will take longer for the engine to pressurize and the oil indicator light to turn off. I like it turn off quickly so fill it I will. Thanks for the help.

Versatile Versys
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Don't fill your filter to the top, or you'll just be wiping a lot of oil off your floor from it leaking out as you tilt the filter to thread it in....

Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Don't fill your filter to the top, or you'll just be wiping a lot of oil off your floor from it leaking out as you tilt the filter to thread it in....

How about 3/4 full? I don't ever want to see that RED light on again!

Versatile Versys
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
How about 3/4 full? I don't ever want to see that RED light on again!
I don't know if it is as much as filling the filter.I think when you removed your filter you got the air pocket out. Check out this old Kawasaki thread.
Burping your baby after an oil change - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Excellent. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one with this issue! Thanks

Versatile Versys
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:50 PM

Hmmm. I never put oil in a new filter prior to installation. Not on a motorcycle or a car. Never heard of such.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out West View Post
Hmmm. I never put oil in a new filter prior to installation. Not on a motorcycle or a car. Never heard of such.
i always have, i dont fill the filter but i pour some into the filter (1/2 full or so) and rub some on the gasket/O-ring to help it seat without binding

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yes it does help to have the oil filter half filled... You can actually pour oil in filter up to the top, and let the pleats soak it up. It does take a while for all the filtering media to absorb oil and release the air, so give it some time. The filter can then be about half full with all the pleats soaked up, and you can tilt it to install without a mess.

Last edited by invader; 11-06-2016 at 10:31 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out West View Post
Been doing this to my filters since the "Dawn of Time".... (I'm pretty OLD.) PROBABLY read about doing it in HOT ROD or CAR CRAFT magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i always have, i dont fill the filter but i pour some into the filter (1/2 full or so) and rub some on the gasket/O-ring to help it seat without binding
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yes it does help to have the oil filter half filled... You can actually pour oil in filter up to the top, and let the pleats soak it up. It does take a while for all the filtering media to absorb oil and release the air, so give it some time. The filter can then be about half full with all the pleats soaked up, and you can tilt it to install without a mess.
What silviefox and invader said.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode