2015 plastic removal? (front break line) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 plastic removal? (front break line)

Anybody remove this Shi* yet? In the shop with my eyes running.
Why is it so fu?**** stupid. If you have done this or have some pictures I will buy u a bier (zero on stupidtube I find). PM me if you can help!! Down shifting and rear break only in the last 2 weeks!! Still riding!

180 miles from SLC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike down.jpg (112.3 KB, 93 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Did the salesman tell you the Versys is a dual sport? It is no wondering is on its side.

The service manual shouldgiveyoustepbystepinstructionsonremovingthe plastics.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 12:40 AM

The owner's manual actually gives a pretty good procedure. Ignore all the stuff about tabs. The only thing you have to do is remove the fasteners listed in the owner's manual and carefully pop out the push pins (when I say push pins, it is the large projections in the fairing that go into holes with circular rubber grommets). The push pins in the rear and lower parts of the fairing come out first and then the ones in the front come out next. Reinstall in reverse order. It helps if you put some silicone lube on the push pins (projections) before putting it back together, they fit very tight. Do NOT try to force things, go slow and carefully wiggle the fairing while pulling it towards you.

I had to take all of the bodywork off to install my accessories. It is scary, but go slow and follow the instructions in the service manual and owner's manual. The pictures I attached are from installing Kawasaki fog lights a couple of days ago - not for the faint of heart! Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160727_100424.jpg (49.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160727_100412.jpg (43.7 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by Green Streak; 07-31-2016 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Add photos

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm guessing no left front turn signal, either. Ouch.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Bummer about your bike. You'll probably be an expert at taking it apart when you are done. :-)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Nope turn signal still there :0) Just some plastic broken which I can live with!! Just need breaks!! My body is still black and blue!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyburns View Post
Nope turn signal still there :0) Just some plastic broken which I can live with!! Just need breaks!! My body is still black and blue!
What did you break on the brakes? I can't understand why it would be necessary to remove the bodywork. You crashed on the left side, the front brake is on the right.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:34 AM

Garage
If you can't remove the plastic on this bike you should probably sell it and buy an XL650. It is probably the easiest bike to gain access to that I've ever owned. Of course, after removing the tupperware from an ST 1300 everything is easy.
Good luck with your repairs. Remove the plastic once and you will be an expert.
Mike

Last edited by Bug Dr.; 08-01-2016 at 08:49 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Garage
Is a "break" anything like a brake? Just kidding. I do I agree that once you've used the maintenance manual to locate the fasteners and remove the tupperware for the first time, it is an easier task next time. The key to this is patience grasshopper.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Streak View Post
What did you break on the brakes? I can't understand why it would be necessary to remove the bodywork. You crashed on the left side, the front brake is on the right.
The line is routed from lever down to top tube and flips a 180 out under the plastic! kinda goes behind the tank also. I will try tomorrow as no front break is killing me!! )not really(
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:01 PM

Garage
the center pin that locks the push pin can be hard to pull out, but on the Versys you can reach behind to the back side and push the lock pin up to release

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode