problems with gas cap???????? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
problems with gas cap????????

has anybody had any problems with the locking gas cap?? my gas cap is now 100% unopenable. this is a very sad thing seeing its not even a year old and only 3000 miles on it. now its in the dealership because my friend snaped the key off in it trying to open it up. anybody have a simmiler issue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 AM

I've got 2200 miles or so, I think I've got to push down on the cap while turning the key. I know for sure to lock it back up I've got to push firmly down to get the key to turn.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Keep it lubed - you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Secondly - there is a method to inserting your key into the hole. This works on the ignition as well. Look at the key slot - next to the slit is a half-moon indention. Insert your key into that and not the key slot itself.

What this does is slides the key hole door to the right. It's a slide not a swinging door.

My dealer explained this to me before I rode off the lot - he said it's his #1 repair complaint.

Keep it lubed (spray some graphite or wd-40) and insert the key properly and you won't have any problems.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

i was placing so much downward pressure on it my feet were off the ground.... what i think happened is possible one of the pins inside the lock acctually broke but we will see what the dealer says when i get it back. the down side is the only dealer close to my house the service department is the most clueless people in the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

The other thing to check and lube occasionally is the rubber seal on the underside. My Honda ST 1300 was starting to stick and a little lube and that was that.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
4000 miles on mine, when I have to play and wiggle to unlock,
then I know it is time for a little more lube.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
I've got 2200 miles or so, I think I've got to push down on the cap while turning the key. I know for sure to lock it back up I've got to push firmly down to get the key to turn.
I have to do the same thing to lock it, I'm at 3500 KM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 PM

So far I have not had any troubles, but the whole mechanism does seem a bit tricky at times. I catch myself trying to move the cap with the key and have to remind myself that it is not a pry bar and I should be pushing and pulling on the cap itself, not the key. I'll have to try some lube as well.

Corey
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:12 PM

Check your vent tube. If it is clogged, it will cause a vacuum in the tank and "suck" the cap down onto the seal.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 PM

2000 miles and no problems yet...

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 PM

Just have to keep it lubed. A locksmith told me the best thing is the spray dry lube in this southern humidity. Gave all my bikes a shot last month. Much smoother key action in all.

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 PM

Make sure the key is not bent. I bent the key and had a hard time opening the gas cap. I switched keys and all was fine but I am now way more careful with the key. With a little finess it should be fine for the life of the bike.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Tat View Post
Just have to keep it lubed. A locksmith told me the best thing is the spray dry lube in this southern humidity. Gave all my bikes a shot last month. Much smoother key action in all.
All my bikes? Look at Badtat rockin the stable. Must be nice. I do have a Versys and a Chrystler Town and Country though...captains chairs and all.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
All my bikes? Look at Badtat rockin the stable.
I had the pleasure of seeing it...very nice!

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Keep it lubed - you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Secondly - there is a method to inserting your key into the hole. This works on the ignition as well. Look at the key slot - next to the slit is a half-moon indention. Insert your key into that and not the key slot itself.

What this does is slides the key hole door to the right. It's a slide not a swinging door.

My dealer explained this to me before I rode off the lot - he said it's his #1 repair complaint.
This is the best thing I've learned on this site yet. Thanks man!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Do NOT turn the key.

Just push it down.

It may need lubing, but all motorcycle gas caps like this (its a standard across many brands), you just push it down not touching the key then remove the key.

Machog
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:25 PM

Mine would stick about once a month. Keep it lubed and follow the advice given. I ride mine regardless of the weather (7,000 miles). Seemed to stick more after a few days of wet riding. Last oil change I was in the garage and noticed a tube of fishing reel lube in one of my boxes. It is waterproof and contains graphite, so far so good.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Garage
On my way home from school tonight, I stopped to get some gas and couldn't get my gas cap unlocked. I was freaking out, thinking it might be jammed. After finding this thread, I lubed it with some wd-40 I had. The cap has always been sticky and I had to play with it to open it. I thought it was just a motorcycle thing. But after lubing it, it works like a charm now, very smooth and easy.

I just wanted to say , this forum rocks.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 PM

++1 on the lube. had the same (sticky) problem.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:44 AM

my gas cap almost totally locked up, the key would only move a little bit so i soaked it in wd-40, still nothing, the only way i fixed it was filling the key hole with lube and kept trying to turn the key back and forth, after about a minute it broke loose a little, i just kept turning it back and forth until it was buttery smooth. 8 months later still working fine. i did notice before it locked up, a white powdery corrosion build up on the inside of the key hole cover. so maybe watch out for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode