The Harbor Freight rear stand does NOT work on the 2015?! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The Harbor Freight rear stand does NOT work on the 2015?!

I bought this rear stand today because I read it works ok on the 2015 650. But I can not get it to fit, it interferes with the rear fender. Here's the post saying someone used it on their 2015 just fine. Maybe HF changed the size of the stand!? I don't know why it doesn't work on mine.

I'm attaching a photo, you can see I can't get my hand around the handle. It's frustrating because I drove an hour to pick up this stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-17 15.56.07.jpg (47.1 KB, 255 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought a pit bull stand to use on my 2015 The rear fender is a little longer on the 2015 than my 2008. The harbor freight stand does work on earlier models.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I bought this rear stand today because I read it works ok on the 2015 650. But I can not get it to fit, it interferes with the rear fender. Here's the post saying someone used it on their 2015 just fine. Maybe HF changed the size of the stand!? I don't know why it doesn't work on mine.

I'm attaching a photo, you can see I can't get my hand around the handle. It's frustrating because I drove an hour to pick up this stand.
My rear stand, a different model, also interferes with the rear fender, because of the center mounted handle. I have decided to just live with it as I can easily bend the flexible plastic rear fender in while I slide the stand into position. More of a minor nuisance than a problem of epic proportions. I would expect any stand with a center mounted handle will cause this issue. The only stand I am aware of with an offset handle is the pitbull.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-17-2016 at 05:44 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:

This is the stand I bought for my '15 Versys 650. It is more expensive, but it is solid as a rock and fits the bike perfectly. This is a case of "you get what you pay for". I bought the HF stand and it was very rickety when it was on the stand. Just splurge the extra $50 - you won't regret it.

https://www.amazon.com/T-Rex-Racing-...rex+rear+stand
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 06:57 PM

Garage
Quote:

Ugh... I have the same rear stand on its way to me right now... :/
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
snip that bit under the plate and your good i have and use the same stand on my 08

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
snip that bit under the plate and your good i have and use the same stand on my 08
That is one option. But I plan to replace the reflector with an LED tail/brake combo for additional visibility. So I want the whole fender.

I have some plans to modify the stand, but I'm not real happy about it.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Garage
I use the HF and have no issues with it.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I use the SAME H-F stand for my 2015 V. Initially I would catch my thumb, but then I "sectioned" 1.5" out of it, it LOOKS stock, keeps rain off my back, and no longer catches my thumb!

Probably co$t me 25 cents to do it....
unstable_rider likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:04 PM

I have the harbor freight stand and a 2015 Versys 650 LT. The stand does hit the rear fender. My solution was to use a 12" X 12" X 1" paver, think I spent $2 . I just roll the bike on to the paver and now have plenty of clearance to both raise the bike and to lower it. This was a very simple and inexpensive solution for me.

Pavestone 12 in. x 12 in. Terra Cotta Concrete Step Stone-71266 - The Home Depot

I used to be Cojacket on the forums now I'm BreckRider!

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckRider View Post
I have the harbor freight stand and a 2015 Versys 650 LT. The stand does hit the rear fender. My solution was to use a 12" X 12" X 1" paver, think I spent $2 . I just roll the bike on to the paver and now have plenty of clearance to both raise the bike and to lower it. This was a very simple and inexpensive solution for me.

Pavestone 12 in. x 12 in. Terra Cotta Concrete Step Stone-71266 - The Home Depot
Good idea. Under the rear wheel I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I use the SAME H-F stand for my 2015 V. Initially I would catch my thumb, but then I "sectioned" 1.5" out of it, it LOOKS stock, keeps rain off my back, and no longer catches my thumb!

Probably co$t me 25 cents to do it....
This is very interesting. I went out and looked at my fender and I don't see an easy way to do it. You cut a section out of the fender and reattached it?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 PM

That is my kind of fix!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Garage
My fender is also "bobbed" and that may be the difference it the HF one working.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
My fender is also "bobbed" and that may be the difference it the HF one working.

How did you do it and keep the reflector? If I could keep the reflector I wouldn't mind cutting it.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 11:18 AM

Garage
Return the fancy aluminum stand to HF and get the cheaper one...
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ps2vs6u9m3.jpg
Works fine on the 2015... no issues with the fender... doesn't need spools...
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...This is very interesting. I went out and looked at my fender and I don't see an easy way to do it. You cut a section out of the fender and reattached it?
Here are pics of the WHOLE process:

I BELIEVE it took LESS than half an hour.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:27 PM

Garage
Thank you FastEddie (again)

If Miss Jaffa comes back from the shop http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...home-just.html I will do the same.

I have the T-Rex (centre handle) rear stand and it caught the reflector from time to time and broke it last week.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Thank you FastEddie (again)

If Miss Jaffa comes back from the shop http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...home-just.html I will do the same.

I have the T-Rex (centre handle) rear stand and it caught the reflector from time to time and broke it last week.
I'm sorry to hear about your reflector.

There are two different types of T-rex rear stands. One has a single handle in the middle. That one will hit the reflector. The other is called a "V" stand and it easily clears the reflector. I think that they call it a "V" stand because the handle is the shape of a "V". The link I gave above is for the "V" type stand.

I have attached three photos. The first shows the stand in position to lift the bike (it is slightly off center because the bike is still on the side stand) the second is a side view of the same position and the third is after the bike has been lifted. It is very easy to lift and very stable with no modifications to the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160717_164921.jpg (51.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160717_184529.jpg (51.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160717_184346.jpg (58.2 KB, 100 views)
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
With my harbour freight stand i always put a block of wood or brick under the kick stand to have the bike as straight up as possible. Held the bike with my left hand and use my right hand to push down on the stand to lift. Very easy and no issues....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I modified the Harbor Freight stand to make it longer. It's 2-3 inches longer now and will clear the reflector easily. I mounted the two towers further out on the handle. Since I am using 2 bolts on instead of 3, I upgraded them to grade 8 bolts, which by my rough estimates are about 10x stronger than the stock ones. I also put JB Weld over the mating surfaces.

That was probably way overkill. I could have just reused 2 of the 3 cheap bolts it came with and it would probably be fine. There's probably less than 150lbs load on each tower.

Edit - oh yea I should mention I had to drill some new holes. The 3 stock holes are not evenly spaced apart, so you can't just slide it down and reuse all the holes. I reused one set of holes, and had to drill 1 set of new holes. FYI the stock bolts are 1/4 inch diameter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-18 19.35.42.jpg (38.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-07-18 19.35.30.jpg (64.6 KB, 135 views)
turn8a, dave92029 and interactive3 like this.

Last edited by zirconx; 07-19-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode