2Likes
  • 1 Post By saddlebag
  • 1 Post By MrSchaeferPants

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New exhaust require a power comander

I have a 2015 650 LT. The bike has 300 miles on it and have a few questions I hope some one can answer.

I am upgrading the exhaust with a full system. Most likely the Two Brothers or Scorpion. I was told I do not need a power commander. True or False? If not needed would I gain anything from it?

I'm assuming changing the exhaust would void the factory warranty as well.

Short riders are people too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 AM

I've installed an Ixil full system. There's no need for a power commander, but don't expect to gain performance without it. Nor with it - this is not a high performance engine to start with. I've bought it for the sound, frankly.

I can get the exhaust to crackle and pop if I add just the right amount of throttle while the RPMs are decreasing, but normally the combustion seems fine and the dealer never mentioned any apparent problems with the mixture. There were never any issues reported by the diagnostic computer. There's no hesitation in acceleration nor weirdness during engine braking, everything seems just fine out of the box.

Your warranty should not be voided, though it might depend on local legislation. Where I live, mods like this only void the warranty if it can be proven (or, more realistically, reasonably argued) that they caused the problem. And even then, only the affected parts become excluded - they'd still have to fix brakes, suspension, electronics etc... My dealer told me not to worry and that it won't matter.

Note, other exhausts may have different characteristics, especially racetrack-only ones...

2015 Versys 650
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the midget View Post
I have a 2015 650 LT. The bike has 300 miles on it and have a few questions I hope some one can answer.

I am upgrading the exhaust with a full system. Most likely the Two Brothers or Scorpion. I was told I do not need a power commander. True or False? If not needed would I gain anything from it?

I'm assuming changing the exhaust would void the factory warranty as well.
Modern engines are a combination of weak closed loop control and open loop control. Even the open loop bit generally has some closed loopiness to it as it gets feedback from the MAP sensor.
In the closed loop, the O2 sensors feedback info and the fueling will be adjusted to some degree, keeping the bike at generally the same air-fuel ratio for minor changes like a pipe.
In open loop operation, there's still some adjustment based on MAP input, but it's more of a fixed shot of fuel for a given throttle position/rpm.
So what happens when you do things like change a pipe or air filter? It allows more air to flow thru the engine. If you have a fixed shot of fuel in the open loop mode, that means you'll have more air than stock and the engine will run leaner.
Running lean is nice in that it maximizes fuel efficiency. OTOH, it takes away power and causes the engine to run hot. Heat kills mechanical things...really all things.
Is the heat going to be enough to kill the bike in the time you own it, probably not. Might it cause you discomfort? Perhaps.
Generally, bikes are mapped richer in the open loop areas of the map, so a small change in airflow from a pipe probably isn't going to hurt much. Environmental agencies test vehicles at conditions where they run in closed loop. That's how companies get away with running richer in the open loop areas of the map.
Having said all this, it also depends on your taste of things like throttle control. Many bikes are so lean stock that they have very lurchy response and often surge at steady throttle. I personally hate a lurchy throttle and have a PC-V on my otherwise stock bike for no other reason than to fix that issue. I have the liter version. Don't know if it's lil bro suffers the same lurchiness or not.
AdventureSeeker likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just me, I like it stock.

Does the job, I know what to expect from it, nothing more, nothing less.

Going for longevity, not noise.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 04:22 AM

Hi
Fit the pipe if you want but forget the power commander. It makes no power difference. It can only adjust fueling but you will struggle to get a better map setup than the versatile stock map. Only fit the commander if you go to stage 2 mods to adjust fuel.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 07:49 AM

Garage
I had this big thing written and deleted it.

You won't gain any power. Do it for looks or sound if you wish. For any noticeable gain in power, you need exhaust, air, fuel/computer. And even then its barely so much that the $2k you spend might as well have gone to a V1000, then you would have a real power difference.

There's no replacement for displacement.
unstable_rider likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

" There's no replacement for displacement. "

There's a bumper sticker idea....

To stick on a V-8 powered bike perhaps..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
" There's no replacement for displacement. "

There's a bumper sticker idea....

To stick on a V-8 powered bike perhaps..
You rang?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

I Live about 10 miles from a dealer.... nice guys, great bikes!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If I do a pipe its more cosmetic and sound then power. The weight savings would be nice.

I am not interested in more power with a power commander. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't needed.

That said the power commander could help with throttle lag.....

Short riders are people too!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:29 PM

Changing exhaust systems on a new not broke in bike is doing something for the sake of doing something. I don't believe any of the claims of aftermarket exhaust companies until I see it on the dyno at usable street rpm's. The prices are criminal; c'mon it's bent pipe and Chinese made mufflers. If you need to do something, ride it. Annoying exhaust sounds mark you as a squid. Just my opinion after more than a half century behind bars.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Last edited by bcalan; 07-18-2016 at 12:30 PM. Reason: poor grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode