• 2 Post By AlaskaJeff
  • 1 Post By TRZ Charlie
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Special tool(s) for clip master link?

Newbie chain question: Will need to replace sprockets n chain soon. If I go with a clip master link, do I need a special tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Nope, just some patience and a little luck getting it back on without shooting it across the garage
Thaylin and Oldandslow like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 AM

Garage
Pretty much what ^ he said. I find that it's best to do it when the link is rotated to the top rear of the rear sprocket. From that position you can get the clip seated on the top pin and align it with the bottom pin of the link. From there I us a standard flat screwdriver with the blade placed on the rounded part of the clip and apply slight downward pressure and then give the scredriver a sharp blow by hitting down on it with a pair of channel lock pliers or something similar. Just takes patience and a good flashlight to find it when the damn thing careens across the garage.
unstable_rider likes this.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 AM

I'm running a master link on my 2008.I always put some silicon on the clip.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Nope, just some patience and a little luck getting it back on without shooting it across the garage
...or you can try my approach - shoot the link across the garage, waste a couple of hours searching, sheepishly contact RK (chain manufacturer) and request a replacement which they graciously send for free, finish job next weekend (much, much more carefully :P)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:57 AM

Motion pro does sell pliers that are made for master links.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
a good pair of needle nose pliers or small channel locks with a bit of offset to the jaws will make it a easier. do not pry the link open, thats how they fail
unstable_rider likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
a good pair of needle nose pliers or small channel locks with a bit of offset to the jaws will make it a easier. do not pry the link open, thats how they fail
And ALWAYS put the link on so its CLOSED end is leading.

When I started on Brit bikes the admonition was: Fish swim UPSTREAM! to remember the closed end leading.
silviefox likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
And ALWAYS put the link on so its CLOSED end is leading.

When I started on Brit bikes the admonition was: Fish swim UPSTREAM! to remember the closed end leading.
YES!!! i actually just was telling someone that yesterday that i encountered with there clip on backward

yes im a guy.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 03:54 PM

Garage
This is (kinda) what I was trying to describe above. I can never get the damn things to go on that easily.

No Video

Cheers,

Charlie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 04:39 PM

Garage
i put the clip into place like he did and where he pushed with a screw driver i use needle nose pliers and put one tooth on the end of the clip and the other on nub from the link its self and squeeze and it (normally) pops right on. i can try to make a vid if im not explaining it very well

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For a couple dollars, when you order your new chain get a SPARE master link pack at the same time, from the same manufacturer. If you are running an O ring chain-- the master link/clip assembly will include loose o rings to be hand-placed in the assembly as you put it all together.

It's nice to have the spare O rings and master link on the bike for the future, and also handy to have the spare bits if something goes flinging across your garage or driveway and you had intended to get it all back together for a ride the next day.

Insert shameless stock photo of motorcycle chain here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode