Gas tank removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gas tank removal

I started trying to get to the air filter yesterday and stopped when I wasn't sure how to remove the gas tank. It seems to be attached with a disconnect hose but I'm not sure how to remove it and don't want to do something I'll be sorry for.

Can anyone tell me how to properly remove this hose and tanK? Pictures would be great.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
See page 3-106 in service manual. Did you get the free download?
Spread out the red clip so you can slide it back, but without removing it. You can then twist and pull gas line out of the fitting. Leave the red clip slid back for when you reinstall it... Push the gas line back in, then slide the red clip back in place. You also have to pull out the gas overflow tube and diconnect two wire connectors (fuel pump and fuel gauge). There's no need to empty out the tank as directed in service manual. I've removed mine nearly full without problems. It was just a bit heavier to hold on the back of my hand while spreading that red clip out.

Last edited by invader; 08-13-2008 at 08:17 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 PM

The fastest way to remove the tank is to take a big no no a Freakin Huge Hammer and whack it till it falls off. No No dont do that I was very curious about removing it also, because I am buying the knock off K&N air filter and I want to install that at the same time I do the O2 sensor T for the throttle bodies.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Free download? Please share!

EDIT: Never mind... found the link in another thread Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
See page 3-106 in service manual. Did you get the free download?
Spread out the red clip so you can slide it back, but without removing it. You can then twist and pull gas line out of the fitting. Leave the red clip slid back for when you reinstall it... Push the gas line back in, then slide the red clip back in place. You also have to pull out the gas overflow tube and diconnect two wire connectors (fuel pump and fuel gauge). There's no need to empty out the tank as directed in service manual. I've removed mine nearly full without problems. It was just a bit heavier to hold on the back of my hand while spreading that red clip out.

Last edited by Red Herring; 08-17-2008 at 10:09 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 AM

Gas Tank Removal

If you go to page 13 of the photo gallery I have 2 pictures posted of my gas tank removed. The gas tank is simple to take off as it's only held on by one bolt in the rear. You don't have to disconnect any lines. Get a stand like I did to sit it on. Take the one bolt out and pull it backwards and it will come right out. Just be easy with it as it has wires and stuff connected to it. Just sit it on its side on the stand with everything still connected. The only hard thing is taking off the side fairings and the black plastic piece that snaps on the tank. Once you do it it's really simple. My filter was really dirty after 7,000 miles and even had a few insects on it. It cleaned up real easy though with soap and water. Good luck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:35 AM

Just a reminder if you do remove the gas line - when you reinstall it, the hose must be fully seated for the red clip to slide back down into the locked position. It's a nice little setup to easilly remove the gas line. And it double checks for you if you don't have it properly seated. Don't force the red clip back down - if it won't go, then you don't have the gas line in far enough. It should just push back down easilly.

Like Invader says, you don't need to drain the gas - but a little will come out when you remove the hose. No smoking! :P
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and I successfully removed and reinstalled the gas tank. It's a lot easier to do the throttle body hose connections with the tank off. I did have a problem getting the red clip back on because one side of the clip had come out of it's slide and it wouldn't snap back until I saw the problem and slid the leg back into the proper slot on the red connector. Then it snapped right back into place. Thanks again.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode