Installing new Shinko 705's and aux lights, or "how to be stupid." - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By AdventureSeeker
  • 2 Post By unstable_rider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Installing new Shinko 705's and aux lights, or "how to be stupid."

I was going to order Shinko 009's, but decided instead I'd do 705's, cool, cool. There was that thread the other day with people showing their 705's and I liked it so I put a ring on it. This is the thread in question.

I went ahead and ordered 150 / 70 back, 130 / 80 front, didn't think much about it because lots of people seem to do that on the V.

Anyway, I ordered the tires from bikebandit.com like last wednesday, free shipping, expecting them to take like a week. They were there THURSDAY when I got home from work. Woot.

Yanked the wheels and compared them...and oh hell...that 130 is WAY the hell bigger than the old one. Found a guy to mount new rubber for $10/wheel and brought them home, realized I'd need to raise the front fender. THAT'S a google search I wish I had known to do in advance, lol. I saw a thread where someone was talking about just using the upper hole to on the bracket for the lower hole on the fender...but that won't work because A) I'm lowered and B) I don't have a brake line or access to a brake line that will fit in this condition.

I didn't like anything I saw, so I went and bought a section of 1/2"x3/4"x4' aluminum L and brought it home. Little bit of measuring and drilling and it's attached 2x on each side, through the reflector bolt and the original fender bolt, then drilled again about an inch higher with another bolt and a lock nut. Super secure, the brake line fits over the fender but not through its bracket, so there's a cable tie there now for extra security.

I was SERIOUSLY intimidated by the shoulder on the new tires. BIG change.

So then I installed my aux lights, maybe I should always drink bloody mary's in 95 degree heat because the went together AWESOMELY and EASILY, horray Chinese lights.

Went for my scuff ride and determined quickly that I should NOT drink Bloody Mary's in 95 degree heat while doing bike maintenance because there was an ugly clunk in the front end, I thought maybe it was the fender hitting the wheel, but if anything it has MORE clearance now...so I went home. (No I wasn't even close to drunk, I spilled the stupid bloody mary on my boat.)

Turns out I had forgotten to torque down the caliper bolts...what an idiot. Fixed that and all is well. The bike feels completely different now, cornering is like heavy, that's the only way I can think to describe it. I like it, managed to get about 30 miles in and will do more tomorrow. They're certainly a lot more grippy, did some gravel for fun and was very impressed.

unstable_rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Wow those lights look good, can you post some more pictures of them and how you mounted them?

That tire looks like it will handle gravel really well!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 AM

yeah the 130's are a heavy tire combined with the profile make for heavy steering input. it takes more conscious effort to turn in but once you are used to it its no big deal. I like that it helps stabilize the front end against road unevenness and against cross winds. however if I do the shinko up front again i'll use the new 120 instead of the 130.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
Wow those lights look good, can you post some more pictures of them and how you mounted them?

That tire looks like it will handle gravel really well!
Thanks dude. I will do that when I have a chance. In the interim, here are the lights. They're a little underwhelming up close but they throw a LOT of light far away.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
yeah the 130's are a heavy tire combined with the profile make for heavy steering input. it takes more conscious effort to turn in but once you are used to it its no big deal. I like that it helps stabilize the front end against road unevenness and against cross winds. however if I do the shinko up front again i'll use the new 120 instead of the 130.
FWIW - I run the 130/80 front in AZ as I've already raised the fender, but run the 120/70 here in BC because I haven't.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 02:57 PM

Garage
I have the 120/90 on the front of mine instead of the 130/80 but feel very similarly about the front end feel on the road. It is a bit difficult to really feel much feedback from the tire and quiet heavy steering.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I was going to order Shinko 009's, but decided instead I'd do 705's, cool, cool. There was that thread the other day with people showing their 705's and I liked it so I put a ring on it. This is the thread in question.

I went ahead and ordered 150 / 70 back, 130 / 80 front, didn't think much about it because lots of people seem to do that on the V.

Anyway, I ordered the tires from bikebandit.com like last wednesday, free shipping, expecting them to take like a week. They were there THURSDAY when I got home from work. Woot.

Yanked the wheels and compared them...and oh hell...that 130 is WAY the hell bigger than the old one. Found a guy to mount new rubber for $10/wheel and brought them home, realized I'd need to raise the front fender. THAT'S a google search I wish I had known to do in advance, lol. I saw a thread where someone was talking about just using the upper hole to on the bracket for the lower hole on the fender...but that won't work because A) I'm lowered and B) I don't have a brake line or access to a brake line that will fit in this condition.

I didn't like anything I saw, so I went and bought a section of 1/2"x3/4"x4' aluminum L and brought it home. Little bit of measuring and drilling and it's attached 2x on each side, through the reflector bolt and the original fender bolt, then drilled again about an inch higher with another bolt and a lock nut. Super secure, the brake line fits over the fender but not through its bracket, so there's a cable tie there now for extra security.

I was SERIOUSLY intimidated by the shoulder on the new tires. BIG change.

So then I installed my aux lights, maybe I should always drink bloody mary's in 95 degree heat because the went together AWESOMELY and EASILY, horray Chinese lights.

Went for my scuff ride and determined quickly that I should NOT drink Bloody Mary's in 95 degree heat while doing bike maintenance because there was an ugly clunk in the front end, I thought maybe it was the fender hitting the wheel, but if anything it has MORE clearance now...so I went home. (No I wasn't even close to drunk, I spilled the stupid bloody mary on my boat.)

Turns out I had forgotten to torque down the caliper bolts...what an idiot. Fixed that and all is well. The bike feels completely different now, cornering is like heavy, that's the only way I can think to describe it. I like it, managed to get about 30 miles in and will do more tomorrow. They're certainly a lot more grippy, did some gravel for fun and was very impressed.

Wondering if you have or can get some photos of the fender re-installation/raising?

Cheers,

Charlie

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
Wondering if you have or can get some photos of the fender re-installation/raising?
Oh...uh...I'll do my best? I don't want to take it back off but I can show you the aluminum piece and what it looks like up close. Really not much engineering involved---just used a hacksaw and a drill and a sharpie.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 AM

^^^
Nice, measure with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, cut it with a chainsaw...

BTW - really like the way that tire looks on the bike...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
Oh...uh...I'll do my best? I don't want to take it back off but I can show you the aluminum piece and what it looks like up close. Really not much engineering involved---just used a hacksaw and a drill and a sharpie.
Just some peeks at the actual installation if you can. No need to take things apart.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

No problem gents. I don't have her with me today, but I'll take them when I do!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

I have been running one on my 2008 for about a year. I love the way it handles, blacktop and gravel. Everyone that see's them assumes it would make the bike ride like a chuck-wagon, or steer "heavy", etc.

I like it just fine, and have made no observation of "heavy" dodgy, vagueness, nothing-- just seems like a great set-up. And it's apparent it is going to last a very long time, mine has about 6,500 miles on the front.

Still a hoot to ride in the twisties, I don't feel like I gave up anything, and the stability gains in sandy or gravel areas has been remarkable. It's like a snowshoe in front.

If you can raise the fender the equivalent of one set of holes, you will be in good shape. A fender-extender is just about mandatory, and works out real well in any regard.

AdventureSeeker and 1968Jeepr like this.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-07-2016 at 12:13 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Fast imgur album, this doesn't really show much. I need to find the rest of the angle stock so I can show that. unstable_rider's build is far more classy than mine.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

You are too kind sir.

Closer forensic investigation yields that I took two thin pieces of aluminum flat-stock,
as I was too lazy to go to the hardware store that day a year or so ago to get proper aluminum stock. I used what I had laying around... initially a thinner bit of stock, and felt it was too flimsy. I doubled it up, it's two aluminum flats stacked together. Cripes, they are not even the same thickness as each other!

Totally cheeseball. But it's solid!~

You can make them with a drill, a pencil, a file and or some sandpaper. Basically they look like two large pop sickle sticks side by side.
It would have been better accomplished with one thicker bit of stock, but again- I used what I had.

I shot them with the same paint I used on the engine when I had it out, to tie it into a theme of sorts. Yeah, everyone knows that paint doesn't like to stick to aluminum, yet here we are a year later, and the paint and clear coat held up fine.

Glad to walk anyone through this if you don't follow what I did, or I can shoot some better pics.

Thanks for the likes/compliments!

~ paul

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-07-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode