Mounting Aux Driving Lights - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Mounting Aux Driving Lights

Going to be mounting my aux driving LED spot lights later on this weekend. As I see it I can wire these to:

1) high beam
2) low beam
3) separate switch on dash

Which method of switching would you recommend?

I intend to skip using a relay because I'm lazy and cheap and they will not draw much in the way of power. (< 1A ) They would be on an existing fused circuit. Any downside to this?

Last edited by twowheels; 06-24-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i did mine with a bar mount dash
as well as have them wired to switched power so they cant be left on

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you plan to use the new lights as daytime running lights only, then having them switched on/of with your low beams is fine. However after doing this several different ways over the years I prefer to be able to turn them on/off independent from the stock lighting.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Garage
Are those the only electrical accessories you will ever add to your bike?

If not, go with a relayed fuse block to run your accessories.

What I like to do is use a relay with a switch, and trigger the relay off the light circuit so it is not energized until the bikes running, and shuts off when the bike is off. I only have the switch there in case I want to shut off the fog lights while the bike is running.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I tapped from a circuit that is fused and hot only when the key is on/bike running for my aux. DRL's.

Then I used this aux. switch-- have used this same switch on several bikes for running stuff, they are ten bucks and work well.

Also the correct size for our handlebars.

From Rocky Mtn ATV:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ch?term=switch

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
I tapped from a circuit that is fused and hot only when the key is on/bike running for my aux. DRL's.

Then I used this aux. switch-- have used this same switch on several bikes for running stuff, they are ten bucks and work well.

From Rocky Mtn ATV:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ch?term=switch

i got the same switch off ebay for about $3 with free shipping

yes im a guy.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

"Link" or it didn't happen!

( I once was encountered by 12 cheerleaders rappelling from a helicopter naked).

And then I woke up.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:

How about a picture of that switch mounted on your bike? I've seen those switches before but wasn't sure how they would look.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
"Link" or it didn't happen!

( I once was encountered by 12 cheerleaders rappelling from a helicopter naked).

And then I woke up.
ok sorry my bad it was 2 for $3
Motorcycle ATV Bike Handlebar Kill Stop Switch on Off Button Connector Uf | eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
How about a picture of that switch mounted on your bike? I've seen those switches before but wasn't sure how they would look.
pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160625_135931.jpg (53.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20160625_135921.jpg (62.8 KB, 95 views)

yes im a guy.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
How many weeks did you have to wait for shipment arrive?

China direct marketing to us cuts out even more US jobs.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
How many weeks did you have to wait for shipment arrive?

China direct marketing to us cuts out even more US jobs.
i think like two weeks? i honestly try not to pay attention and its more like a gift =p

and it all comes from china how does paying someone else to order it then resell it to you make a US job? (plus of the 3 shops i went to none had one on hand and wanted big mark up to order it for me)

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for posting the pictures, that actually doesn't look bad. I think I have one of these laying around from a previous project.
silviefox likes this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
i think like two weeks? i honestly try not to pay attention and its more like a gift =p

and it all comes from china how does paying someone else to order it then resell it to you make a US job? (plus of the 3 shops i went to none had one on hand and wanted big mark up to order it for me)
I don't know. How does paying someone else in the US to order and resell make a US job?

Mmm.

Since you don't work, I guess it doesn't matter to you until there is no one left to pay taxes to pay you.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't know. How does paying someone else in the US to order and resell make a US job?

Mmm.

Since you don't work, I guess it doesn't matter to you until there is no one left to pay taxes to pay you.
noones taxes pay me...... and i DO work, i dont have a job.(in the 9-5 seance)...

yes im a guy.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Mmm.

If someone is only earning minimum wage doing a job like that they are not earning enough to pay taxes or support the economy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 08:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If someone is only earning minimum wage doing a job like that they are not earning enough to pay taxes or support the economy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
OK. Let's get this moved to the off topic area.

The person in that minimum wage job is gaining work experience to help them prepare for a position with more responsibility and higher pay. Without those minimum wage jobs, they can't show they can work hard an are smart enough to move up.

No minimum wage job is meant to be a career.

People want to increase the minimum wage, but if we can order direct from China, there will be no retail jobs to increase the minimum wage. Retail jobs are about all that is left for those who don't go for further education after high school.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Going to be mounting my aux driving LED spot lights later on this weekend. As I see it I can wire these to:

1) high beam
2) low beam
3) separate switch on dash

Which method of switching would you recommend?

I intend to skip using a relay because I'm lazy and cheap and they will not draw much in the way of power. (< 1A ) They would be on an existing fused circuit. Any downside to this?
Find my thread where I show the install of my 12V adapter. Use the female portion of the relay block to get easy access to SWITCHED and FUSED power without needing the relay. I just installed aux lights this weekend as well, and tapped into my tap to do it. Easy peasy.

Or, well, ground to ground, hot from output to switch to lights, switch on the bar. Soldered mine and shrink wrapped them for security.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need help

HELP !
I have lights that are designed to clamp to a bar but an SW-Motech mount that is a horizontal plate with a single hole for a bolt. How do I attach my lights? What I would like is a hinge mechanism that I could purchase for this.

These are the lights I have.
2X 125W Motorcycle CREE U5 LED Driving Headlight Fog Lamp Spot Light for BMW | eBay

What I need is to convert them to mount like these lights
DENALI DM Micro LED Light Pod & M8 Mount | Single Pod - TwistedThrottle.ca

The mounts look like this
SW-Motech Auxiliary Light Mount for Kawasaki Versys 650 '10-'14 - TwistedThrottle.ca
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
HELP !
I have lights that are designed to clamp to a bar but an SW-Motech mount that is a horizontal plate with a single hole for a bolt. How do I attach my lights? What I would like is a hinge mechanism that I could purchase for this.

These are the lights I have.
2X 125W Motorcycle CREE U5 LED Driving Headlight Fog Lamp Spot Light for BMW | eBay

What I need is to convert them to mount like these lights
DENALI DM Micro LED Light Pod & M8 Mount | Single Pod - TwistedThrottle.ca

The mounts look like this
SW-Motech Auxiliary Light Mount for Kawasaki Versys 650 '10-'14 - TwistedThrottle.ca
it looks like the bar mount mart comes off if you remove the two bolts

yes im a guy.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:27 AM

Garage
I would consider the following:

Drill a second hole in the SW Motech mount, and don't use the bottom part of the clamp mount.

Remove the clamp mount, and figure out another way to mount the lights.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode