• 1 Post By unstable_rider
  • 2 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Reports on after-market starter relays?

Hello all,

I read where some riders have had some starter relay problems at one time, perhaps a year or so back. Some Versys owners were using after-market starter relays as part of the fix.

Can anyone comment now, perhaps as much as a year later, how an after-market starter relay worked out for them?

I found these ones readily avail. for about ten bucks. The seller seems to have good feedback.

Anyone been running one of these awhile with good success?

I have been getting the random "click-click-click" with the bike starting sometimes as late as the 6th press of the start button.

Battery is a brand New Deka glass mat. It occurs to me I have a sh_t-load of terminal rings on it though.... Hmmmm.

I will check starter cables and ground cables, indeed I will. Just thinking forward, that I might end up wishing I had a new relay in-hand some day soon here, rather than have a ride or trip interrupted, or might carry one on-board to counter-act my Karma.

Thanks,

Paul

Starter Relay Solenoid for Kawasaki Versys 650 KLE650 2007 2008 2009 2010 | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 09:55 PM

Garage
I put one of these on a friends bike one time, he had no problems. He owned the bike for another 2 years or so before he sold it.

I bought it at a local motorcycle shop for around $15.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks Zirc!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Start Relay or Start Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Hello all,

I read where some riders have had some starter relay problems at one time, perhaps a year or so back. Some Versys owners were using after-market starter relays as part of the fix.

Can anyone comment now, perhaps as much as a year later, how an after-market starter relay worked out for them?

I found these ones readily avail. for about ten bucks. The seller seems to have good feedback.

Anyone been running one of these awhile with good success?

I have been getting the random "click-click-click" with the bike starting sometimes as late as the 6th press of the start button.

Battery is a brand New Deka glass mat. It occurs to me I have a sh_t-load of terminal rings on it though.... Hmmmm.

I will check starter cables and ground cables, indeed I will. Just thinking forward, that I might end up wishing I had a new relay in-hand some day soon here, rather than have a ride or trip interrupted, or might carry one on-board to counter-act my Karma.

Thanks,

Paul

Starter Relay Solenoid for Kawasaki Versys 650 KLE650 2007 2008 2009 2010 | eBay
First thing I would do is check the connection at the solenoid / main fuse, could be a loose connection, engine ground is a remote possibility , but symptoms would be different. fairly simple to trouble shoot if you have a meter or even a piece of wire. With a wire take the brown / black wire off the horn, let that hang in the air, take your jumper wire and wrap a couple turns around the horn terminal and the other end around either at the start solenoid wire going to the starter or at the terminal at the starter. You will need to hold the horn button in while pushing the start button. If the horn sounds but the starter doesn't turn , you have either a starter or starter connection problem. #2 ,if no horn sounding, connect to the yellow with red tracer wire at the start solenoid ( this is the relay feed to energize the solenoid) do same procedure of testing, horn button held in while pressing start button, if no sounding of horn, you have a start relay problem, if horn does sound but starter doesn't turn, you have a start solenoid problem
quexpress likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks OneWizard!

I will have a go at that. Tracking on the part says it's in my city, I am thinking I might have the new one in hand tomorrow afternoon to try out as well. Cables all tight, checked today.

More later, thanks again.

Paul
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

06/21/2016********** UPDATE:

Ok, I will confess I had a strong idea that my stock starter solenoid was going out and I ordered a new one from ebay almost right away.

While I was waiting for shipment, which did not take long- I did go through the routine of checking for loose connections, etc., and found none. The bike had been totally apart 6,500 or some odd miles back down to the bones, and I pretty well knew my connections were good, and either packed in dielectric grease, or locked down with the blue stuff.

The ebay starter solenoid arrived today.

I had pulled the stock one out last night, and the bike was waiting patiently for the new one for the sake of, "I bet this takes care of the problem".

The new one from ebay is admitted in the listing as being China-sourced. That being said, who knows-- mother Kawi could have sourced our stock ones from China for that matter.

A quick inspection yielded a unit made at least as good as mother Kawi's solenoid, if not a perfect clone (or they both came from a similar source 8 years apart from each other).

The new one from ebay even came with a fuse already in place, and new Allen bolts.

Below, I compared the two side by side (images with the light blue background). The new one was a perfect fit. Like my old one, I set my harness connections in some dielectric grease, as well as a thin smidge on the other contacts.

Once installed, I re-connected my battery and hit the key. One light tap on the starter button and she was smiling (uhh, running..).

I buttoned her all back up in plastics, couple more test-start-runs for confidence and I am calling this a success.

To reiterate, my 2008 Kawasaki Versys was slowly over the course of a couple weeks starting to give me some "click-click-clicks" when you would attempt to engage the starter button. It would eventually "go"-- but last week it got out to about 6 click attempts before it was starting, and I knew it wasn't the battery, and likely not much of the other things I checked routinely anyway.

I forget the exact price of one direct from Kawi parts sources, but I think it was upward of a hundred bucks.

I will update this every so often to state how it's working.

Oh yeah, my stock 2008 solenoid failed or was coughing out the stated symptoms here at about 22,000 miles on her.

That's all, ride safe.

Couple pics to show where to find this thing on your first gen Versys, more or less how it's connected, the panel it lives behind, and how it compares to the stock unit.

onewizard likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Signs of contact failure / heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
06/21/2016********** UPDATE:

Ok, I will confess I had a strong idea that my stock starter solenoid was going out and I ordered a new one from ebay almost right away.

While I was waiting for shipment, which did not take long- I did go through the routine of checking for loose connections, etc., and found none. The bike had been totally apart 6,500 or some odd miles back down to the bones, and I pretty well knew my connections were good, and either packed in dielectric grease, or locked down with the blue stuff.

The ebay starter solenoid arrived today.

I had pulled the stock one out last night, and the bike was waiting patiently for the new one for the sake of, "I bet this takes care of the problem".

The new one from ebay is admitted in the listing as being China-sourced. That being said, who knows-- mother Kawi could have sourced our stock ones from China for that matter.

A quick inspection yielded a unit made at least as good as mother Kawi's solenoid, if not a perfect clone (or they both came from a similar source 8 years apart from each other).

The new one from ebay even came with a fuse already in place, and new Allen bolts.

Below, I compared the two side by side (images with the light blue background). The new one was a perfect fit. Like my old one, I set my harness connections in some dielectric grease, as well as a thin smidge on the other contacts.

Once installed, I re-connected my battery and hit the key. One light tap on the starter button and she was smiling (uhh, running..).

I buttoned her all back up in plastics, couple more test-start-runs for confidence and I am calling this a success.

To reiterate, my 2008 Kawasaki Versys was slowly over the course of a couple weeks starting to give me some "click-click-clicks" when you would attempt to engage the starter button. It would eventually "go"-- but last week it got out to about 6 click attempts before it was starting, and I knew it wasn't the battery, and likely not much of the other things I checked routinely anyway.

I forget the exact price of one direct from Kawi parts sources, but I think it was upward of a hundred bucks.

I will update this every so often to state how it's working.

Oh yeah, my stock 2008 solenoid failed or was coughing out the stated symptoms here at about 22,000 miles on her.

That's all, ride safe.

Couple pics to show where to find this thing on your first gen Versys, more or less how it's connected, the panel it lives behind, and how it compares to the stock unit.

Looking at the original relay, left terminal, the orange brown colour is signs of heat damage / bad / arcing contact.

Thanks for posting, at one time I would tell people they are buying junk from China, now it is hard to dispute since the manufacturers are doing the same. Glad that worked out, too bad this forum decided against "having a how to",as this could have been useful to help others ( I am assuming that since my suggestion was over a month ago and nada)
unstable_rider and quexpress like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode