• 1 Post By IAMRA
  • 1 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Excessive front end dive / compression

Hi

I have just read Gustavo's great piece at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ion-setup.html.

I have always thought that my front end compressed a lot on braking, but when I swapped with another V owner I could really feel the difference.

What do I adjust to fix that? Preload, dampening, rebound or everything?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:43 PM

Start with preload. Set the sag to 1/4th - 1/3rd of suspension travel
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:58 PM

You better go back and re-read and get a better understanding of each terms meaning. First thing is to set your preload to get the proper sag/ride height. Then the comp/rebound dampening action. Sound like you have to much sag/low ride height. More preload on the springs will raise ride height and control the dive you're experiencing earlier. Again from there you adjust comp/rebound-how fast or slow the shock/forks compress and rebound. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Versatile Versys

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Try no more than 3 turns out from maximum spring preload (clockwise) on both forks, with about 1/4 turn counterclockwise out from fully closed on rebound damping screw.

Last edited by invader; 06-12-2016 at 10:34 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everybody

I will try these tonight and report back

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:35 PM

Question

You appear to be as big as your Versys... Just how much do you weigh, bigaussie?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You appear to be as big as your Versys... Just how much do you weigh, bigaussie?
242 lbs naked, so guessing 250 - 260 full ATTGATT - Hence my name of BigAussie (I am an Australian living in Canada)

I will be running full bags and a waterproof bag across the seat all the way from BC to Alaska in 10 days time

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Fork Oil: The great neglected fluid

If you have never changed the fork oil on your 2007, and another V feels very different, I strongly suspect this is your problem. You have surely lost some oil over the years, and what is left probably resembles sludge. Too large an air gap will cause front end dive while braking. Change your fork oil to specs, and test. To reduce front end dive more, just add more oil to further reduce the air gap. You could also try a heavier weight oil. If you do not want to remove the forks, it is possible to just open the fork caps, suck out the old oil, and replace with fresh oil. You won't be able to get it as clean, but it should make a huge difference.
bigaussie likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 01:38 AM

Absolutely... I've replaced my fork fluid a few times already... I really like my 50/50 mix of 10W and 15W Maxima Racing fork fluid. You could try straight 15W. You can do both forks with 1 liter.

I took out the springs to clean them and the inner tubes as well... Fork oil level is checked with fork compressed and spring removed. It would still be possible to drain them out after removing forks from bike and just removing fork caps.

Racing Fork Fluid - Maxima Racing Oils
bigaussie likes this.

Last edited by invader; 06-13-2016 at 01:45 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks again.

I have a major service booked for Tuesday and will add it to the list.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for your ideas.

My mechanic took it for a ride and reported I had NO (or minimal) preload.

He had to wrench both legs for ever and then backed them off 1/2 turn. This gave me 38 mm / 25% preload.

Feels much better under braking.

I will test it again fully loaded before I take off.

Cheers

Alan

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:36 PM

OMG, bigaussie! You've been riding around like that all this time and never thought of adjusting your fork preload? It's so easy with a ratchet.

Change out that fork oil in both legs asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
front end, handling, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode