Won't rev above 1500rpm - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Won't rev above 1500rpm

So I need some help (and a little encouragement). I had a bad fuel pump. I ordered in a new pump motor and installed it yesterday. Buttoned everything up and went for a ride (25mi). Stopped by the filling station, filled it up and came home. This morning started it up, got my gear on, hopped on and it died. Started again and twisted the throttle and it won't run higher than about 1300 to 1500rpm.

Things I know...
- When I took it apart I drained the gas into an old crummy gas can because it's all I had. I didn't want to use that gas again when putting gas back in the V so I used a gallon of the lawnmower gas, which is good fresh gas just 89 octane. Normally the V gets 93 octane.
- I didn't replace the Fuel pump filter screen. It only comes when you buy the entire pump assy ($300). I only replaced the pump motor (hpf-397 from high flow fuel systems, $70)
- I've checked the codes. Everything is clear.
- Everything went fine with the repair. While it was apart I did the vacuum mod and replaced the spark plugs. The test ride was great, nice smooth power up to red line. I only put about 1gal in so I could check the low fuel indicator. It worked so I filled it up with 93 octane.

I guess I will think about it make sure something doesn't come to mind then I'll tear it back apart. It sounds like fuel is the issue. If anyone has some insight, please let me know.

Thanks again, I really appreciate this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
check that the fuel line isnt kinked

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Since it happened after filling up, I also wonder about your vacuum hose mod arrangement.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Totally guessing here, but....
...any chance the filter screen or fuel filter got clogged? Stuff took a while to work its way loose and clog the lines, hence why it could have worked for a few miles, then clogged?

Or (and it would have to be a complete coincidence) - the gas cap vent somehow got clogged - pop it open and try again - cheap/quick experiment.

Best of luck!
Rob in KC
'14 Versys 650
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the responses. After I calmed down I decided it was safe to start looking into it. Venting is good, no kinks. Just wasn't getting fuel, or enough fuel.

Drained the tank and pulled the pump. Outside using my utility trailer for a ventilated work bench I started some pump tests. Got a plastic container just big enough to submerge the pump. Filled it with gas and used rubber tubing on the pump outlet so I could see the fuel moving. Applied 12v. Just a dribble was pumping. I took the pump apart and lightly blew air thru the pick up screen and pressure regulator, no noticeable restrictions. So with the pump motor back out, I put the rubber tubing directly on the pump outlet. Dropped the naked motor in the container of gas and applied 12v. Same result.

So....
I will call the place where I got the pump and see what they say. Has lifetime warranty.

Questions...
Did I receive a faulty pump?
Is there a problem in the system that caused the first pump to fail and damaged the second after 45min of operation?

Keep in mind that when the problem originally started there were no symptoms. I ride every day. Rode home then 4 hours later it wouldn't start. New pump, starts right up.

The original pump is dead. 12v direct, nothing.

Anyway, if you all think of something, lmk.

Ed
bigaussie likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
It sounds like your bike is killing pumps. Inspect your electrical system. Use voltmeter and take readings of the battery with key off and key on, Also take reading of the harness wires powering the pump, with the key on. Unfortunately, you are not able to take a reading with the engine running, and this is really what you want to know. You could have a faulty regulator that is frying the fuel pumps. If you can get a replacement pump, install on bike and power it from a separate battery. Now you will be able to take a volt reading of the harness.
onewizard likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 AM

As good as the warranty may seem, it's likely a cheap Chinese pump that could only run for a few miles... You may as well try a warranty replacement pump as it's obviously not working as it should.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Question& Possible Answer

It is early morning and I need to leave, however , this pump doesn't run all the time, it is to build up fuel pressure, then shut off, what controls the turning off? My thought is a faulty pressure switch if that is what it is. A pressure pump is lower volume and high pressure, restricting the flow causes a increase in pressure and increase in load, which could either damage the shaft mounted impeller or burn out the motor. Since I don't know what controls it, just throwing it out there for thought.If no one responds I will look it up tonight on the electrical drawing.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i just did some study of the wiring diagram. I don't see any kind of pressure switch in the system. Unless the ECU takes info from different components (i.e. throttle sensor, intake air pressure, injectors etc.) and calculates and adjusts voltage somehow. But I don't think this is the case. The W/R wire that powers the fuel pump also powers the injectors. And the ground Bk/Y is straight to ground. I know that when the key is turned on the fuel relay/pump is powered for 3 seconds then turns off. It is my BELIEF that once the ECU is satisfied that the engine is running, then it closes the fuel pump relay and the pump runs continuously.

Now there is a pressure regulator on the fuel pump but it is passive. No wires.

I talked to High Flow Fuel today, where I got the pump motor. They said that the pump was rated for continuous operation. They also said that there is a chance, <1%, that the pump I received could be faulty. They are going to bench test a new one and send it out today. I should receive it Wednesday.

I will keep inspecting things as they come to mind and let everyone know if I find anything.

Ed
onewizard likes this.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitramde View Post
i just did some study of the wiring diagram. I don't see any kind of pressure switch in the system. Unless the ECU takes info from different components (i.e. throttle sensor, intake air pressure, injectors etc.) and calculates and adjusts voltage somehow. But I don't think this is the case. The W/R wire that powers the fuel pump also powers the injectors. And the ground Bk/Y is straight to ground. I know that when the key is turned on the fuel relay/pump is powered for 3 seconds then turns off. It is my BELIEF that once the ECU is satisfied that the engine is running, then it closes the fuel pump relay and the pump runs continuously.

Now there is a pressure regulator on the fuel pump but it is passive. No wires.

I talked to High Flow Fuel today, where I got the pump motor. They said that the pump was rated for continuous operation. They also said that there is a chance, <1%, that the pump I received could be faulty. They are going to bench test a new one and send it out today. I should receive it Wednesday.

I will keep inspecting things as they come to mind and let everyone know if I find anything.

Ed
Your posting and information is excellent and should help others.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:04 PM

Yes, fuel pump starts when you hit the starter switch, and it operates continuously as long as the engine runs.
onewizard likes this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update...

I got a replacement pump motor installed. To make a long story short, I believe the problem is just simply a clogged pick up screen. I blew everything out and put it back together. Now the bike runs but won't rev above 7000 to 7500 rpm. And you can hear the pump high pitch whine like its working hard.

So after all that faffing around trying to save a buck, I ordered the pump assy ($218 from Partzilla). Just received an email last night, the pump is on back order. Hopefully by mid next week things will turn around.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 AM

Garage
Blocked tank cap maybe.. you can check by running engine by keeping tank cap open and see if runs normal.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll try the cap tonight. It does seems like every time I open the tank there's a little pressure released.

I've only had the V since May (3 fill ups) so not sure what is normal. What should I look for to check the breather? There's the two rubber hoses coming off the tank, I know the one is overflow because when I missed a little my foot got doused. Is the other the breather?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I'll try the cap tonight. It does seems like every time I open the tank there's a little pressure released.

I've only had the V since May (3 fill ups) so not sure what is normal. What should I look for to check the breather? There's the two rubber hoses coming off the tank, I know the one is overflow because when I missed a little my foot got doused. Is the other the breather?
There is an overflow/rainwater drain hose. Fuel tank breathes and exhales via the fuel cap's integrated valve. It is heard whistling intermittently when parked as fumes are released... It should work well with a real OEM fuel pump.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Partzilla / Kawasaki

Quote:
Just an update...

I got a replacement pump motor installed. To make a long story short, I believe the problem is just simply a clogged pick up screen. I blew everything out and put it back together. Now the bike runs but won't rev above 7000 to 7500 rpm. And you can hear the pump high pitch whine like its working hard.

So after all that faffing around trying to save a buck, I ordered the pump assy ($218 from Partzilla). Just received an email last night, the pump is on back order. Hopefully by mid next week things will turn around.
Well I hope you have better luck than I did, my order was small , but two days after the order was placed, I got a email that there would be a delay due to some parts not being in stock, yet when ordered online they showed " in stock". In reality, non of the parts were in stock, it took almost 30 days to get my parts, 5 days to get them from Kawasaki , 7 days to wait for UPS to pick up and drop off at US Postal, 10 days to travel from the US to Canada and clear customs, 3 days to go through sorting and actually be delivered, add 3 weekends when nothing happens. I saved nothing as Kawasaki price was almost identical and I payed extra to ship. Would I order from Partzilla again???*****NO
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:09 PM

$249.21, in stock, ships tomorrow from California: 49040-0026 Kawasaki Pump - Fuel.

$236.15 from Texas: http://www.cyclepartsoutlet.com/fich...ber=49040-0026

Last edited by invader; 06-21-2016 at 10:37 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys for the info. My part is supposed to ship Thursday. If it doesn't I'll pitch a huge fit and give them what for, then I'll call them and weigh my options, possibly reorder from one of those vendors.

@maxversys I rode with the cap open, got the same results. Still wondering why there is pressure in the tank though. The service manual says not to blow air through the cap because it might damage the 'labrynth' of the vent. Labyrinth?? Curiosity peaked! So I took the cap all apart, carefully, and it is a labyrinth. But everything looked good, as far as I know. No dirt, clogs or other obstructions. I wiped everything down and put it back together. We'll see if that did anything in the future.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh yeah, forgot to mention...

I checked the drain and vent hoses... They all clear.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 01:31 AM

Pressure always builds up in the fuel tank from emitted gasoline vapors, which is normal. Fuel cap vent valve releases some pressure whenever it reaches a certain level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode