2016 650 LT Oil capacity - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2016 650 LT Oil capacity

Funny thing, just did the 600 mile service, and per the manual, added 1.9 quarts of oil. After everything else was buttoned up, started the motor to circulate the oil into the motor/filter and long story short, the oil was not nearly enough. I ended up adding about another 0.5 quart of oil for a total 2.4.

No leaks, just in case anyone is wondering. I have to believe the site glass since it was half way between the lines when I bought it. So, what gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 AM

Garage
My 15' takes just a bit over 2 quarts with the filter change. Like just an ounce or so. Luckily for the first change i purchased the 3 quarts...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Okay, just curious because I've not had a manual be off like that. This is also the reason I prefer the site glass as opposed to a dip stick.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
2015 must be perfectly balanced left to right, and front to back, to get accurate reading. When I have the bike on stands, the rear wheel is a couple of inches higher than the front, and sight glass shows below low level mark. With the bike off the stands, and perfectly level, sight glass shows top mark. Like cuckoo, I use just a little over 2 quarts at oil change. I suspect you have added too much oil. When I do an oil change, I use a level on the handlebars to ensure an accurate reading. Small variations have a large effect on readings. Too much oil is bad for the bike.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:27 PM

Garage
I put in two quarts and it's perfect. I really don't think 0.1 quarts is going to matter either way.....unless you are totally anal and stuff like that drives you crazy. I've known some that will suck back out 50cc just to make it perfect. Luckily for me, I can sleep at night just fine knowing my oil might be off by a tenth of a quart.

Buying two quarts and pouring it in is sooooooo much easier than buying three quarts and trying to add a tenth.

Ride more, worry less.
Mike
turn8a, kballowe and MLJ like this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:47 PM

After draining it properly, it takes 2.25 US quarts to have it just below the full line.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
2015 must be perfectly balanced left to right, and front to back
Yes, you're absolutely right, that's why I prefer the site glass. I make note of the level before and after on the rear stand so I can then use that as a reference.

Having said that, you must have a higher stand than mine. With my bike up on a Pit Bull rear stand the level differences are not as significant as yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
After draining it properly, it takes 2.25 US quarts to have it just below the full line.
Yeah, I'm going to make a note of that, 2.25 qts sounds closer to what I most likely added. When 2 full quarts didn't do it, I had and already open quart of the same oil so I added oil until it was correct.

Thanks for all the responses!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:11 PM

If you put in 2.4 quarts, your oil level may be slightly above full mark with bike held balanced vertically on a level surface, after it ran then cooled down completely.

Oil capacity was reduced for 2015+ Versys 650 by 0.2 quart due to a lower profile oil pan. Yours should actually be sufficiently full with 2.05 quarts, instead of 2.25 quarts for 2007-2014 Versys 650.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Having said that, you must have a higher stand than mine. With my bike up on a Pit Bull rear stand the level differences are not as significant as yours.
Yes. I am using the Pit Bull rear stand with forward handle, which raises rear wheel higher because of the cross beam between the stand wheels. I assume you have the rear handle model.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you put in 2.4 quarts, your oil level may be slightly above full mark with bike held balanced vertically on a level surface, after it ran then cooled down completely.

Oil capacity was reduced for 2015+ Versys 650 by 0.2 quart due to a lower profile oil pan. Yours should actually be sufficiently full with 2.05 quarts, instead of 2.25 quarts for 2007-2014 Versys 650.
Hmmm, no, my oil level is below the top mark, at about 3/4 up in between the low/high marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
Yes. I am using the Pit Bull rear stand with forward handle, which raises rear wheel higher because of the cross beam between the stand wheels. I assume you have the rear handle model.
Oh nice, I like those. Yes, I have the rear handle and it can sometimes get in the way.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 AM

Garage
When I change my oil I will add 2.4 quarts of 10W40 oil, like the Owner Manual says.

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmorjoe View Post
When I change my oil I will add 2.4 quarts of 10W40 oil, like the Owner Manual says.
If you have a 2015/2016, the owners manual states it needs 1.9 quarts when the oil filter is changed. The 2.4 quarts is for a dry motor, meaning when filling a newly reassembled motor.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 AM

When I switched to a "longer version" of the Purolator oil filter that I use, did notice it took more oil to get it near the full line, due to the added volume of the filter can.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
When I switched to a "longer version" of the Purolator oil filter that I use, did notice it took more oil to get it near the full line, due to the added volume of the filter can.
Excellent point, I didn't think of that since I changed to a K&N. I'll have to check to see if it's longer than stock.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:43 PM

Were both quart bottles full? Are you holding your bike balanced upright, or is it on a rear stand with the rear end raised up higher than the front?
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmorjoe View Post
No. Do not overfill. Start with 2 quarts, then check level and add to measure.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Were both quart bottles full? Are you holding your bike balanced upright, or is it on a rear stand with the rear end raised up higher than the front?
Yes, the two first quart bottles were new, unopened.

I always work on my bikes with either a center stand or on a rear stand, I store them in my garage that way too. My garage floor is level, so what I do is, have someone hold the rear stand on the swing arm spools to hold the bike level without actually lifting the rear wheel off the ground and take note of the oil level. I then put the bike up on the rear stand and see how the oil level changes with the rear higher than the front. That difference I use as a reference when refilling my oil and that way the level is correct when off the stand.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 02:45 AM

i was about to ask the same question.

my mechanic says that i should put in more oil even after we have already put in 2liters of oil.

manual says 1.8 liters (1.9q)

but after changing oil and filter, sight glass shows that the oil barely made it to the lower mark.

the bike was upright with front wheel chocks, both wheels flat on the ground.

should i add more oil? i'm estimating about 0.2liters more, maybe 0.3liters.

or should i trust the manual even when the sight glass shows that the oil barely made the lower mark?

Speaks softly, but carries a sidearm...
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMoTe!!! View Post
i was about to ask the same question.

my mechanic says that i should put in more oil even after we have already put in 2liters of oil.

manual says 1.8 liters (1.9q)

but after changing oil and filter, sight glass shows that the oil barely made it to the lower mark.

the bike was upright with front wheel chocks, both wheels flat on the ground.

should i add more oil? i'm estimating about 0.2liters more, maybe 0.3liters.

or should i trust the manual even when the sight glass shows that the oil barely made the lower mark?
Front wheel chocks may be holding it upright but slightly tilted. Top off to near full line when held balanced upright.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtail View Post
Excellent point, I didn't think of that since I changed to a K&N. I'll have to check to see if it's longer than stock.
Did you find out if your replacement oil filter is longer than OEM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode