Fog light - tail light modder - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cheftyler
  • 1 Post By IAMRA
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Fog light - tail light modder

Hi all,

I'm not sure this was already discussed but I couldn't dig deep old post. I'm designing a module which is capable of driving foglights in 3 different modes (static on, synchronous flasher, asynchronous flasher and off) and flasher for brake light.

For the brake/tail light, I want it to flash when I brake. Circuit is ready but I'm confused about how to connect it to motorbike's tail light wiring. I saw a similar product, which suggest to strip existing 3 wires (Blue, Black-Yellow, Red) and directly connect module's wires to tail light wire. Here is a image they provide.
(Sorry it is in Turkish but I guess you understand what I mean. In the image there is another tail light, so you avoid it)


This didnt make sense to me. Here is why: When I brake, blue wire will be 12V and it wont matter if I flash it from the module because it will be on always. So in my opinion I should cut the connection of blue wire from LEDs. Blue wire should get into module and another wire should go to LEDs instead of blue wire. So please share your ideas if I'm missing something.

Btw I already designed and tested electronic hardware and software of the fog light functionality (I will upload the video soon) but I haven't connected it to motorbikes electric system yet. I want to use pass button as an option. Fog lights will be enabled whenever I press the pass button. When I check motorbikes wiring diagram, I realized pass button is connecting "low headlight" to "high headlight". So it is not like one pin goes to high headlight and other pin of the switch goes to ground. This is also not like usual low-power electronic design.

Sorry for long post.
longliveversys is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Member
 
Cheftyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Unless I'm missing something from the diagram, the OEM brake light in this instance won't flash because the flashing module isn't inline between the bike's wiring harness and the OEM brake light, it is only affecting the additional light.
Lours_Polaire likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cheftyler is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
Unless I'm missing something from the diagram, the OEM brake light in this instance won't flash because the flashing module isn't inline between the bike's wiring harness and the OEM brake light, it is only affecting the additional light.

OEM light is the one at the bottom and I expect it to work. My concern is bike's light wont flash with given connection diagram.
longliveversys is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Member
 
Cheftyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longliveversys View Post
OEM light is the one at the bottom and I expect it to work. My concern is bike's light wont flash with given connection diagram.
Follow these instructions: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t-flasher.html just replace the Backoff XP with your flasher of choice.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cheftyler is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longliveversys View Post
OEM light is the one at the bottom and I expect it to work. My concern is bike's light wont flash with given connection diagram.
The oem running/brake light is the one on the top of the diagram, with three wires, labeled "Aracin orijinal stop lambasi (Original Brake Light)." The module pictured is for adding an additional two wire light, having both running and brake functions. It converts three wires to two wires. If you are not adding additional running/brake lights, this is the wrong module to use. If you just want to add a flasher to the oem brake light, you want a standard flasher module. In this case you would install module inline with the blue wire going to the brake light. See diagram.
I am confused about your plans with "fog lights". Fog lights are typically forward facing to augment headlights. Do you really want to flash these while braking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BLP_wiring.jpg (10.5 KB, 58 views)
Lours_Polaire likes this.
IAMRA is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
The oem running/brake light is the one on the top of the diagram, with three wires, labeled "Aracin orijinal stop lambasi (Original Brake Light)." The module pictured is for adding an additional two wire light, having both running and brake functions. It converts three wires to two wires. If you are not adding additional running/brake lights, this is the wrong module to use. If you just want to add a flasher to the oem brake light, you want a standard flasher module. In this case you would install module inline with the blue wire going to the brake light. See diagram.
I am confused about your plans with "fog lights". Fog lights are typically forward facing to augment headlights. Do you really want to flash these while braking?
@IAMRA, @Cheftyler what you share confirms my design as I imageine. So I'll cut the connection of blue wire and I replace my module inline.

@IAMRA I'm gonna combine foglights with passing button not the brakes. So when I need high beam to notify the vehicle ahead that I'm passing, they will know for sure that I'm passing
longliveversys is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longliveversys View Post
Btw I already designed and tested electronic hardware and software of the fog light functionality (I will upload the video soon) but I haven't connected it to motorbikes electric system yet. I want to use pass button as an option. Fog lights will be enabled whenever I press the pass button. When I check motorbikes wiring diagram, I realized pass button is connecting "low headlight" to "high headlight". So it is not like one pin goes to high headlight and other pin of the switch goes to ground. This is also not like usual low-power electronic design.
I should have read your post more carefully. Now i understand. Interesting idea. How many watts are your fog lights? You don't want to overload your headlight wires. An easy and safe install would be to tap into the red wire with black stripe going to the high beam to trigger a relay connected to the battery. You would then connect the relay to the flasher using an inline fuse, and the flasher to the fog lights.
IAMRA is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
I should have read your post more carefully. Now i understand. Interesting idea. How many watts are your fog lights? You don't want to overload your headlight wires. An easy and safe install would be to tap into the red wire with black stripe going to the high beam to trigger a relay connected to the battery. You would then connect the relay to the flasher using an inline fuse, and the flasher to the fog lights.
@IAMRA
Here is a connection diagram that I think but I'm not sure how safe it is for the motorbike.


I use cree u5 led lights (which already have some mods in it but I'll avoid it) As far as I know leds are 10-15W
longliveversys is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Cree U5 LEDs are typically 15 watts each, so your total wattage for the headlihgts and fog lights will be 55+55+15+15=140 watts or 10 amps at 14 volts. The headlight circuit runs off a 15 amp fuse, so I think you will be fine without the relay.
IAMRA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
brake light, fog light, tail light

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome