Tire temperature and pressure - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tire temperature and pressure

Have you ever checked your tire pressure during a ride? How much did the pressures go up?

Yesterday I checked the tires at room temperature and they were dead on at 33 psi front, 36 psi rear. Then after about 20 miles of paved mountain roads (with sand, gravel and the occasional boulder on the curves just for fun) the front was up to 33.5 psi while the rear was up to 41 psi. The rear rim felt quite warm to the touch, whereas the front felt normal.

These are new Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires. So far I like them far better than the OEM rubber. They got me up a trail the Dunlops failed at badly last autumn. And they feel more stable on the highway and around town. They don't want to keep leaning in further and further, they just go where they are told to.

Anyhow, just wondering if the temp and pressure increases are normal, as I've never checked pressures during a ride before.

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 06-07-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
when we were racing I think we got about 3-4lb increase on hot tires. Its been so long I think those #'s are correct.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 07:34 PM

I try for 5 to 10% increase. Isn't always feasible or maybe not best. That's generally putting the tires into pretty warm but not hot range. I have a bike now where I can't get down to that, it's just a heavy machine and works the tires hard. And my VStrom runs on a cold front tire, unless I have it way too soft. But the 10% is a good starting point.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It is normal. Front tire isn't subject to nearly as much load and propulsion forces... Front tire also gets better air cooling.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 03:46 AM

Garage
I did an 8000 km, 3 week trip through the middle of Australia. Before I left I filled the tyres with nitrogen. During the trip we were doing high speed (130 km/h) heavily loaded, we jumped off and felt the tyres with our hands. From previous experience tyres get hot at high speed, too hot to grab hold of, however with the nitrogen the tyres were warm, not hot.
After 8000 km and 3 weeks I checked the pressures, both tyres had lost 2 lb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode