08 Versys with sudden electrical issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By viclava

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
08 Versys with sudden electrical issue

So, this morning I come out to my bike, to run an errand. Keeping in mind I rode the bike yesterday with no issues, and the battery is kept on a trickle charger (most of the time).

I go to start it up and it starts to run through the usual instrument diagnostics with the warning lights etc, when suddenly it starts to flicker and goes black.

I turn key off and try again. Flickers a couple times and makes a sick sounding noise then nothing..

I take the seat off thinking my battery is dead and jump it with my little Whistler batter jumper. Bike starts right up, but as soon as I remove, it goes dead. I do this twice and finally start wondering what the heck is going on.

I push it back in garage and plug in my trickle charger which immediately starts blinking green, which signifies the battery is at al least 80%.

I try and start it again, and same thing, the instrument display is flickering and making a sick noise when the fuel injetors try and do their thing.

Any ideas what may be happeing?? I have a long trip coming up and need this troubleshooted, like right now.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
unstable_rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
clean up your battery connections and make sure there tight, test your batter with a volt meter , and what kind of trickle charger are you using?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

yea, I keep my battery connections pretty clean, but under the guise of proper troubleshooting, I re-clean the connections and make sure everything is snug, and NO change. Instruments just flicker and go off. Stumped.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Latest is now when I turn the key to on nd try and start, the instrument display flickrs on and off very fast. battery ready good, so not sure whats happening. There was no warning sign prior to this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If it works fine from another battery source then your bike battery is f*cked!!!

It's prolly breaking down under load, how old is it?

Also, if you use the bike on a regular basis, a trickle charger is unnecessary! (unless you have a suspect battery or alternator)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

my2wheels, your right on the money. Replaced with a Moto Battery AGM. Spend, but very good with 2 year replacement battery. Thx for the responses.

Cheers, I'm going for a ride now..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 04:19 PM

Congratulations on the easy fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode