Installed a 12v plug into my Gen 3.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Installed a 12v plug into my Gen 3....

I bought a 12v plug (c/w the USB 5v plug at NO extra cost!) from Cycle Gear last winter, on sale at about $10, and installed it yesterday. Here are pics of what product it is.

Once I had removed the factory plug

I checked the size of the hole in the dash

which is the SAME size as the Cycle Gear 12v adapter

Once I had 'trial-fitted' it, I removed it and looked for a couple of 'bullet-connectors' in my electrical stash, and found one each, F and M.

Then I looked at the wires beside the Kawi relay I'd installed for about $16 Cdn last year, and checked for 12v w/ a multi-meter. YES - ignition ON - 12v, OFF - NO v...!

So I removed enough of the electricians tape to free both wires,

cut about 28" from the Cycle Gear adaptor pig-tale, then crimped the two bullet connectors on (female onto black, male onto red), followed by soldering, then 'shrink-wrapping' them,

installed the plug thru the hole in the dash (I'd picked the left-side one because of some members reporting clearance issues when using the right-side hole)

then attached the two bullet connectors (also a bit of electricians tape DESPITE the shrink-wrap)

checked for voltage (zero), then ignition ON, checked again - 12V!

and here it is - COMPLETE.

Took maybe an hour, not counting removing the windscreen and 'meter-cover', and works my 12v compressor. Not bad for $10 and some time....

-
weljo2001 and Cojacket like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I actually have one of those exact 12V power thingy's in my "electrical whatnot bin".

Great post.

Now I just need to go and fish out a relay.

:-)

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the same outlet on mine as well. I did a whole write up on it here on the forum.
Here is the link
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t-install.html

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
I have the same outlet on mine as well. I did a whole write up on it here on the forum.
Here is the link
SORRY - I just re-read your first post.... I thought you'd used the Kawi part, which is the ONLY reason I started this thread.

My bad....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I bought a 12v plug (c/w the USB 5v plug at NO extra cost!) from Cycle Gear last winter, on sale at about $10, and installed it yesterday. Here are pics of what product it is.

Once I had removed the factory plug

I checked the size of the hole in the dash

which is the SAME size as the Cycle Gear 12v adapter

Once I had 'trial-fitted' it, I removed it and looked for a couple of 'bullet-connectors' in my electrical stash, and found one each, F and M.

Then I looked at the wires beside the Kawi relay I'd installed for about $16 Cdn last year, and checked for 12v w/ a multi-meter. YES - ignition ON - 12v, OFF - NO v...!

So I removed enough of the electricians tape to free both wires,

cut about 28" from the Cycle Gear adaptor pig-tale, then crimped the two bullet connectors on (female onto black, male onto red), followed by soldering, then 'shrink-wrapping' them,

installed the plug thru the hole in the dash (I'd picked the left-side one because of some members reporting clearance issues when using the right-side hole)

then attached the two bullet connectors (also a bit of electricians tape DESPITE the shrink-wrap)

checked for voltage (zero), then ignition ON, checked again - 12V!

and here it is - COMPLETE.

Took maybe an hour, not counting removing the windscreen and 'meter-cover', and works my 12v compressor. Not bad for $10 and some time....

-

If don't mind could you describe how you remove the windscreen and 'meter-cover'? Thanks

Versatile Versys
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
If don't mind could you describe how you remove the windscreen and 'meter-cover'? Thanks
Windshield - remove those two BIG black plastic knobs between the two bolts on each side, then remove it (BUT be careful NOT to drop and lose the small, black plastic pieces that are between the metal-part the BIG black plastic knobs screw into, and the metal "rail" the 'shield slides up-and-down on.

Meter cover - remove the two "push-pins" (1 each side of the horizontal black plastic over the instruments) - look for the 'hole' just right of my knuckle in this pic.

Then remove the TWO shiny bolts at the lower front of the meter-cover (they go into the two 'well-nuts' - black things - either side of the shiny green piece in this pic)

and then slide the black meter cover FORWARD, in a DOWN-WARD direction, and you're in there.

REVERSE to re-attach.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Windshield - remove those two BIG black plastic knobs between the two bolts on each side, then remove it (BUT be careful NOT to drop and lose the small, black plastic pieces that are between the metal-part the BIG black plastic knobs screw into, and the metal "rail" the 'shield slides up-and-down on.

Meter cover - remove the two "push-pins" (1 each side of the horizontal black plastic over the instruments) - look for the 'hole' just right of my knuckle in this pic.

Then remove the TWO shiny bolts at the lower front of the meter-cover (they go into the two 'well-nuts' - black things - either side of the shiny green piece in this pic)

and then slide the black meter cover FORWARD, in a DOWN-WARD direction, and you're in there.

REVERSE to re-attach.
Thanks man!

Versatile Versys
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
Thanks man!
More info here
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:17 PM

Garage
I still can't believe I paid $84.00 for the Kawasaki Power Outlet. Plus the relay.

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
Nice thanks! Push thingies!

Versatile Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode