How to judge sprocket wear - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
How to judge sprocket wear

Hey all.

I just bought a 2008 Versys 650, almost 38,000 KM on it. I was told the chain and sprocket was replaced last year, but I don't actually know how many miles are on it, or if that is even true.

It looks like the chain/sprocket could go for a good cleaning, but I don't actually know what to look for when deciding if its time to replace the rear sprocket, besides bent, missing or broken teeth.

Here's a couple pictures.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0E&usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
get a picture of the front sprocket, from what I see, the rear looks fine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I agree w/ onewizard.

Here's a pic of a rear sprocket at aprox. 56,000 miles, against a new one. Note that the 'tips' of the teeth (as shown on your pics) are NOT visible here, on the used one. The chain had worn the sprocket DOWN so it was lower.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Guys!

I'll get a picture of the front sprocket when I get back home (traveling for work), although I don't know if the front sprocket was ever changed.

Planning on doing my first chain cleaning/maintenance here in a couple weeks, just need to buy the tools/lube/grease.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The front sprocket wears at twice the rate of the rear due to fewer teeth and thus more loading on each tooth

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBVersys001 View Post
Thanks Guys!

I'll get a picture of the front sprocket when I get back home (traveling for work), although I don't know if the front sprocket was ever changed.

Planning on doing my first chain cleaning/maintenance here in a couple weeks, just need to buy the tools/lube/grease.
I'd suggest you order/ buy another front sprocket (the ones w/out the rubber damper are just as good...), and have it on hand to replace WHEN it becomes necessary. The nut holding it ON can be a 'bear' to remove - check for threads on removing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The front sprocket wears at twice the rate of the rear due to fewer teeth and thus more loading on each tooth

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I'd suggest you order/ buy another front sprocket (the ones w/out the rubber damper are just as good...), and have it on hand to replace WHEN it becomes necessary. The nut holding it ON can be a 'bear' to remove - check for threads on removing it.
Thanks for the advice.

Haven't had a chance to take a look at the front sprocket yet. Makes sense it would wear faster.

Should I look for straight OEM replacements or are there any preferred/suggested aftermarket parts I should be looking at?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBVersys001 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Should I look for straight OEM replacements or are there any preferred/suggested aftermarket parts I should be looking at?...
I use SunStar ones (and I BELIEVE they also make the OEM rubber-damped ones) or JT (w/ a "half sun" logo) sprockets.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I use SunStar ones (and I BELIEVE they also make the OEM rubber-damped ones) or JT (w/ a "half sun" logo) sprockets.
I believe the rear sprocket is sunstar already, not sure about the front. I really need to take the time and pull that plastic cover off and check.

Of course it's my anniversary today, and the wife seems to have the evening and a weekend trip planned. Might have to wait till next week before I can check or get the bike out for some fun.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 03:03 PM

Question so, about sprocket teeth...

Quote:
I agree w/ onewizard.

Here's a pic of a rear sprocket at aprox. 56,000 miles, against a new one. Note that the 'tips' of the teeth (as shown on your pics) are NOT visible here, on the used one. The chain had worn the sprocket DOWN so it was lower.

I am due for a change (I think) of the front and rear... just want to make sure of the number of teeth - front is 15t, rear is 46t and the chain is 520 - 114 links?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
I am due for a change (I think) of the front and rear... just want to make sure of the number of teeth - front is 15t, rear is 46t and the chain is 520 - 114 links?
That is correct if you want to use the stock gearing. If you want to change the gearing, this is the perfect time for it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 05:42 PM

front sprocket bolt size???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

I am about to change the chain, front and rear sprockets. Can someone who has changed their front sprocket tell me what size "mm" I need to remove it and how much torque should be applied in the re-install? I know what I need for the rear as I have removed the rear wheel before.

Thanks in advance.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I am about to change the chain, front and rear sprockets. Can someone who has changed their front sprocket tell me what size "mm" I need to remove it and how much torque should be applied in the re-install? I know what I need for the rear as I have removed the rear wheel before.

Thanks in advance.
You need a 27mm or 1 1/16 socket. Use a 6 point socket, the nut can be very tight and you might round the nut with a 12 point socket.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
27mm or 1 1/16", 6-point as already posted. Just checked my 2015 SERVICE MANUAL - torque is 122'/#, but I THINK the SERVICE MANUAL for my Gen 1 says 92'/#, and as it's in AZ - can't verify....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode