Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Unusual vibration

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  invader 
#1 ·
We all know the Versys is not a smooth riding motorcycle, but I've noticed a special kind of vibration. At highway speeds, the bike flutters/rumbles/vibrates for about 1 second, then it is smooth for 1 second, then it rumbles again for 1 second, then smooth.. It repeats like a metronome.

I can feel it in the handlebars and when it rains, I can even see the raindrops n the windscreen shake/sit still/shake/sit still.

I tried to get close to the screen on my last journey to capture the phenomenon, but I have to dig through the footage from the trip, still.

It almost feels like a wobbly front wheel, but it's in such a pattern that it doesn't make sense to me.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated

#4 ·
I highly recommend Ride-On tire balancer and sealant. 7oz in the front, and 9oz in the rear.
Maybe you lost a wheel balancing weight. Can you see a clean spot, or residue on the rim where a weight might have been?

Ride-On Tire Protection System ("Ride-On TPS") is a line of orange gel-like tire sealants (tyre sealants) and tire balancers containing fibers six times stronger than steel that coat the inner liners of tires. This protective tire sealant coating is formulated to prevent flats caused by punctures, hydrodynamically balance tire/wheel assemblies (with or without wheel weights) for the life of a tire, extend tire (tyre) life by lowering tire (tyre) operating temperatures and helping tires (tyres) maintain their set-point pressures by eliminating porosity air loss.
Motorcycle Tire Sealant | Scooters Tire Sealant | Motorcycle Formula (MOT) - Ride-On

#7 ·
Well it's a brand new chain, and it vibrated the same on the short 112 link **** I took off that the dealer installed.. I've never done a chain before, but I'm not a dummy and it's on there all good.

As for the balancing, we'll the same dealer at the same time as the chain did new tires.. So it is probbaly the balance then. I don't think there's a clean spot where a balance weight fell off.. Of course once a week my wheels are shiny black like the factory gave them to me, so maybe I washed off the marking!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have it balanced and go from there.

#9 ·
No there are a few blocks.. 3 or 4!

What I meant is if one fell off, I wouldn't see a ring of clean because my rims are on fleek :grin2:

I bought that balancing juice mentioned above, and a valve tool.. Gonna just remove the balancing weights and do my tires up with that stuff.

#12 ·
YEAH. So the rear has 4 on each side, and the front has 3 and 4.. But theres no sign of one being missing, no adhesive or weird markings.. I am thinking of taking one off and making it 3 and 3 for now..

IF you haven't added the 'goop', I would strongly recommend DynaBeads - I have OVER 115,000 MILES on three Vs w/ them.

:thumb: - :thumb:
I ordered the Ride On Tire sealer/balancer. I never heard of that, and after reading about it, seems like I should've been using this all along. Should be in next week sometime. Thanks for the heads up!

I always thought tires were something I would never do, because balancing, etc. If I get myself a set of spoons, it's probably not that hard at all, and this Ride-On stuff balances the tires without weights?

SCREW the dealer, they gave me a short chain which resulted in a misalignment of the rear, and cant even balance a god damned tire. Donezo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.