Oil plug gasket? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oil plug gasket?

Hi. I am about to take a oil change but noticed that most of the plug gaskets are copper. Wont this wear on the alu engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Garage
Those are called "crush washers" and are designed to flatten and seal with the pressure you apply while tightening them. The surface mating area is small and you will see no corrosion over time.

At least you got one, my bike didn't have one when I removed the drain plug the first time.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Copper washers should be annealed each time they are dismantled and re-used. Heat it with a propane torch (those new butane lighters would probably do) until it glows cherry red. It can then be quenched in cold water. That will ensure a good seal and eliminate any brittleness. They can be re-used many times.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did not have one either when I went to change my oil last year, and could not find a copper one at the normal suspect stores. What size do we use, and are they compatible with putting on a magnetic drain plug. If I recall you have to buy 6 to 12 if you purchase them online. If somebody is buying a few, I'll split the cost and pay for the postage to send to me.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 09:32 AM

Garage
Kawasaki part # 92065-097 ($0.34 MSRP). 12 mm hole, 22 mm outer diameter, 2 mm thick.

Kawasaki recommends changing it at every oil change. I buy six at a time. You can also anneal as described above. I've been buying my crush washers (among other things) HERE for a couple of years (for different bikes). The last batch they just posted in an envelope so shipping was like a $1.00 or something.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yes they are compatible with a magnetic plug unless the new plug has an integral rubber washer built in (many cars have this but the magnetic plug I bought for my motorcycle did not).
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Copper washers should be annealed each time they are dismantled and re-used. Heat it with a propane torch (those new butane lighters would probably do) until it glows cherry red. It can then be quenched in cold water. That will ensure a good seal and eliminate any brittleness. They can be re-used many times.
It MUST be quenched to anneal (soften), and you can generally get them fairly cheaply at O'Reilly or NAPA auto parts - look for 1/2" copper ones. (I have one previously annealed and quenched, to exchange as I change oil, then I do the 'take-off' one.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So if you get it off the self at Autozone, or get the OEM part, they still need to be annealed before the 1st use?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:30 PM

Garage
No, not for first use. They are ready to go. They are cheap, throw out the old one and get several new ones for replacements down the line.

Cheers,

Charlie

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Copper or alu trz charlie?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The function of a "crush washer" is to keep from grinding the steel drain plug into the aluminum case, especially for those that over-torque the drain plugs.

Nothing high tech here. Change it when it looks damaged.

Copper or aluminum. Both work just fine.

No need to anneal them.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:53 AM

Garage
Gasket # 92065-097

Hello Folks,
I have a 2018 Versys 1000 and looking to do first oil change my self, still breaking-in the engine.........
Searched everywhere but do not see gasket # 92065-097 easily available or price is $$$ and shipment may take a very long time.
Any one bought them recently and can point me in that direction?

Found 1 Gallon Kawasaki Performance Oils 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil
Found BikeMaster Steel Magnetic Oil Drain Plug 12mm x 1.5 # FHM050-S12
But can't seem to get the gaskets.

Thank you,
Vadim

2018 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
Hello Folks,
I have a 2018 Versys 1000 and looking to do first oil change my self, still breaking-in the engine.........
Searched everywhere but do not see gasket # 92065-097 easily available or price is $$$ and shipment may take a very long time.

Thank you,
Vadim
M12 x 20mm crush washer. You'll find them everywhere (Amazon, AutoZone, HomeDepot, eBay...) just make sure they're soft aluminum or copper and you're good.
BTW, I only replace the washer every 3 or 4 oil changes. You can use the same if not damaged. Inspect it before replacing.
Vadim likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Or just go to an auto-parts store (like O'Reilly Auto Parts) and buy a small package of 1/2" copper washers (fairly inexpensive).

I anneal mine when I change oil (which 'softens' it) and re-use.

Aluminum washers aren't able to be annealed w/out very sophisticated equipment (IF at all!).
Vadim likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hello Folks,

Thank you,
Vadim

On my V-1000 i went with this magnetic plug....https://goldplug.com/shop/mp01/
The washers for it.......https://goldplug.com/shop/sw03/ .....When you check out on their site you have an option to pay with your Amazon account i believe its free shipping. I know it cheaper to buy it that way.
Also you can get good deals on Motul 7100 10w40 on Amazon also....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKCY9RK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

P1010566 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010567 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010568 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010571 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Vadim likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
M12 x 20mm crush washer. You'll find them everywhere (Amazon, AutoZone, HomeDepot, eBay...) just make sure they're soft aluminum or copper and you're good.
BTW, I only replace the washer every 3 or 4 oil changes. You can use the same if not damaged. Inspect it before replacing.

Thank you! Found some soft aluminum M12 x 20 drain plug washers on Amazon.....
Jay_Chicago likes this.

Last edited by Vadim; 07-18-2018 at 12:01 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Or just go to an auto-parts store (like O'Reilly Auto Parts) and buy a small package of 1/2" copper washers (fairly inexpensive).

I anneal mine when I change oil (which 'softens' it) and re-use.

Aluminum washers aren't able to be annealed w/out very sophisticated equipment (IF at all!).
Good suggestion, will keep that in mind - Thank you!

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
On my V-1000 i went with this magnetic plug....https://goldplug.com/shop/mp01/
Thanks weljo2001! I ordered Gold Plug MP-01 Stainless Steel Magnetic Drain Plug on Amazon....
weljo2001 likes this.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks weljo2001! I ordered Gold Plug MP-01 Stainless Steel Magnetic Drain Plug on Amazon....

Now if you want a good oil filter for it ...Heres what I've been using for the last 8 years....https://www.amazon.com/PC-Racing-PCS...3JV3JCV96C3NTY

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 11:25 PM

Garage
Thank you Everyone!
Really appreciate all the help\suggestions!

Did my first EVER oil\filter\bolt change today. While the bike was cold I wanted to make sure I can unscrew filter and drain bolt. At first had a hard time unscrewing the filter using a adjustable grip pliers, filter was on tight. Tried the auto store for a more dedicated tool but all were a bit to large. Went back to the adjustable grip pliers and squeezed tighter and finally the filter turned. Other than that scary moment, the job was easy peasy lemon squeezy. Thanks guys!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0167.jpg (60.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (68.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (75.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (65.9 KB, 11 views)
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by Vadim; 07-28-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in