Is there such a thing as a OBD port on the 2015 Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is there such a thing as a OBD port on the 2015 Versys?

Called the dealer to set up first service call. $239...

When i balked at the price, He said that "other" bike shops
dont have the proprietary computer to do the diagnostics.

$239 sounds rich to change oil, check fluids and linkage.

Are they pulling my leg about the diagnostic software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Just Had First Service in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineride View Post
Called the dealer to set up first service call. $239...

When i balked at the price, He said that "other" bike shops
dont have the proprietary computer to do the diagnostics.

$239 sounds rich to change oil, check fluids and linkage.

Are they pulling my leg about the diagnostic software?
Paid $139, just to keep them happy, could have done it myself. first I have ever heard of OBD--do you have money falling out of your pockets? That is roughly 3X what I paid if you figure in the exchange on the dollar.

Note: rather than edit, what I meant by ever hearing of OBD , was a dealer suggesting my bike needed to be hooked up for the first service, to imply they are the only ones that could diagnose your bike is completely wrong, and implying to do a service would require this is also wrong, howeverif the dealer said that that was what was required for the first service I would ask for a quote in writing stating that, then find a new service shop if you ever need service and I might suggest you contact Kawasaki for a crooked dealer--although it will be probably more trouble than it's worth.

Others have posted on this thread about doing your own service, while you get the quote in writing , buy a filter and 2 liters of Kawasaki oil , $25 roughly and have a bill made out with your name and address and dated, not made out to "cash". Then say good by to your dealer!! Dated receipt and mark the kilometers down on the receipt, all that is needed for warranty, and 1/10 the cost.
afineride likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-17-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, the versys has a diagnostic port under the seat. Here is a link to the Kawasaki Diagnostic System software, if you want to see what can be tested.
http://www.ca-mc.dk/files/pdf/pdf/kd..._final_lr1.pdf
IMHO, this is not necessary for your first service, unless you are experiencing some problems. First service usually consists of oil change and chain adjustment. You may also need to adjust clutch and throttle cables. I recommend you do the first service yourself. and keep records. You will need two quarts of oil and an oil filter.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There is nothing to diagnose if it's running fine and there are no trouble codes to read... Besides, you can diagnose it yourself by grounding the bullet connector.

What mileage is it at?
Old 05-17-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
Yes, the versys has a diagnostic port under the seat. Here is a link to the Kawasaki Diagnostic System software, if you want to see what can be tested.
http://www.ca-mc.dk/files/pdf/pdf/kd..._final_lr1.pdf
IMHO, this is not necessary for your first service, unless you are experiencing some problems. First service usually consists of oil change and chain adjustment. You may also need to adjust clutch and throttle cables. I recommend you do the first service yourself. and keep records. You will need two quarts of oil and an oil filter.
I guess they weren't pulling my leg. Thank you. Good, accurate information.

The bike only has 1050 miles on it and there is nothing going on mechanically that has me concerned so I will just change the oil myself, check the chain and make any adjustments to the cables. I can do those things. Had they offered to do the first service for $100, I would have taken them up on that because my time is worth more to me than that.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
there is nothing to diagnose if it's running fine and there are no trouble codes to read... Besides, you can diagnose it yourself by grounding the bullet connector.

What mileage is it at?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afineride View Post
Had they offered to do the first service for $100, I would have taken them up on that because my time is worth more to me than that.
Offer them $100 to do jobs listed, and nothing else. Everybody Wins, and now they know to give you a real deal in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in