Dropped the bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Dropped the bike

So I managed a low speed dump of me and the bike today. Nothing drastic and totally my fault. The bike ended up with a bunch of scratches on the left side but it drove home fine. Is there anything I should look for? Anything I should check?

--------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Always good to check the bike after a fall/crash/tipover, but from what you described, I doubt you did any damage beyond scratches.

I dropped my prior back (Bandit 1200) more times than I care to remember (it's tall and heavy. I'm short. OK, short and heavy :P) and the only damage done was:
- a broken brake lever (once)
- a slightly tweaked handlebar

Obviously you'd know if you broke a lever. Have someone hold the bike vertical and look at it head-on from a distance - do the bars look level? good. The bar on the tipover side of the bandit was slightly higher - clearly it had been bent - but not so much that it affected riding.

If that happened, and it bothers you, try to bend the bar back, or replace it. I'd ride it another 40K miles and not worry about it. In fact, I DID! :P

Rob in KC
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The barkbusters took the brunt of the impact so the levers survived. I'll look at the handlebars as well.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Low Speed Drop Check Stater Cover

This has happened before, depends what you have on your bike, take a close look at your stater cover, a person had this happen and this is the result;

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...4-post422.html
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hope you weren't grabbing a little too much front brake at low speed as I have been know to do. Hurts the ego more than anything in that I should have known better. But I am ambidextrous having done it on both the right and left sides.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:01 PM

Garage
All my drops have been at less than 10 kph / 6 mph and have only resulted in scratches and major bruising to the ego

The last drop (while off-road) bent my gear shift rod.

Check both locknuts (10 mm spanner) are tight or this might happen on the ride home.

I now have the old one as a spare as a new (straight) one with both locknuts was less than $20.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-05-07 18.06.41.jpg (85.4 KB, 75 views)

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So big question I have right now is how to get rid of the scratches. While there's no rush to do that, I'd hate to leave all those scratches there for the years I expect to ride the bike. Right now I have scratches in three spots. The fairing on the side of the tank, the grey plastic piece right below the front indicator, and the dark grey metal cover over the generator. I have a friend who can do the painting but I'm wondering how easy it would be to get replacement parts/stickers.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 PM

Scratches are mostly to the ego, just pick it up and ride. Down in the the dirt in Mexico.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1391.jpg (64.6 KB, 67 views)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfart View Post
Scratches are mostly to the ego, just pick it up and ride. Down in the the dirt in Mexico.
I agree with Wingfart - wear the scratches as badges of honour and don't worry about them - you will get lots more.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididar View Post
So big question I have right now is how to get rid of the scratches. While there's no rush to do that, I'd hate to leave all those scratches there for the years I expect to ride the bike. Right now I have scratches in three spots. The fairing on the side of the tank, the grey plastic piece right below the front indicator, and the dark grey metal cover over the generator. I have a friend who can do the painting but I'm wondering how easy it would be to get replacement parts/stickers.
You could fill the scratches with Plast-aid and repaint. Or you can order replacement plastics from Thailand fairly cheap.
Genuine spare parts Motorcycle Kawasaki Versys 2015 2016 and Accessories Bikers original parts - Asian-MotoParts
You can get replacement decals here.
Kawasaki
And a new generator cover here.
Kawasaki
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM

Did you shut engine off quickly? Nothing worse than a running engine on its side!

Versatile Versys
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yep. Engine shut off immediately because the thing was still in gear and I obviously wasn't still holding the clutch.

Some of those parts will help but the US dollar will kick my ass right now.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 PM

Bummer, but glad to hear that the damage wasn't major. Unless it interferes with the ability to ride the machine (doesn't sound like it), I'd wait a bit to see if the dollar rebounds a bit. Shipping costs to St. John's can't be great, either. I was born and raised there...left in '92...so I know how expensive that can be.

Also check eBay for parts for a 2007-2009. (e.g. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/08-Kawasaki-K...RWvUvV&vxp=mtr)

Cheers,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididar View Post
Yep. Engine shut off immediately because the thing was still in gear and I obviously wasn't still holding the clutch.
The engine didn't shut off because it was in gear, but because the "vehicle down sensor" did its job.

You have to turn ignition off & on again before it will restart. (Page 71 of the Versys Owner's Manual)

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 08:14 AM

Garage
I'd be checking the rear pegs and any bends in the subframe that hold the pegs in place. the paint can crack and rust will set in. Use a rubber mallet to bend them back in line.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
You could fill the scratches with Plast-aid and repaint. Or you can order replacement plastics from Thailand fairly cheap.
Genuine spare parts Motorcycle Kawasaki Versys 2015 2016 and Accessories Bikers original parts - Asian-MotoParts
You can get replacement decals here.
Kawasaki
And a new generator cover here.
Kawasaki
The current plan is that eventually I'll buy a generator cover and decals and then clean up and paint the plastic pieces that are scratched. The generator cover took the most scratches so it would be the most work to repair. A co-worker of mine used to do auto-body repair and painting, and still does some plastic/composites and painting here where he works now so he'll help me fix up the plastic pieces.

But, ultimately no rush to do this as I said. The links were a great help, though. Thanks.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
keep the scratches it adds character

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 12:27 AM

Shallow scratches not through color, just fill with clear and level.

Just through the color, fill with color matched paint.

Gouges into the substrate, believe we used a plastic filler 3M product and matching primer.

Breaks and weak thin spots, fiberglass tape on the back embedded in the plastic filler material.

Have fun!

On wife's bike, which was moderately banged up when we got it, thinking of filling, leveling, and shooting masked off portions of the side cowel and fender with black armoring finish, Rhino? Something like that. Available now in spray cans. Would look interesting!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 06:48 AM

Garage
Also crash bars probably would have prevented the scratches happening. I dropped mine 3 times (all at a standstill) and the only marks were on the crash bars and BarkBusters
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Also crash bars probably would have prevented the scratches happening. I dropped mine 3 times (all at a standstill) and the only marks were on the crash bars and BarkBusters
Sadly, I was going to buy crash bars but forgot all about doing so. In retrospect I shouldn't have procrastinated and bought the things.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode