2015 Dash Buzzing - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
2015 Dash Buzzing

V Team,

I realize there are multiple threads addressing the Dash Buzzing from Gen 1 and 2 Vs. That being said, I searched and was unable to find anything on Gen 3s..

I have ~950miles on my 2015 V and have started to notice a buzzing(although it is a deeper buzz, almost a rattle) from the dash. Has anybody else experienced this, and if so, any ideas as to where exactly it's coming from?

-1largebarge

Ring Rippers Founding Father
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
How often do you take all the plastics off the bike to make sure all the fasteners are tight and give the bike a deep cleaning?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
How often do you take all the plastics off the bike to make sure all the fasteners are tight and give the bike a deep cleaning?
I've had the bike for just over two weeks. I have cleaned the bike a few times but have not taken the plastics off yet. Sounds like something thats happening this week when I can get a sunny day..

I will also be fixing the rattle, thanks for the link!

[/FONT]
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have had the plastics off about a dozen times. I replaced my girlfriend with the versys, and I like getting her naked. Remember to lube the grommets. Read the manual carefully the first time. There is a flat hook that holds the middle fairings at the top that seems very easy to break. Hold this junction together with one hand, pull out the 3 rear grommets, lift the top part of the fairing off the tank attachment point, and lower rear of fairing to release the hook. You may also have to push the fairing in to lock this hook when re-installing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (62.2 KB, 219 views)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 01:59 PM

Garage
I found another source of buzz around the dash panel. I did not know if it was my imagination, but I thought I could hear a subtle buzz at 5000 rpm while engine braking. Now that I have fixed it, I know it was there.

Buzzing areas circled in red

Remove the meter cover and apply electrical tape to the tabs that connect with the dash panel.

Punch holes for the rivet pins.

I also found that this side panel was loose. The spacer for the bolt is a little too long. I added a washer to hold the panel firmly. onewizard reported the same thing. My left panel was loose, I think it was his right.
onewizard and 3dog like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Spacer Foot brake side / Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
I found another source of buzz around the dash panel. I did not know if it was my imagination, but I thought I could hear a subtle buzz at 5000 rpm while engine braking. Now that I have fixed it, I know it was there.

Buzzing areas circled in red

Remove the meter cover and apply electrical tape to the tabs that connect with the dash panel.

Punch holes for the rivet pins.

I also found that this side panel was loose. The spacer for the bolt is a little too long. I added a washer to hold the panel firmly. onewizard reported the same thing. My left panel was loose, I think it was his right.
Yes, how I found it wasn't from a rattle but from the fact I thought I was going to round out the allen socket of the bolt, when put back it was then I came to the conclusion it was over tightened because of the spacer. Need to explain that, there is a insert/ oversize washer that fits inside the plastic, the spacer from the frame to this one is too long, resulting in the plastic being loose, I added a rubber washer to the "insert/oversize washer", end of problem.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:32 PM

Has anyone experienced this buzzing on any other bike? I can't recall this being an issue on other rides. You would think by the 3rd generation somebody at Kawasaki could have stopped by our forum and fixed this..
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Bad Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Has anyone experienced this buzzing on any other bike? I can't recall this being an issue on other rides. You would think by the 3rd generation somebody at Kawasaki could have stopped by our forum and fixed this..
Personally I think that is a bad idea**new wannabe Versys motorcyclists come to this site and read all these threads buzzing from the cowl, turn tail and run, they buy a V Strom

And That is why there are left over 2015 650 ABS at a really good price.
All you 2007 Versys owners and MK2 keep posting "the buzzing and can't reset the trip meter, mode switch stopped working"

Next year in January look for deals on 2016 650 ABS
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
The panels are literally designed to buzz. You have two plastic surfaces in light contact with each other secured by two push pin rivets. The only dampening pad is used at the top. Of course it's going to buzz. In truth, I had to ride without a helmet to really hear it over the engine noise, but the bike sounds so much smoother without the vibrations. I have removed the cover more than several times, and this probably made it worse. Easy fix, though.
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 03:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Personally I think that is a bad idea**new wannabe Versys motorcyclists come to this site and read all these threads buzzing from the cowl, turn tail and run, they buy a V Strom

All you 2007 Versys owners and MK2 keep posting "the buzzing and can't reset the trip meter, mode switch stopped working"

I love this bike. I almost bought a Triumph Tiger 800, and this forum convinced me to buy the v. SO glad I did. It's the perfect bike for me. I even love her little flaws and easy fixes. If you think this might be the right bike for you, you are correct. Buy one for yourself, and it's so cheap, buy one for a friend.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Yes I remember in another thread from a member (currently banned I believe) touted the strength and overall craftsmanship of everything OEM.. and Kawasaki cant keep its dash from buzzing since its introduction 3 models ago.. But then again, look at the doohickey and the KLR's..L
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The panels are literally designed to buzz. I have removed the cover more than several times, and this probably made it worse. Easy fix, though.
I am going to pull a Eddie here

So grasshopper why have you had the plastic off so many times??

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 07:11 PM

Garage
I just noticed this buzz today after installing the dash gauges (This thread) and I didn't even have to use the search function, it was on the top trending threads. Thanks again IMARA! That's twice I'm stealing your fixes.
1largebarge likes this.

Mel

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yup, I def have both vibrations happening right now... Will fix as soon as the rain goes away.

Honestly, I have been thoroughly thrilled with the bike since I got it! If a few small adjustments to counteract some minor buzzing is all that's needed, I'm a happy guy. Compared to other bikes needing brand new suspensions off the get go, this is no big deal.

Plus, the dudes on this forum have the answer to everything and are willing to share. BUY ONE ALREADY!!

[/FONT]
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:

I think I posted this somewhere else. I traded in a girlfriend for a motorcycle, and I like spending money on her and getting her naked. We are very happy together.
But, now is the time to ride. I have hidden my tool box up in the attic.
onewizard and kiteflying like this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 04:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
I just noticed this buzz today after installing the dash gauges (This thread) and I didn't even have to use the search function, it was on the top trending threads. Thanks again IMARA! That's twice I'm stealing your fixes.
My favorite modification to date has been LED headlight bulbs, and I don't think it will be outdone. Trust me one more time, brother. I know you'll be pleased. Had a night drive last night, and i could not stop giggling.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1135378
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

NAKED, Glen, some of us WANT 'naked'...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
My favorite modification to date has been LED headlight bulbs, and I don't think it will be outdone. Trust me one more time, brother. I know you'll be pleased. Had a night drive last night, and i could not stop giggling.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ml#post1135378
I had looked at doing this last December, but I'm glad to see you wrote this down so that I don't have to start from scratch. I'm fawning over a "sportier" exhaust right now... Let's see which mod gets done first.

Mel

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
I had looked at doing this last December, but I'm glad to see you wrote this down so that I don't have to start from scratch. I'm fawning over a "sportier" exhaust right now... Let's see which mod gets done first.
Did you know the 2015 now has a one piece exhaust, welded to the headers? It's not as easy to throw on a slip-on.
If I did not appreciate the stealth of my bike, I might have considered a full system from ixil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode