On my two Gen 1 Vs I added ZETA XC 'guards, and was happy to have them - they reduce wind and rain on your hands (HANDY in colder weather!), or, by removing the plastic bits, allow LOTS of airflow for HOT temps...!
The ZETA's plastic guards attach from the front making it a "snap" to remove or re-install them. Check the bolt threads inside the guards.
Unfortunately, Gen 3s require removing the handguards to remove the three Philips screws per side, and it's a BIT of a PITA, because there's NOT a lot of room around the levers.
I thought about how to 'mod' them, then decided today to DO it. First the guards have to be removed, the Philips screws removed, then I could measure the available aluminum for threading. Turns out the holes are 15/64" (5.9 mm), so checking my metric taps I could see that I'd need to go to 8 mm for the bolts, which requires 'opening' the holes to 17/64" to tap to 8 mm 1.25 pitch.
I drilled the first hole, then 'tapped' it (in case the whole idea wouldn't work), and it worked just fine...
so I continued w/ the other two holes on that side (drilled both, then tapped both).
Next was to drill thru the plastic, so I figured a tad more than 8 mm should work, and got out a 21/64" bit, which worked great (go slowly, making sure the NEW holes line-up w/ the now-threaded stock holes).
Soon I had all three done, some spare 8 mm bolts 'standing-in' for some stainless steel 'button-head' socket capscrews (looks like 8 mm 1.25 x 20mm UNLESS I can get 17mm length!) which I'll pick up tomorrow. Here the right guard all complete, but fastened w/ 'industrial-grade' bolts....
NOW it's a 5 minute job to remove the plastic guards...!