• 1 Post By IAMRA
  • 1 Post By wingfart
  • 1 Post By wingfart
  • 1 Post By bigaussie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
brakes spongy

Ok, so i bleed the brakes really well. Lever can be compressed fully and is spongy. Not really that firm. I take calipers off and put a skinny piece of wood between the pads. Lever is firm like it should be. Any ideas?

Trying to wrap my head around this. ill look back over my bracket i tabbed up to use the verses calipers on the 929 forks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I think you still have air in the line. Lots of good advice on this thread.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tml#post143035
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

theres no air in the lines. Put the calipers on the brake disc not attached to the brackets and lever was hard. Put calipers bolted to brackets, brackets bolted tight to fork legs, calipers bolted to brackets tight then loose a turn and lever hard. Tighten calipers too brackets tight and lever gets softer.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by borjawil View Post
theres no air in the lines. Put the calipers on the brake disc not attached to the brackets and lever was hard. Put calipers bolted to brackets, brackets bolted tight to fork legs, calipers bolted to brackets tight then loose a turn and lever hard. Tighten calipers too brackets tight and lever gets softer.
Can you take some photos?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 PM

One thing that might cause this if your calipers are not floating the way they should. When loose from the fork leg, applying the brake will pinch whatever you have between the brake pads and the lever will feel hard. When bolted to the fork leg, if the calipers don't float, they will first flex the disk into the opposite brake pad, before getting a solid grab onto the disk, giving the brake lever that soft feeling. If this is the case, the calipers will have to be disassembled, and the sliders greased, to make them float the way they are intended.
twowheels likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfart View Post
One thing that might cause this if your calipers are not floating the way they should. When loose from the fork leg, applying the brake will pinch whatever you have between the brake pads and the lever will feel hard. When bolted to the fork leg, if the calipers don't float, they will first flex the disk into the opposite brake pad, before getting a solid grab onto the disk, giving the brake lever that soft feeling. If this is the case, the calipers will have to be disassembled, and the sliders greased, to make them float the way they are intended.
This sounds about right. When they brakes are not applied should the out or inner pad be nearest (basically touching) the rotor? As far as Im aware when the brakes are applied the pistons on the outside press the outside pad into the rotor. Once contact/pressure is made with the outside pad, the inner pad moves to the rotor from the slides. Is that correct?

Ill have to get pics up, I do have braking in the front now, but its not as good as id like. Looking from the side of the front wheel, there is the fork leg mounts, the bracket behind that, and the caliper behind that. I added a washer between the bracket and caliper and that has allowed for some braking. Better lever feel if the bracket to caliper bolts are loosened a turn or so - thats why i added the washer.

Last edited by borjawil; 05-06-2016 at 01:29 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 03:27 PM

There should be very little clearance between the pads on either side of the rotor when the brakes are not being applied. After breaking, and releasing the brake lever, the pads will back off just enough for the rotor to freely rotate with negligible rubbing. If you can see clearance between the stationary pad (closest to the fork) and the rotor, the sliders are very probably seized and will required disassembly and lubrication.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Braking has improved, spongy somewhat on the first half to 3/4, but grabs more towards the end. There is not a lot of clearance as far as Im aware, ill have to recheck. Im thinking since the bracket bolts to the sliding part it may be twisting the sliding part/pins when tightened fully. Ill keep inspecting and playing with it. Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 05:32 PM

Garage
My advice is to install stainless steel braided brake lines.

I can't believe how much better the braking is.

I changed Miss Jaffa's 6 months ago and should have done it 6 years ago.
twowheels likes this.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

The ones ive seen are expensive. Met a guy on my travels (have his card some where) who got custom steel lines for $40 a set. Ill have to see if I can get a hold of him and get a bunch of sets made if anyone is interested. I will sell at a profit because I like money and itll still save the buyer money.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 05:22 PM

I had a similar problem on my old bmw. Turns out the front abs unit was shot and needed replacing. try and run a computer diagnostic on your bike.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I dont think my bike has ABS? How do I know? I have no connetors at the calipers and only the switch connections at the master.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 04:46 PM

It would say on the bike and it would have an extra ring with a bunch of holes in it by the hub
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by borjawil View Post
theres no air in the lines.
How can you be so sure ???

All you are depicting is a sign of air in the system ...

LOP
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Because if I place the caliper on the rotor and squeeze the lever its hard. If there was air in the system it was compress and the lever would move. Also because I put A LOT of brake fluid through it, and used a vacuum pump to remove all air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode