• 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Aluminum rear rack for my '15 650LT

I had made a rack to attach to my ktmduals rack on my '09, for camping expeditions, so when that got 'written-off' last July and I took delivery of its replacement, the 2015 650LT, it was in the 'planning' stage.

I added the Kawasaki rack (designed for the Kawi trunk) a few weeks back, then got to work.

FIRST - I ordered a piece of aluminum 20"W x 24"L, w/ two bends put in on their brake at the 24" end. First bend was 4" from the end, at 30 degrees, w/ another break at 90 degrees 1" from the same end. Here's a pic:

As I wanted it mounted more forward than I'd done on the '09, I thought it would be a good idea to be able to remove the seat to get at the battery w/ the rack still attached, so next I figured WHERE and HOW to make the cut, and marked it onto the aluminum, PLUS about 1/2" more.

Then I cut it out w/ a jig-saw, and smoothed the edge.

Next up was to match the holes in the Kawi rack, to attach this one to,

then set-up my drill press, and 'bore' the four holes.

On the '09 rack I'd drilled many holes around the whole periphery for the tie-downs, but this time I decided to use some 5/16" "eye-bolts" that previously were used in pulling Chev V8 engines, so I drilled three holes across the rear 90 degree pat, as well as two per side up front. (I use ROK Straps, and did NOT want there to be any chance that a sharp-edge in a drilled hole would cut them!)

Additionally I wanted the bolts that hold MY rack to the Kawi rack to be metric, button-head socket stainless ones c/w locknuts and washers, to avoid holes thru my waterproof canoe-bags holding my gear...!

Then, between adjacent eye-bolts on the rear, I added some red reflective tape.

Total cost (not including my time, or the eye-bolts and tape...) was $45 Canadian. HOPEFULLY it'll work as well as the '09 rack did, tho' it won't be as FAR back...!

weljo2001, chid and 1largebarge like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
does it work like a car spoiler, creates down force???
very nice job.... a lot of storage space now.

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
does it work like a car spoiler, creates down force???
very nice job.... a lot of storage space now.
NOPE - it works like a "fork-lift"..., the 'down-force' comes from the WEIGHT of the stuff I put ON it....

(Don't think I want any MORE down-force from a spoiler...!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The added downforce from this "spoiler" must not help keep the front wheel down..

Ring Rippers Founding Father
[/FONT]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:54 PM

Garage
Nice job eddie, it puts more "vers" in your Versys.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:56 PM

Garage
So the drill I was going to use crapped out on my last night. I took it out of the spare tool box when dad passed and the drill was older than dirt. No wonder he always kept it in the 'spare' toolbox...
I'm going to see if I can borrow the Milwaukee cordless (AND brushless!!) drill from work home with me tonight. Go buy a cheap drill bit and have my way with it! Wish me luck!

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's a luggage rack! Nice job indeed. I suspect it could also be used for carrier landing practice when not in use hauling camping gear.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1largebarge View Post
The added downforce from this "spoiler" must not help keep the front wheel down..
Downforce is DIRECTLY related to speed, so I don't think it'll stop wheelies...!

1largebarge likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Downforce is DIRECTLY related to speed, so I don't think it'll stop wheelies...!

Do you watch Moto GP? The announcers are hilarious, stating that the riders put these new wings on their bikes for the downforce they provide in slow, tight corners.
Someone, prolly a former racer, commented on one that he thought their primary mission was to create turbulence to prohibit riders behind from gaining advantage from drafting. That made a lot more sense. Still hear a reporter every race talking nonsense about "low speed downforce."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

BTW - way back in pre-historic times when I was running a Triumph fuel drag bike, I would come off the line at near 7,000 rpm when I "dropped the clutch" (this was before we did burn-outs, so the rear tire was 'smoking' for most of the quarter mile!) and the bike was starting to "hook-up" and pull the front wheel OFF going thru the 'eyes' at somewhere N of 130 mph....

EXCITING...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Wild Thing - my dragbike

Here are some pics from a magazine that ran an article about the bike 49 years ago...!

I apologize for the poor quality of the pics....

ATYC and raverson like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode