brake line routing - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
brake line routing

So I didnt take before pictures cause i like to take risks in life. Real badass over here. Any who, after swapping on the 929 front end and making caliper brackets, the front brake lines seem out of place. Pretty sure due to the brackets the calipers are now lower on the rotors than stock.

How are the stock lines routed and held out of the way of things? Does the hose from the master go on top of the other line or under the other line tht connects both calipers? I have the hose from the master connector to the right caliper at this time.

When bleeding do I bleed the right or left caliper first? (sitting on the bike view).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by borjawil View Post
So I didnt take before pictures cause i like to take risks in life. Real badass over here. Any who, after swapping on the 929 front end and making caliper brackets, the front brake lines seem out of place. Pretty sure due to the brackets the calipers are now lower on the rotors than stock.

How are the stock lines routed and held out of the way of things? Does the hose from the master go on top of the other line or under the other line that connects both calipers? I have the hose from the master connector to the right caliper at this time.

When bleeding do I bleed the right or left caliper first? (sitting on the bike view).
When bleeding my front brakes I bled one side, then the other, then back to the original side, then the other. Think I did this 3 or 4 times in total before I got all the air out completely. Get a cheap bleed bottle and be prepared to pour the collected fluid back into the reservoir several times on the brake handle. Those micro bubbles that you have to look very carefully to see will take time and will require pumping lots of fluid through the system. 98% percent of the air comes out quickly but the remaining 2% or so, takes time. Even after you think all the air is out, run a reservoir of fluid through each side, just to see if more air comes out. Don't let the reservoir run dry while doing this or you will have to start over.

The benefit of doing this, along with installing steel braided lines, is a very firm, precise, brake lever feel. I compared my brake feel pull to a new versys on the showroom floor. My brake handle goes from very low resistance to extreme firmness, when the pads touch, with no in between sponginess like the stock bike. With the improved braking force feedback, I feel I can more closely modulate braking force, and in the process brake harder without feeling like I am going to accidentally lock up the front wheel.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-04-2016 at 02:04 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
...How are the stock lines routed and held out of the way of things?....
Mine are mounted one-on-top-of-the-other at the master cylinder.

I ran the two lines down then used a zip-tie to hold them near the lower triple-tree, w/ one going to each caliper.

Quote:
...Does the hose from the master go on top of the other line or under the other line that connects both calipers?....
IF you can - run separate lines to each caliper.

Quote:
...When bleeding do I bleed the right or left caliper first? (sitting on the bike view).
IF you run two lines, just start w/ the FURTHEST from the master - that'd be the left one.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I do not have two brake lines from the master. Thats why i asked in which position the hose from the master goes - on top of the hose that connects the two caliper or below. Or does it not matter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

On my '15 ABS the line goes to the LEFT caliper, then up-and-OVER-the fender to the right side.

My SERVICE MANUAL does NOT give any instructions on WHICH caliper to do first, but I think I would do the right first, as it's the furthest from the master cylinder....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Biz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=twowheels;1135010]When bleeding my front brakes I bled one side, then the other, then back to the original side, then the other. Think I did this 3 or 4 times in total before I got all the air out completely. Get a cheap bleed bottle and be prepared to pour the collected fluid back into the reservoir several times on the brake handle. Those micro bubbles that you have to look very carefully to see will take time and will require pumping lots of fluid through the system.

Trust me... Never, Ever put brake fluid that's been pushed out the bleeder back into the master cylinder. You don't want contamination or aerated fluid re-introduced into the system. Brake fluid is cheap, buy a big bottle and use fresh fluid.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
...Trust me... Never, Ever put brake fluid that's been pushed out the bleeder back into the master cylinder. You don't want contamination or aerated fluid re-introduced into the system. Brake fluid is cheap, buy a big bottle and use fresh fluid.
Absolutely correct!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode