How to measure Decibel level of horns - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How to measure Decibel level of horns

The few threads I have read on this seem to take the reading at about 1 metre or 3 feet away. Question is motor running or not? Correct distance or not?

This afternoon I will be having someone from our environmental section using a professional device measure the Db of the 2015 650 horn.

Thoughts?

Trafman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I believe the manufacturers choose where to measure from to market their horns.

Are you doing this to perform a comparison with other horns? If so, then you state the test conditions that were used.

If you are wanting to know so you can determine how effective the horn is at alerting others about your presence, then by the time they are 3 feet from you, you will be too busy avoiding to use your horn.

If you want to know if the horn will get someone's attention then you have to simulate an actual scenario as closely as possible. Have the meter in a car with the windows up, and you ride in their blind spot and hit your horn. Then have them approach you while you are hitting the horn and measure how close you are when the horn gets to a level that would get someone's attention.

Have fun.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
motor running (14V vs 12V)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I believe the manufacturers choose where to measure from to market their horns.

Are you doing this to perform a comparison with other horns? If so, then you state the test conditions that were used.

If you are wanting to know so you can determine how effective the horn is at alerting others about your presence, then by the time they are 3 feet from you, you will be too busy avoiding to use your horn.

If you want to know if the horn will get someone's attention then you have to simulate an actual scenario as closely as possible. Have the meter in a car with the windows up, and you ride in their blind spot and hit your horn. Then have them approach you while you are hitting the horn and measure how close you are when the horn gets to a level that would get someone's attention.

Have fun.
Running engine.
Sound reading taken by instrument panel 95 Db
Sound reading from 1 metre directly in front of horn 117 DB
Sound reading from 5 metres diagonal offset 1.5 metres from right side of bike 101 Db
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 02:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafman View Post
Running engine.
Sound reading taken by instrument panel 95 Db
Sound reading from 1 metre directly in front of horn 117 DB
Sound reading from 5 metres diagonal offset 1.5 metres from right side of bike 101 Db
So, what conclusion do you draw from the data?

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
So, what conclusion do you draw from the data?
that the 115DB rating one them is not just marketing BS

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 05:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Sounds like marketing BS to me. Move two feet away and the sound level drops by 50 percent.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
I didn't know what the manufacture rating was on the horn. I did it to see if I should install a louder horn. My suzuki's horn was very anemic. My Beemer's horn was very loud but I never tested it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Stock Horn Sucks.... I went with a Stebel Nautilus..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLx3CN0hoPo

IMG_0009 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
You can test the Db output w/ a "Db meter", but what REALLY works is the response from drivers who aren't paying attention as they drift into your lane, and you hit the horn button...!

I had a Nautilus, but it 'died' so I went to a WOLO BadBoy (looks the same!). I've had cars ALMOST roll getting out of my lane when the horn goes off, sounding like a Perterbilt semi!

Also - I can hear it at highway speed even wearing ear-plugs, which the stock horn wasn't loud enough to do.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Sounds like marketing BS to me. Move two feet away and the sound level drops by 50 percent.
More than that. -3 db is a loss of 50% in terms of power.

That will be a problem with most any horn. Higher frequency sounds are directional. Low frequency not so much. That's why a subwoofer can be stuck in any crevice in a room, but tweeters need to be pointed right at the level and direction of the listener.
'That's one issue I have with aftermarket horns. I want one that is going to fit in a direction where the horn is pointing forward. Those things are pretty big and there's not a lot of room under the body work.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
This works PDG on my '15....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode