Maintenance: Drive Chain Guide Wear - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Maintenance: Drive Chain Guide Wear

I bought a used 2008 V with an unknown service history, so I'm going through the entire Periodic Maintenance chart myself and making sure it's in good shape.

But then I get to "Drive Chain Guide Wear - Inspect". Supposed to be done every 7,500 miles, so about once every year or two. Okay, let's see…

Step One: Remove the swingarm.

Um, what? Does anyone actually DO this on this schedule, and is there a way to inspect the chain guide without pulling the whole damn back end apart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I only needed to adjust my chain a few times on the 22,000 miles i had on the bike when i sold it and the chain was as good as new. Lubed it about every 500 miles with DuPont Chain Saver chain lube. Used a Motion Pro Chain Alignment Tool to make sure the chain was correct. The adjustment marks on the swing arm were off. Just loosen up the Axle nut and the alignment nuts and adjust chain....

IMG_1728 by weljo2001, on Flickr
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I only needed to adjust my chain a few times…
Um, no, not chain tension or lubrication/stretch, the Chain Guide. The black thing that guides the chain along the swingarm.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebel View Post
Um, no, not chain tension or lubrication/stretch, the Chain Guide. The black thing that guides the chain along the swingarm.

Okay I Gotcha Ya. Again never had to deal with the Chain Guide the 4 years i had my bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Chain Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebel View Post
This can be removed from the front when the counter sprocket is off, it is all one piece, I had my guide off of the 07, next to no wear, if you look you will see a bolt in the middle of the swing arm, take that out and remove from the front.
I have no idea why you would want to take it off, you can see 70% top and bottom and the other 30% from the front with the counter sprocket cover off.
More important is to lube/ inspect your chain /slack on a regular basis. I do my chain every 500 KM or sooner, if it is at 350 KM and I am going on a 300 KM ride, I lube it before going, reset my trip B, and good to go. Chain adjustment typically was every 8000 KM.
Hope this helps, lots of threads and advice on chains on this forum.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You do however need to remove the swingarm to inspect, clean, and grease the bearings and seals. It can be found to be dry and rusty... I did mine early as something didn't feel right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You mean the rear suspension swingarm? When I checked mine at 2600 miles, I found that the swingarm's sleeve (inner race) was practically seized in the needle bearings, and wearing in on the mount bolt and within the frame already. No rust or lack of grease, just too tight to allow normal operation. The sleeve is supposed to stay put with the mount bolt in the frame, with the needle bearings rotating around it along with the swingarm. Needle bearings are held in place with polyethylene assembly compound which is taking up most of the available space for proper grease, but I'd have to remove the seals and ball bearing to pull it all out.
I smoothed down the sleeve with wet 1500 grit silicon-carbide waterproof sandpaper to remove the needle bearings' marks where they sat, then polishing compound, cleaned and re-packed with synthetic grease (NLGI #2). The sleeve fits a bit loosely within the frame which has to be torqued down on it with the long mount bolt, so I secured it back at 90+ ft-lbs instead of 80. It's rotating nice and smoothly now, and I don't get that strange feedback in sharps bumps like I used to.

I checked, cleaned and re-greased it before taking it out again this year at 7700 miles, and it looks great. Needle bearings are rotating freely in their polyethylene 'cage'.

There is also a sealed ball bearing in the right side. Some other forum member mentioned having to replace it once, along with the seal.

Anyone who's taken off their swingarm ... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

You can also check your shock mounts.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...arm-today.html

You might like this too: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...provement.html
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
This can be removed from the front when the counter sprocket is off, it is all one piece, I had my guide off of the 07, next to no wear, if you look you will see a bolt in the middle of the swing arm, take that out and remove from the front…
By "counter sprocket" you mean the Engine Sprocket, I assume? If so, that's a MUCH better procedure than removing the entire swingarm every 7,500 miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You do however need to remove the swingarm to inspect, clean, and grease the bearings and seals. It can be found to be dry and rusty... I did mine early as something didn't feel right.
I'm hoping that I can wait on that until we move into a place with a garage… I know I'm gonna have to drop the swingarm eventually, but the thought of doing it every 7,500 miles in a condo parking lot just to check a chain guide seemed… excessive.

That being said, I bought the bike as salvage with 36,000 miles on it, and she looks like she was well cared for (except the drop that totaled her). I'm hoping that this won't be a pressing need before we can afford a house with a garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode